September 11 2019 Weekly Session

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

How is September nearly halfway gone already?! Opening the chat for your questions, talk with you soon. 🙂

Tyler 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: September 11 2019 Weekly Session

A few weeks ago I told you I tried to make a label with Shippo but it wouldn't let me because the name was in Japanese. You answered that they said that shouldn't happen and I should contact them if it happened again. So last night the same thing happened, Can't print the label. If I use a name In English it works, but I don't know this buyers name. 

I tried to call but it seems there is no number. On thier page it says there is an option to contact shippo live chat but no link to do so. Only option is to email them, but is't been 24 hours and still nothing. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

One more small problem:

I cancelled a sale a few days ago and although it says it was cancelled it's also showing me thatit's past due. Any way to let it know it isnt past due?

Thanks

Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@bunbar 

An FYI on this. In checking with Shippo a few months back, their system is based on North American standards. Not really on end country delivery. They note it is not in the pipeline at this time. Presently as a work around, just make sure you label the package/documents according to any Canadapost specifics found using the website tool  AND the destination countries requirements for proper delivery, which can be located online or at their local postal website.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

You might have already solved this but have you tried using Paypal to print the label?  They used to allow the Mandarin alphabet so they likely are set up for Japanese as well.  

I don't remember what was said on the boards the last time that you had this problem but is it possible that you just need to download characters for the different languages for your printer?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I believe the issue is the font missing. To use characters in other languages, UTF-8 is needed which is an international font. Where to change this I do not remember.

It may be a browser language setting or option if the browser is doing the font and printing. However many shipping labels are printed to a PDF file output and you need to add an international font to the program used to produce the PDF file for printing. I had to add Chinese font to Adobe Acrobat Reader to print manuals for computer motherboards made in China.

Canada Post makes a PDF formatted label. From what I can see browsing the Internet, Shippo uses PDF formatted label.

I have been Google searching on this issue and see it mentioned as a common issue. But no clear solution and lots of misinformation posted.

The question I have is whether Shippo has to add the font to support the special characters when creating the label OR does the browser or PDF reader on the user computer have to have the font added to print if Shippo has it already in the label.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@bunbar 

Is the customer's name also in Japanese writing? Can you override it with his eBay ID? Manually typing that in?

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I finally heard from the buyer and was able to replace his name in English, so it let me print the label. 

Thanks

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Paypal will let me us it for sure but I'm not sure how to access paypal when I ship from Canada. It lets me use Paypal when I ship from the US. When I ship from Canada, Shippo pops up
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

Yesterday I received my first offer through messages.  Today I used the 'reply with offer' button found in the message.  I went to my sent messages to check the details of my reply and can't find my reply.  I did a search in the sent message folder using the recipient name, the item title etc and my reply with the counter offer is nowhere to be found.  My inbox shows the original message with a notation that I replied to the message today.  So where did it go?  Did the sender get my reply with the counter offer?

The Active Listings section in the Seller Hub does not show my counter offer either.  What do I do now?

Thanks,

Monika

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I can overide it if I had the name in English which i Finally got, but without it, Shippo shows his name in Japanese, and everything is fine until it tells me to pick a way I want it shipped, and then it says "Unfortunately, no rates have been found. Have you already activated some carriers in your Carrier Settings?
If you have problems, please let us know at info@goshippo.com – we would be happy to help you find the best rates!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Question about the option to send an offer directly to watchers.

I've used this successfully on .com listings, but always get 'invalid item' when I try to use it on .ca listings.

Any idea when (or if) it will be available for .ca listings?

Seems to me it was announced at last spring update, but no action, and nothing about this in the fall update either??

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Hi @bunbar - sorry to hear that Shippo hasn't gotten back to you yet! I echo others here that you aren't required to use them. Particularly if PayPal labels have the Japanese character capability, it seems like the best one to go with. 

You can go directly to PayPal, find the transaction and print a label there (from your PayPal account). Once printed, if it came with a tracking number, you'd want to update tracking on the eBay side of things as that's not always automatic. 

When it comes to the cancellation, I'm not sure what's happening. The 'overdue' note there is more a reminder to you, it shouldn't impact your on-time shipping metric since the transaction was cancelled. Granted - it should have gone away with the cancellation, but there should be no other impact for your account. Keep an eye on your Seller Dashboard and let me know if you see the transaction pop-up as a shipping miss!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Hi @cgphile - congrats on making the private offer!

We don't have a single page that you can easily access and view all your outstanding offers/counteroffers yet. However - for individual listings you can view all offers sent by adding in the item number at the end of this web address: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ManageBestOffers&itemid=(insert item id here).

I hope that helps!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hi @bookelph - Seller initiated offers to watchers is something that we announced this Spring Update as well as the recent Fall Update

We anticipate it being released this Fall, so hopefully you won't have to wait much longer!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Thanks for joining the chat! It's now closed, but will be back next week for your questions. 

Until then, I'll be about on the boards. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 16
latest reply