October 17th 2018 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Opening the chat, feel free to leave a question for me to address tomorrow!

Tyler

Issue Status Latest Update Action taken/Next Steps
Error message displays when saving items as draft Closed Tech unable to recreate If this still occurs please page me to the thread
See other items' does not show all items Closed Tech unable to recreate If this still occurs please page me to the thread
Your recently viewed' items are not staying cleared when cleared Reported to Tech for review    
Community Feedback: 'Follow', 'Ignore', and 'Message' buttons not on profile Open Current settings do not allow for this Working to get more information on if possible/how to implement
Unable to add items to an active Sale event + Markdown Reported to Tech for review    
Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Hello Tyler,

Vision-related issues:

1. With the new Sellers Hub, why did they decide on 2 different views for Active listings and Unsold Listings? Large and Small. When going back and forth trying to either Relist or Sell Similar it is very annoying with the 2 views.  Especially for sellers with reduced vision issues. Can only imagine how it is for 5 or 6 sellers in Canada that do their listings on a smartphone.  🙂

2. Would it be possible to amend the current Relisted emails to remove the Check your special offers and make more money!  That was added to the tag line?It was much more useful when the countdown of listings available was AT the time of listing vs in an email. Also, as a seller it would give us a complete view of what was relisted without having to open each email to confirm to avoid the possibility of accidentally double listing something in error vs the 10 letters of text + ... we are seeing now.

3. Bidding Issue. I recently noticed during the bidding process of auction listing at the end  it, it brings you to a NOT ALWAYS similar item and then puts you into the bidding process for that item without it being entirely clear what you are actually bidding on. Shouldn't it bring you to the Ended Listing advising you that you have not won and THEN can suggest other "Similar" items? 

Bidders base their bids on the full item description as well as its location. Hope I've explained this scenario adequately!

Thanks,

-CM

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Hi Tyler the issue of saving a draft on .ca using chrome is still an issue.  I cleared my cache, used cc cleaner and it is still happening and has been happening for a few months.   

It doesn't happen when I save a draft on .com or when I use edge.  There are others that are experiencing the same thing.  Here is the picture just in case you didn't remember.  

not private 2.jpg

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Does ebay track buyers who claim INR?  If not, they should.  It is interesting to note that since I use tracking for everything except for Canada (too expensive) my INR is only limited to Canada now.  

Mo made a good point.

"Like I frequently say, tracked items don’t go ‘missing’ the same way untracked ones do. Statistically, they’re all part of the same mailstream and therefore just as likely to be ‘lost’ so that leads me to suspect most INRs are, in reality, false claims either borne of deception or impatience."

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I would like the ability to put items on hold (like a back burner).  For example Christmas items, I would like in February 2019 to take them off my active listings and then relist them in Oct 2019.  I could use Turbo lister and may have to but that is something useful that the programmers could work on rather than some of the useless stuff they do.   

It takes 20 minutes for me to write a listing so I don't want to loose those listings.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Looking at the sold listing.  I go to the sold listing and it doesn't show me that but something else that is currently available.  I don't want to see that, I want to see the actual listing that was sold.

Ebay changed something over the last month or two and it is a pain.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

You also said that "see other items" was closed.  I just looked at one of my listing and it doesn't have it there.  Did I miss something.  Bring it back.

see other items.jpg

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I also get the "Not Secure" when saving a draft. Using Firefox on an iMac.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Good Morning Tyler. 

At first glance my opinion of the new Sales Record layout was very positive, it appeared well thought out and designed ... I liked it.

First thing Monday morning I sat down in front of my Desktop intending to prepare 9 orders for shipment even though some of them were still awaiting payment.

Of the 9 items sold, 8 were to be sent LetterMail and 1 via Expresspost. (Hooray free shipping Tuesdays!)

I've always prepared shipments by PRINTING out ALL of the address labels and packing slips required in a single printing session.  This way all is prepared and ready to go as payments are received over the coming days. When one of these slow payments is received all I have to do is pull the item(s), insert it and the already printed packing slip in an envelope, seal it and slap on the already printed address label and a stamp. DONE.

Unfortunately , the new Sales Record format does not allow for printing in advance everything needed.

SHIPPING ADDRESSES are not being provided while the item is still awaiting payment!

Mailing addresses have always been immediately available the moment an item sold, unpaid items have never had their buyers' mailing addresses hidden from the seller until now.

Why the change?  

The Sales Record supplies only a name, email, phone number and city but NO MAILING ADDRESS. 

The packing slip is OK, the mailing address is still there on those, why not in the Sales Record where it would be convenient to COPY to CLIPBOARD.

Because of this change, each time a delayed payment is received I am now forced to repeat the printing process for each order individually. This wastes a tremendous amount of time.

Now, I suppose it might be possible to copy and paste mailing addresses from PayPal transactions or maybe even from a PayPal confirmation email but that would be awkward, cumbersome and prone to errors. 

Surely the team responsible for this is able to restore mailing address data to all Sales Records including those still awaiting payment.

Please relay this feedback to the appropriate team for review. Thank you.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Hello Tyler,

Vision-related issues:

1. With the new Sellers Hub, why did they decide on 2 different views for Active listings and Unsold Listings? Large and Small. When going back and forth trying to either Relist or Sell Similar it is very annoying with the 2 views.  Especially for sellers with reduced vision issues. Can only imagine how it is for 5 or 6 sellers in Canada that do their listings on a smartphone.  🙂

2. Would it be possible to amend the current Relisted emails to remove the Check your special offers and make more money!  That was added to the tag line?It was much more useful when the countdown of listings available was AT the time of listing vs in an email. Also, as a seller it would give us a complete view of what was relisted without having to open each email to confirm to avoid the possibility of accidentally double listing something in error vs the 10 letters of text + ... we are seeing now.

3. Bidding Issue. I recently noticed during the bidding process of auction listing at the end  it, it brings you to a NOT ALWAYS similar item and then puts you into the bidding process for that item without it being entirely clear what you are actually bidding on. Shouldn't it bring you to the Ended Listing advising you that you have not won and THEN can suggest other "Similar" items? 

Bidders base their bids on the full item description as well as its location. Hope I've explained this scenario adequately!

Thanks,

-CM

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies!

1. I can't speak to why a styling decision like that was made, but I can see how it would be irritating. I encourage you to use the 'Comments?' link to communicate directly with the devs in charge of Seller Hub so they can be alerted to your experience.

2. I know that email formatting has been in the process of being overhauled over the course of the year - while I can't promise you a change I can make sure the right teams involved are made aware of the difficulty you're running into with this. Thanks!

3. Not quite sure I'm on the same page, but if I follow you I think I can address this. Ultimately we want to make sure members find what they are looking to purchase. In a lost auction situation we want to get potential buyers to similar items - which is why you're seeing that behaviour when clicking on the link from the bidding/buying page. However, there should always be a note at the top of that page that calls out that this is not the same item (usually some messaging like "the item you bid on is no longer available, but you can view the original listing here"). If you aren't seeing that will you get me some examples I can take a look at?

Also if I've misunderstood shoot me a message!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Tyler the issue of saving a draft on .ca using chrome is still an issue.  I cleared my cache, used cc cleaner and it is still happening and has been happening for a few months.   

It doesn't happen when I save a draft on .com or when I use edge.  There are others that are experiencing the same thing.  Here is the picture just in case you didn't remember.  

not private 2.jpg

Hi @musicyouneed - thanks for bringing this up. I was under the impression this had been resolved. I'll get it reported, thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Does ebay track buyers who claim INR?  If not, they should.  It is interesting to note that since I use tracking for everything except for Canada (too expensive) my INR is only limited to Canada now.  

Mo made a good point.

"Like I frequently say, tracked items don’t go ‘missing’ the same way untracked ones do. Statistically, they’re all part of the same mailstream and therefore just as likely to be ‘lost’ so that leads me to suspect most INRs are, in reality, false claims either borne of deception or impatience."

Hi @musicyouneed - rate of Item not Received requests is something we track and investigate. While it's genuinely possible that a buyer could just run into a spate of bad luck, a consistently high rate of these types of requests can be a cause of concern and something that our teams investigate and take action on as necessary.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I would like the ability to put items on hold (like a back burner).  For example Christmas items, I would like in February 2019 to take them off my active listings and then relist them in Oct 2019.  I could use Turbo lister and may have to but that is something useful that the programmers could work on rather than some of the useless stuff they do.   

It takes 20 minutes for me to write a listing so I don't want to loose those listings.

Hi @musicyouneed - you're not alone in wanting a tool like this! Turbolister is probably the simplest eBay tool to do this (though it's not currently being updated, so I can't guarantee it will always be available to you). File Exchange is the other eBay provided tool that could feasibly keep listings in an offline state ready to be re-uploaded. I will say right now that there is a learning curve to File Exchange, but it does have phone support from a great team of eBay employees that can help you troubleshoot and get up to speed on the how-tos. 

If you use Seller Hub, you could also consider the 'add to inventory' option, but for one off individual listings that may not make the most sense. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Looking at the sold listing.  I go to the sold listing and it doesn't show me that but something else that is currently available.  I don't want to see that, I want to see the actual listing that was sold.

Ebay changed something over the last month or two and it is a pain.

Hi @musicyouneed - this was a change from earlier this year to improve overall ranking within Google search results. You should have the option at the top of the page to 'view original (or ended) listing', but we will give you a similar item that is available. This helps increase conversion for sellers across the site, and is no longer penalizing our search results from Google because we were sending potential shoppers to 'ended' items that weren't available. 

If you are the seller or buyer in question, you should always be shown the listing that you sold/purchased!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

You also said that "see other items" was closed.  I just looked at one of my listing and it doesn't have it there.  Did I miss something.  Bring it back.

see other items.jpg

Hi @musicyouneed - this is also a change from earlier this year. Members with a store subscription only display the 'visit store' link on item pages. Those without a store are displaying 'view other items'. This was done to increase traffic to a member's store and lead to a higher conversion rate. It also helps funnel buyers into the sorting of your items that you prefer - one with your categories, sub-categories and branding displayed. There is not currently a plan in place to bring back the 'view other items' for those members with a store.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@kawartha-ephemera wrote:

Good Morning Tyler. 

At first glance my opinion of the new Sales Record layout was very positive, it appeared well thought out and designed ... I liked it.

First thing Monday morning I sat down in front of my Desktop intending to prepare 9 orders for shipment even though some of them were still awaiting payment.

Of the 9 items sold, 8 were to be sent LetterMail and 1 via Expresspost. (Hooray free shipping Tuesdays!)

I've always prepared shipments by PRINTING out ALL of the address labels and packing slips required in a single printing session.  This way all is prepared and ready to go as payments are received over the coming days. When one of these slow payments is received all I have to do is pull the item(s), insert it and the already printed packing slip in an envelope, seal it and slap on the already printed address label and a stamp. DONE.

Unfortunately , the new Sales Record format does not allow for printing in advance everything needed.

SHIPPING ADDRESSES are not being provided while the item is still awaiting payment!

Mailing addresses have always been immediately available the moment an item sold, unpaid items have never had their buyers' mailing addresses hidden from the seller until now.

Why the change?  

The Sales Record supplies only a name, email, phone number and city but NO MAILING ADDRESS. 

The packing slip is OK, the mailing address is still there on those, why not in the Sales Record where it would be convenient to COPY to CLIPBOARD.

Because of this change, each time a delayed payment is received I am now forced to repeat the printing process for each order individually. This wastes a tremendous amount of time.

Now, I suppose it might be possible to copy and paste mailing addresses from PayPal transactions or maybe even from a PayPal confirmation email but that would be awkward, cumbersome and prone to errors. 

Surely the team responsible for this is able to restore mailing address data to all Sales Records including those still awaiting payment.

Please relay this feedback to the appropriate team for review. Thank you.

Hi @kawartha-ephemera - thank you for sharing this input. I can make sure that the team involved with this gets your feedback. I also strongly suggest that you use the 'Comments?' section on the Sales Record page to get this input directly to the devs in charge of the page. They are very receptive to input and what you need. While there may not always be a perfect solution, I know that it's important to them that they create a page that offers as much, if not more, functionality for the broadest base of members as possible. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining this week - the chat is closed. 

I'll be on the boards and keeping an eye on things in general, feel free to tag me to a thread or shoot me a message 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Hi @kawartha-ephemera - I heard back from the Seller Hub team on this. They ask that you do take time to share any insight or feedback on changes via the 'Comments' link because they review each one the receive. 

When talking about the new Sales Record page, they had this to say:

The reason the new sales record page does not show the ship-to name and address when an order is ‘awaiting payment’ is because the buyer has not yet checked out and provided (or confirmed) the ship-to name or address. The old sales record page did show a name and address when an order was ‘awaiting shipment’, but it was actually just the buyer’s name and registration address – which was a risky thing to show since buyers can change the ship-to name and address when they check out and pay for the order. We want to avoid a situation where a seller could ship to the wrong person or wrong address.

So we made this change – to only show the ship-to name and address after the buyer provides it – to ensure that sellers accurately ship to the right person at the right address. In the case of this particular seller, we’re sorry that it’s leading to a decrease in efficiency. But, again, we made the change to increase accuracy.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 18
latest reply