Anyone getting long delays with packages shipped to the USA?

I mailed two CD's on Feb 1st and neither buyer in the US have received them. I've never had this problem before. My only guess is the lady who processed the packages left off the Air Mail stickers. But I just thought I'd check and see if anyone else is having similar issues.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I looked at the apartment on google and it's very new/modern. So it may in fact have a reception...although it''s probably just a generic entry that USPS uses. I think in future, I will mention in my auctions that Apartment address have to go Express for items over $100.

Now you mention Tracked Packet... The reason I went Expedite is so I can have insurance over $100. The item I sold is almost $200 Canadian so Tracked Packet wasn't an option for me.

By the way, you say ebay/paypal doesn't require signature for a $150 item. What is the value in which they do? Is there a link where I can read this?

Thanks for you help.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

I think in future, I will mention in my auctions that Apartment address have to go Express for items over $100.

You can't do that unless that is the price they see in your shipping section and frankly, there's no reason to do that. There is absolutely no proof that there is more of a problem with items being delivered to apartments than to a house. In some cases, the apartment might be safer because it is in a locked box.

Tracked packet has insurance of up to $100 and since the post office has only lost of my packages with delivery confirmation in many years,   I wouldn't be willing to pay extra for another $50 in insurance. I realize that I may have a higher risk tolerance but I think that in the majority of cases, paying for insurance is a waste of money. That's just my opinion...I'm not saying that you should think the same way.

Paypal and ebay require a signature if the value is over $750 U.S. ($850Cdn) if the buyer puts in a claim for item not received. Also, as I mentioned earlier, some buyers get irritated when forced to go to the post office to pick up a parcel because they weren't home to sign for a package.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/seller-protection.html

There is information about it in the Paypal help pages as well.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I think in future, I will mention in my auctions that Apartment address have to go Express for items over $100.

You can't do that unless that is the price they see in your shipping section and frankly, there's no reason to do that. There is absolutely no proof that there is more of a problem with items being delivered to apartments than to a house. In some cases, the apartment might be safer because it is in a locked box.

That's true. Ok, scrap that.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Tracked packet has insurance of up to $100 and since the post office has only lost of my packages with delivery confirmation in many years,   I wouldn't be willing to pay extra for another $50 in insurance. I realize that I may have a higher risk tolerance but I think that in the majority of cases, paying for insurance is a waste of money. That's just my opinion...I'm not saying that you should think the same way.

I sent a $350US watch to the UK a few years back via Small Packet (before tracking was available) and the buyer never received it. (He never made an official ebay claim, so I believed him). After six weeks I refunded his money. That was a real blow for me at the time. Since then I've been a little more careful on how I ship items.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

@majestyk wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

That's true. Ok, scrap that.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I sent a $350US watch to the UK a few years back via Small Packet (before tracking was available) and the buyer never received it. (He never made an official ebay claim, so I believed him). After six weeks I refunded his money. That was a real blow for me at the time. Since then I've been a little more careful on how I ship items.

Insure with a third party insurer like Insurepost. You can insure for higher amounts for light/small/tracked packet/etc. That is a better option than trying to put restrictive shipping policies in place for apartments and such.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@majestyk wrote:

I've had the odd item go missing as well but only one of them had tracking on it.   If I were to send something that expensive out, I would use third party insurance.

But my point was that it isn't any riskier to send to an apartment than to any other address.  Has the buyer told you that they didn't get the package?

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for the tip on the insurance. The thing I don't like about apartments is where the package ends up if the recipient isn't home. IE: The potential for someone else saying, "I am so and so" or "I'll take it to so and so". Of course most postal workers leave cards if no one is home, but not always so.

Anyway, I am happy to report that all my buyers have received the goods. So all is well. The one in the apartment even sent me a photo of the package I sent.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply