March 12, 2024 Monthly Chat

Hello everyone! Opening up the chat and we'll begin working on answers between now and tomorrow afternoon. Some answers may require me reaching out to the right team for a response so some answers may be delayed!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Hi Devon,

Earlier this week there was a thread about an INR being opened up well before the last estimated delivery date.  I believe it had only been 2 or 3 days since the piece was shipped.

Can you confirm or try to answer the following

a) Is it possible for a customer to open up an INR before the last estimated delivery date? If so how are the able to do this?

b) Does the type of shipping chosen have a play on an early INR being opened? In other words if there is tracking you can open up an early claim however if there is no tracking you cannot?

c) Can a CSR manually open up an early INR if the customer becomes irate?

I was always under the impression that regardless of the type of shipping chosen you cannot open an INR until the last estimated delivery date has passed.  And then the customers has 30 days from the last estimated delivery date to file a claim.  If this is incorrect than kindly let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@edubb101 wrote:

Hi Devon,

Earlier this week there was a thread about an INR being opened up well before the last estimated delivery date.  I believe it had only been 2 or 3 days since the piece was shipped.

a) Is it possible for a customer to open up an INR before the last estimated delivery date? If so how are the able to do this?

b) Does the type of shipping chosen have a play on an early INR being opened? In other words if there is tracking you can open up an early claim however if there is no tracking you cannot?

I was always under the impression that regardless of the type of shipping chosen you cannot open an INR until the last estimated delivery date has passed.  And then the customers has 30 days from the last estimated delivery date to file a claim.  If this is incorrect than kindly let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Hi @edubb101! Happy to help out here on this!

a) A customer can only open an INR once the latest estimated delivery date passed. We may ask that you wait 24 hours after the latest estimated delivery date to file an INR request.

b) The shipping company being used does not change the ability for a buyer to open an INR as long as they do so after the latest estimated delivery date.

c) CSR does have the ability to open an INR case early for a buyer under special circumstances. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Hello Devon,

Thank you for opening up the chat. Can you address the following please?

1. Was this concern fully addressed and corrected? From discussions on both boards it was recognized as a KNOWN issue on both boards Feb 10 ,2024.  https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/New-listings-will-be-ending-a-day-early/m-p/505405#M1517...   Have listings that had their original listing date been reverted to the correct dates? Will sellers that are on the bubble have to be worried about going over their their limit and being upcharged?
  2. Back in August of last year  there were numerous requests for a itemized invoice for each eBay Label, (Tax(s), fuel surcharge and discount.) How it has always been itemized with Shippo/Net Parcel,CP and PayPal shipping in the past. This does not affect me but for anyone it does it is a substantial amount of work to confirm these amounts and keeping their high cost accountant happy. This issue was never actually ever addressed. 
  3. Do you have an explanation why for (some) sellers Sellers Hub will show 1 number for posted listings but when someone else checks their store it shows a reduced number. I am aware of a 2 year seller  who should have 515 listings but checking their store they only have 495.(Recognized 1 month ago as an issue.) (Most sellers when they have issues like this find it very frustrating trying to explain to CS.) Do you know if their are "issues" with their shipping choices on a select few listings eBay will block the listing from being displayed vs providing an error message so seller can resolve? 
  4. Follow up to #3. Has there been any thought of adding something to Sellers Hub Search for a seller to sort by shipping option. From a listing search the only option is Free Shipping which not everyone utilizes. From personal attempts Bulk Editor & Shipping Policies. (Note: Item weight/size affect the available shipping options DIRECTLY.)

Thanks,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Lotz touches upon the lack of information on the ebay labels in post in number 2. 

I wanted to stress that it is really important that sellers have the information about the tax breakdown for a domestic label.   Sellers who have a business number can put the amount of tax that they paid for a label on their TD1 form. eBay makes it very difficult to know exactly how much that was. There isn't any one formula that a seller can use to figure out the tax on all labels, they need to take the buyer's province into account.  For commercial rates, Canada Post charges tax based on the buyer's province. So if package was being sent to Ontario the tax charged for a label would be higher than on a label that was printed for delivery in Alberta.

Actually I thought it was law that the tax we are paying has to be listed. Perhaps that isn't always the case but whether it is law or not, it's information that sellers should have.   eBay breaks out the tax on other things so it should be broken out for our labels as well. I don't know if others agree but for me it would be handle to have the option to print a receipt on the other half of a label.  I know that it is an option on the US platform.  If someone is using sticky labels I doubt that they would choose that option but it should be available. 

I'm concerned about the breakdown of fuel charge and the discount but the tax breakdown is a necessity for many sellers.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Has there been any indication from Canada Post on whether they were willing to keep the lower Tracked Packet USA prices that we have been getting. I believe the last information we had about it was that it was ended at the end of this month.

Obviously those lower prices affect sellers and buyers but they benefit ebay too as buyers do like when their item is tracked.  I know that many Canadians who rarely used tracking to the US have been using it since the price was lowered. 

If they do remove the lower tracked packet cost, will ebay be reinstating the small packet USA on ebay labels?  It has missing as an option for the past few months.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Has there been any indication from Canada Post on whether they were willing to keep the lower Tracked Packet USA prices that we have been getting. I believe the last information we had about it was that it was ended at the end of this month.

I wouldn't expect an announcement much before the last week of the month, but hopefully they will give us some lead time for whatever that announcement is.  My guess is that there will be some sort of increase since the USPS increased their rates by about 6% towards the end of January. Hopefully the changes will be something around that range and the discounts will continue. It's made a HUGE difference for me since I don't have access to a cross border shipper. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Actually I thought it was law that the tax we are paying has to be listed. Perhaps that isn't always the case but whether it is law or not, it's information that sellers should have.   eBay breaks out the tax on other things so it should be broken out for our labels as well. I don't know if others agree but for me it would be handle to have the option to print a receipt on the other half of a label.  I know that it is an option on the US platform.  If someone is using sticky labels I doubt that they would choose that option but it should be available. 

My understanding, which could definitely be wrong, is that the tax MUST be broken down for sales over $30. Many labels don't reach that threshold and technically may not be required to have the breakdown, but there are many that do.  As it stands right now, I don't think we can claim the tax credits on any label $30 and over (at least until eBay provides us with the proper receipts). 

It's also a major pain to try and work it out since the line items for the labels don't include the province or postal code it was sent to. They have to be cross-referenced by order id first. Even just the province being added would be a help.

I'd also be interested to know whether we are charged the tax on the shipping labels based on a  pass-through from Canada Post or as a service by eBay. In other words, if we're being taxed on them as a service ALL labels might be taxed at the rate for our provice. If the tax is being passed through, then the HST/PST/GST amounts baked into the label would depend on the destination province (I think).

Could you please look into those last few issues Devon?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Recently while using the bulk editor a red "missing return policy" error has been displayed for all listings using Flat Rate shipping. This despite all having 30 day return policies in effect for both Domestic and International.

Upon investigation, I discovered the root cause lay in missing Shipping Details, namely I had not provided a Weight and Dimensions in Packaging Details.

Before now I had not bothered with providing Packaging Details for listings using flat rate shipping, especially so when shipping with Lettermail.

Is it now mandatory to provide Packaging Details when using flat rate shipping?

The error disappeared after providing, 30g 17 x 12 x 1 cm.

Note the form does not accept a value under 1 cm, that's kind of chunky for regular Lettermail.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

c) CSR does have the ability to open an INR case early for a buyer under special circumstances.

Does this include transactions where the seller did not use (or did not supply) a tracking number?

Many Canadian (and other non-US) sellers don't use tracking partly because international tracking is very expensive and partly because we have more faith in the postal system than you guys down south.

We know that we will lose an INR claim, but trust that most people are honest and will wait out the period eBay gives for delivery.

And 99 and 44/100ths of the time it works fine.

The problem is with impatient buyers who don't want to see the delivery window.

Actually I thought it was law that the tax we are paying has to be listed.

I think this varies from province to province.

Just to make lives more difficult.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Devon,

Thank you for opening up the chat. Can you address the following please?

1. Was this concern fully addressed and corrected? From discussions on both boards it was recognized as a KNOWN issue on both boards Feb 10 ,2024.  https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/New-listings-will-be-ending-a-day-early/m-p/505405#M1517...   Have listings that had their original listing date been reverted to the correct dates? Will sellers that are on the bubble have to be worried about going over their their limit and being upcharged?
  2. Back in August of last year  there were numerous requests for a itemized invoice for each eBay Label, (Tax(s), fuel surcharge and discount.) How it has always been itemized with Shippo/Net Parcel,CP and PayPal shipping in the past. This does not affect me but for anyone it does it is a substantial amount of work to confirm these amounts and keeping their high cost accountant happy. This issue was never actually ever addressed. 
  3. Do you have an explanation why for (some) sellers Sellers Hub will show 1 number for posted listings but when someone else checks their store it shows a reduced number. I am aware of a 2 year seller  who should have 515 listings but checking their store they only have 495.(Recognized 1 month ago as an issue.) (Most sellers when they have issues like this find it very frustrating trying to explain to CS.) Do you know if their are "issues" with their shipping choices on a select few listings eBay will block the listing from being displayed vs providing an error message so seller can resolve? 
  4. Follow up to #3. Has there been any thought of adding something to Sellers Hub Search for a seller to sort by shipping option. From a listing search the only option is Free Shipping which not everyone utilizes. From personal attempts Bulk Editor & Shipping Policies. (Note: Item weight/size affect the available shipping options DIRECTLY.)

Thanks,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies!

1. I know that our Tech team has been aware of the issue with the listing dates and have implemented a solution that hopefully should correct this.

2. Thank you for the feedback and concern on this as I will have all of this passed along to our Shipping and Product teams.

3. This was a sitewide issue that shows resolved on our end and if there are sellers that are still running into this I highly recommend that they reach out to customer support to have a ticket open on their account to have this resolved.

4. From my knowledgeable that has not been anything that is on the roadmap as an implementation. I can be sure to have this recommendation passed along to the correct Product team. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Obviously those lower prices affect sellers and buyers but they benefit ebay too as buyers do like when their item is tracked.  I know that many Canadians who rarely used tracking to the US have been using it since the price was lowered. 

If they do remove the lower tracked packet cost, will ebay be reinstating the small packet USA on ebay labels?  It has missing as an option for the past few months.

Hi @pjcdn2005! For this all I can share is that our Shipping team has been in deep discussions with Canada Post for various things and to stay tuned as will announce any new updates on this matter! 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@flipistics wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

My understanding, which could definitely be wrong, is that the tax MUST be broken down for sales over $30. Many labels don't reach that threshold and technically may not be required to have the breakdown, but there are many that do.  As it stands right now, I don't think we can claim the tax credits on any label $30 and over (at least until eBay provides us with the proper receipts). 

It's also a major pain to try and work it out since the line items for the labels don't include the province or postal code it was sent to. They have to be cross-referenced by order id first. Even just the province being added would be a help.

I'd also be interested to know whether we are charged the tax on the shipping labels based on a  pass-through from Canada Post or as a service by eBay. In other words, if we're being taxed on them as a service ALL labels might be taxed at the rate for our provice. If the tax is being passed through, then the HST/PST/GST amounts baked into the label would depend on the destination province (I think).

Could you please look into those last few issues Devon?

Hi @flipistics! Thank you for reaching out on this and I will be sure to share all of this information in my meetings with Product team leaders. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Does this include transactions where the seller did not use (or did not supply) a tracking number?

Many Canadian (and other non-US) sellers don't use tracking partly because international tracking is very expensive and partly because we have more faith in the postal system than you guys down south.

We know that we will lose an INR claim, but trust that most people are honest and will wait out the period eBay gives for delivery.

And 99 and 44/100ths of the time it works fine.

The problem is with impatient buyers who don't want to see the delivery window.

Actually I thought it was law that the tax we are paying has to be listed.

I think this varies from province to province.

Just to make lives more difficult.

Hi @femmefan1946! If there is no tracking number supplied, eBay will still make the effort to base an INR case off of the latest estimated delivery date and more details of that can be found here on our help pages. 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@edubb101 wrote:

Hi Devon,

Thank you for your time.

a) A customer can only open an INR once the latest estimated delivery date passed. We may ask that you wait 24 hours after the latest estimated delivery date to file an INR request.

b) The shipping company being used does not change the ability for a buyer to open an INR as long as they do so after the latest estimated delivery date.

devon@ebay  Can you please clarify? According to @edubb101  it appears the INR WAS opened up before it should have been possible. I've had this happen to me a time or 2. I've just messaged my buyers in those cases letting them know that their item should be their shortly. Which it usually is. Then the challenge is getting the buyer to close their case which is a whole other can of worms. According to your original response it is not supposed to be possible.

-Lotz

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

devon@ebay wrote:

@edubb101 wrote:

Hi Devon,

Thank you for your time.

devon@ebay  Can you please clarify? According to @edubb101  it appears the INR WAS opened up before it should have been possible. I've had this happen to me a time or 2. I've just messaged my buyers in those cases letting them know that their item should be their shortly. Which it usually is. Then the challenge is getting the buyer to close their case which is a whole other can of worms. According to your original response it is not supposed to be possible.

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! Based on the information provided it appears that CSR could have opened the INR early. Due to account specific information I am unable to provide anymore clarify on this situation. 

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Hi eveyone and thank you for joining this month's chat! I am still working on geting questions answered. Please join again next month! 

Message 17 of 17
latest reply