Any Canadian sellers here who use USPS to ship their items?

I am curious if there are any Canadian sellers who use USPS... like going down the the states and shipping their wares through there?

I'm asking because I've heard of some people doing this, but I am not sure of the logistics of it all, like, do you require a US mailing return address on it or can you use your own Canadian address? Do you even need a return address on it?

I have a bunch of posters that I would like to sell, but being from Canada, I am afraid that CanadaPost is going to charge an arm and a leg for them, so I would like to see if shipping via USPS is a viable option for me since I live near the border (though this would probably require me getting a Nexus pass to make it worth my time).

Message 1 of 261
latest reply
260 REPLIES 260

In Vancouver area, look up bookstotheborder on the Internet. They ship more than books to usps in the USA.
Message 61 of 261
latest reply

I want to re-start this thread.

The small packet Canada to US costs 8 dollars.

The same as Priority Mail US to US (WITH TRACKING!!!!) costs 4 dollars!  Delivery 2-3 days instead of 10!

Are here people who do that regularly?

I seriously consider to move to a border town.

ALL ADVICES WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Here some advices I found in other thread (from Electricnorth). Can someone confirm that they are up to date?

If you're bringing in merchandise to mail in the US, you need to fill out Form 7533 from the CBP website. You can bring items with a total value of up to $2000 using that form, but you can only ship $200 worth of items to a single person with that form. If you sell an item to one person for more than $200, you need to fill out Form 7523.

You also need to bring invoices for each item you intend to mail and I suggest bringing proof of the transaction (e.g. print out the auction page). Don't seal your items/close the boxes/mailers just in case US customs decides to look through them.

You have to pay a fee every time you enter. I don't remember exactly how much, but about $10+. Also, use the commercial lanes (usually where trucks and other commercial vehicles pass) when crossing.

Message 62 of 261
latest reply

I am from Montreal and the only way I can be competitive is by shipping with a courrier service here that bring all my deliveries across the border and ships it with USPS.

On average I pay 25% of what it would cost to mail from Canada Post.
Mail 4 packets for the price of 1 here.

Message 63 of 261
latest reply

The same as Priority Mail US to US (WITH TRACKING!!!!) costs 4 dollars!  Delivery 2-3 days instead of 10!

You cannot ship ANYTHING (within the USA) by USPS Priority  for $4 no matter how small or no matter short a distance it's going.

Maybe you could 10 years ago but not in 2014.

If you qualify for Commercial Plus pricing the rate for 1 pound is US$4.95 locally or $6.25 coast to coast. Slightly higher prices apply if you are paying Commercial Base rates.

Keep in mind that is for 454 grams while the comparable in Canada (Expedited) has a minimum charge which covers 750 grams.

Delivery times in the US are faster than Canada Post but not by much for major centres, I get 5 days Toronto to Vancouver and overnight to Southern Ontario or Montreal.

Regarding the information you reposted from Electricnorth, there have been a lot of changes in procedures at US Customs border crossings. Do not rely on any information more than 6 months old without confirming every detail in advance with US Customs. The basic info may still be correct but the documentation and processing procedures may have changed.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 64 of 261
latest reply

@recped wrote:

You cannot ship ANYTHING (within the USA) by USPS Priority  for $4 no matter how small or no matter short a distance it's going.

Maybe you could 10 years ago but not in 2014.

If you qualify for Commercial Plus pricing the rate for 1 pound is US$4.95 locally or $6.25 coast to coast. Slightly higher prices apply if you are paying Commercial Base rates.

Keep in mind that is for 454 grams while the comparable in Canada (Expedited) has a minimum charge which covers 750 grams.

Delivery times in the US are faster than Canada Post but not by much for major centres, I get 5 days Toronto to Vancouver and overnight to Southern Ontario or Montreal.

Regarding the information you reposted from Electricnorth, there have been a lot of changes in procedures at US Customs border crossings. Do not rely on any information more than 6 months old without confirming every detail in advance with US Customs. The basic info may still be correct but the documentation and processing procedures may have changed.

Thank you! You are right! I mixed up with First Class. My items have usually between 90 and 120 g.  Almost never more than 180 g.

6.25 sounds not so exciting. But still this tracking number .....

Concerning the delivery time. Just yesterday a customer from San Diego opened a INR dispute. 2 weeks were not enough to deliver from Montreal to San Diego. Finally, I found out, that CP shipped my item one week after I delivered it to the post office. 

I know that the procedures changes often, so I restarted this thread to be up to date.

Thank you for your extensive answer, Recped. I appreciate it!  

Message 65 of 261
latest reply

@dma55555 wrote:
I am from Montreal and the only way I can be competitive is by shipping with a courrier service here that bring all my deliveries across the border and ships it with USPS.

On average I pay 25% of what it would cost to mail from Canada Post.
Mail 4 packets for the price of 1 here.

They are called QAS express and there number is 514-979-6945

Thank you! I am also from Montreal. I need to find a solution. Just one hour ago I sold a 12 dol. item for 5 dol. (best offer).

It's because of the 8 dol. shipping charge! I am quite sure the offer would be much higher, if the shipping charge would be cheaper. I get a lot of questions and complaints about the cost of shipping.

I will call QAS Express - thank you for the advice!

Message 66 of 261
latest reply

First class would cost 4.22 dol. and delivers in 4 days. Priority - 2 days.
I would opt for first class. I sell in antiques, so 2+/- days make no difference.
Message 67 of 261
latest reply

Just printed 2 Small Packet shipping labels to US. I paid 7.47 USD with the new CAD exchange rate Smiley Happy

Message 68 of 261
latest reply

Message 69 of 261
latest reply

Hi!
I ship out of the USA via USPS; I live in Thunder Bay, and there is a post office just across the border in MN and the post master is LOVELY (Hi Mary!) 

The hours are kinda short though, so I am looking for an alternative to buying books of stamps and then dropping off my items. I will Both the Trading Post and Ryden's offer parcel pick up services for a cost of $3 per parcel.  I usually use the Trading Post because they don't charge you extra fees if it takes you more than a week to pick up.  I also use their address for returns  but I havent had to pay for any returns, luckily. I too am frustrated that I cannot buy stamps online using the services listed here on Ebay. Will check out the other options, but I only sell from time to time, so a monthly membership fee seems a bit steep.

According to the USPS website, you can leave packages in an unattended mailbox if they are less than 13 oz. and you have stamps on it for the correct amount.

Hope this is helpful!

Message 70 of 261
latest reply

I am looking for an alternative to buying books of stamps

Get a FREE account from Stamps.com

http://blog.stamps.com/2009/10/23/free-ebay-shipping-program/

One warning, finding the link to the actual FREE account is difficult, make sure you don't sign up for the paid version.

OK, I managed to find a link

http://www.stamps.com/welcome/custom/ebay/

You still need to be careful when you go through the sign-up, if you click the wrong button you will end up with the paid for version.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 71 of 261
latest reply

Looks interesting! Thank you all for the advices.

I wonder if I can print USPS directly from Ebay? If I click now, there is a "location" error, but if I switch to an US address (for example a postal box) will it work?

There is no such option in PayPal - the ship from address must be in Canada.

The pic is showing what I am talking about. On the left, you can see the message: "You need to have USA address. Click "Change" to create new address or select an already added USA address"

usps.jpg

Message 72 of 261
latest reply

Does anyone know of a company that will take packages from Winnipeg down to the US for shipping via USPS?

Message 73 of 261
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

Looks interesting! Thank you all for the advices.

I wonder if I can print USPS directly from Ebay? If I click now, there is a "location" error, but if I switch to an US address (for example a postal box) will it work?

There is no such option in PayPal - the ship from address must be in Canada.

The pic is showing what I am talking about. On the left, you can see the message: "You need to have USA address. Click "Change" to create new address or select an already added USA address"

You can print them via eBay.com using a US address but I recommend the free Stamps.com account, it will do all that you need and will be easier and more reliable. You will also need a US Address for that (although I've heard a rumour that may change).

If you take the stuff across the border you can rent a PO Box, if you use a service to take the packages over the border they can probably give you a US address to use.

Or you could just make one up........presuming returns are few and far between.

Message 74 of 261
latest reply

I just noticed that Stamps.com can import the data from Ebay/PayPal! Wow! Thank you for this valuable advice,Recped! 😉

You made my day! 😉

Message 75 of 261
latest reply

cron-m1
Community Member

There is another courier that does Toronto to USPS

It's called www.crossborderexpress.com

They charge a rate of a $ 1.00 per pkg

I like them because I know my packages will get there overnight

They have a drop place in Niagara Falls also

Message 76 of 261
latest reply

Hi you can't use the nexsus lane when you ship commercial items to the USA, they will take your nexsus card away and you need a manifest filled out. CBP Form 7533

Message 77 of 261
latest reply

Since my first post, many of you had already emailed me about shipping USPS from Calgary, Canada.

There has been a confusion and I would like to clarify.

It is now DYK Logistics who is doing this and they do not advertise.

Many sellers from Calgary are already using DYK.

Their trucks go down to USPS Montana regularly and  take along my packages for the same small fee.

I also pick up the USPS flat rate boxes and envelopes from them, free of charge.

I would never been able to sell and make any money on ebay without them.

Stay away from the ridiculously expensive Canadapost rates. Trust me.

Happy to help if I can. Just drop me a line.

latte403 wrote:

Just found out that DYK Home Plus in Calgary is shipping USPS from US.

They can take along your packages for a small fee of $1/package.

Message 78 of 261
latest reply

Hey,

Could anyone please send me the form to use for Customs, when crossing the border.

Thanks,

Kevin

Message 79 of 261
latest reply

@online-hockey-shop wrote:

Hey,

Could anyone please send me the form to use for Customs, when crossing the border.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/publications/forms

Message 80 of 261
latest reply