Are U.S. sellers losing canadian customers because of Ebay Global Shipping Program`s import fees?

I avoid US sellers and buy from China when possible because of this. After the exchange rate, after shipping costs then Ebay charges me an import fee with the Global shipping program. A lot of U.S. sellers don`t even know this but on an item that costs $15.05 US, Ebay charges me 6.59 US for bringing it across the border even though it is sent US Postal Service. If the seller were to send it directly to me via US postal service there is usually no extra charge on anything less than $40.

On a $40 item, Ebay`s Global Shipping charges me about $11.32. Because of this, I am not buying as much from the US and more from China or elsewhere. I feel sure that a lot of Canadian buyers feel the same'

Gerard488

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Are U.S. sellers losing canadian customers because of Ebay Global Shipping Program`s import fees?

Actually, no, they are not. Most likely they are gaining.

Experienced eBay sellers do not usually use GSP.  Newer sellers, who accept the used agreement, are automatically enrolled in GSP. Many US sellers have no desire to sell outside the 48 and GSP actually tricks them into doing it. So, with GSP, more US sellers are selling internationally than without it.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 38
latest reply

On lower priced heavier items the GSP can save big $. At other times it is annoying and costly. Basically I look at what I am getting and the total cost and decide if I am getting a food deal or not.

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

oppops food = good

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

"Are U.S. sellers losing canadian customers because of Ebay Global Shipping Program`s import fees?"

Overall, I do not think so.

Now, with GSP we know that sales by Americans to buyers living outside their country have increased quite substantially.

We also know that many American sellers with prior experience selling directly to Canada have continued to do so without using GSP.

Many sellers who used to ship within the USA only are now using GSP. That was the goal of the program: creating new markets for American sellers.  In many instances, they should not.  GSP was never intended for small (under $50) transactions.

So - yes - many Canadians will walk away from listings offering GSP, mostly for relatively low value items where the program really does not work well with Canadian buyers.

I guess that looking at Canadian purchases overall it is a "wash".

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

Remember , the GSP is a Seller Protection Program.

There is no benefit intended for Buyers, except that more US sellers now make their products available to foreign buyers because they are protected from negative feedback and forced refunds from customer shock about duty and VAT/sales taxes, slow delivery, or the high cost of shipping overseas /to Canada.

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

I don't know how they can gain. I now try to buy from Canadians first (actually always did, but now i really search here first before looking elsewhere)

I got caught paying $27.69 US  shipping on a comic book. $22.09 went to Pitney Bowes. Mind you it was a rather more expensive comic book but their shipping charge goes up on the amount it sold.  The seller was not even aware of this.

But there are still non-GSP sellers out there. So i buy from here first then non-GSP sellers. 

You can buy the exact same item at same selling price from both GSP and non-GSP and see the huge gap in OUR final cost.

So yes absolutely it hurts the GSP seller, as i will buy from the non-GSP seller.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

Hello 'dgour98',

<< I don't know how they can gain.  I now try to buy from Canadians first . . .  i buy from here first then non-GSP sellers. >>

Bravo!  Glad to hear it. Smiley Very Happy  We should all at least try to keep our Canadian dollars in Canada.  

If shoppers set their view selection to List, choose Canada Only from the Item Location, and avoid that pale grey

GSP hazard alert:

Customs Services and International Tracking Provided

It is still possible to find affordable items on ebay that will arrive safely.

Alas, all this useful info does not always display on the many hand-held devices used by too many shoppers.  

And still others forge boldly onward, blissfully unaware of the perils that await them (or await their parcel, as it gets 

carelessly and hastily repackaged at the GSP warehouse).

For me, it is not just a matter of cost and comparing every nickel, but rather I am greatly concerned about having my 

items arrive intact.  I would rather pay more and buy from an American seller directly who is going to package up 

my fragiles herself.  It does not matter that there is an exhaustingly irksome means by which I can pursue a refund 

if GSP items arrive broken.  I buy things because I want those particular items, not because I want to spend time chasing 

down refunds.

But that's me.  

Now whether or not ebay and American sellers have gained, . . .  hmmm.  Certainly Kentucky is processing a huge 

number of parcels daily.  So it would seem the hold-outs like us who refuse to acquiesce are comparatively few.  

Are they selling 'more', or are they selling 'differently'?  Well, your comic book for example.  If you were going to buy it 

no matter what, - if you could easily find a non-GSP seller he would get the sale first.  Failing that, you went with a

GSP seller.  Was it a choice?  Or was it because the GSP item was the only one available?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending that program, not on any level.  Loathsome as it is, however, I have to wonder 

if it will not continue to be sufficiently profitable so that ebay makes it ever-more difficult to avoid.  At the moment ebay 

seems to be toning down the visual cues  alerting buyers that they may be choosing a GSP item.  I am wondering just

how far they will go to disguise it.

<< So yes absolutely it hurts the GSP seller...>>

I'm not so sure.  A lot of the GSP sellers are those who did not want to sell outside the US and had their listings set up 

for US-only.  They still do not have to ship outside the US, as they merely mail the package to Kentucky.  What Kentucky 

does from there does not concern them.

So these sellers will have their items sent around the world whereas before they did not.  But is it an actual 'increase' 

or would their buyers have previously bought from a US seller using USPS Priority International?  . . . hmmm . . .

Whether or not ebay may come to be viewed as a place with laughably outrageous shipping fees on mediocre items 

coupled with infuriatingly poor customer service,  . . .  hmmmm . . . .

These are real issues arising again and again on the boards and it would seem not worth ebay's notice or attention.

Just my .015 cents Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

I usually contact the seller and ask if they have other shipping options. I already have a text explaining why the GSP is not good for me.

if the seller don't want to lose a sale, they will usually propose something else.

When they don't , I simply move on to an other seller.

in 100% of cases, the seller is not aware GSP is hurting them as they have no idea PitneyBows is ripping off their clients in the process.

ULTRA slow shipping with import charges that don't even exist .

I was talking to my accountant, and she tried to contact eBay and PitneyBows to know what those charged were in order to properly apply them in accounting, Are they brokering, taxes?  no one could tell. She called Canada revenue services , and they told her 'if this is a service, there should be GST added or included. If it is included , it must be written that taxes are included".
PitneyBows don't put any details AND they don't put their GST number on any of the transaction made in Canada, and other illegal action.

If you charge something and cant properly define what it is along with tax information, it's a well put together scam!
In any case, she open an official complaint with Revenue Canada services ( like IRS)  
Eventually, someone will have to answer the questions.

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

@volksrich wrote:

ULTRA slow shipping with import charges that don't even exist .

I was talking to my accountant, and she tried to contact eBay and PitneyBows to know what those charged were in order to properly apply them in accounting, Are they brokering, taxes?  no one could tell. She called Canada revenue services , and they told her 'if this is a service, there should be GST added or included. If it is included , it must be written that taxes are included".
PitneyBows don't put any details AND they don't put their GST number on any of the transaction made in Canada, and other illegal action.

If you charge something and cant properly define what it is along with tax information, it's a well put together scam!
In any case, she open an official complaint with Revenue Canada services ( like IRS)  

If the value for duty is above the de minimis threshold they are responsible for the collection of GST/HST as applicable and will have their brokerage fee as well. Their invoice should breakout these charges separately. I've not had occasion to look at their paperwork, but if they are only giving one combined value that is highly irregular and I haven't see any carrier or forwarder do their paperwork like that. Weird.

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

"Their invoice should breakout these charges separately."

The program does not show individual charges.

One must read the terms of use.  The program is intended exclusively for private use - NOT commercial use so no ITCs available.  It is clearly spelled out in the terms of use.

Not trying to excuse the program just explaining it.  The "fees" charged by Pitney Bowes relate to services (consolidation/repacking/customs documentation, etc...) provided in the USA and, as such, from their perspective, are not directly GST/HST taxable in Canada.

In general terms, the Pitney-Bowes "fees" include whatever taxes would be payable in Canada by individuals and a service charge.

We all agree it would be much easier and better if Pitney-Bowes were to provide itemized invoicing but.... it is what it is and I do not expect eBay to change that system anytime soon..

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

This is an old thread, but after years of the GSP the question remains the same.  It would be interesting to have access to some of eBay's data because I've always been curious if US sellers have lost Canadian sales as a result of the GSP.

Since the program is still going full force after all these years, the suggestion is that it's worked very well for eBay.

Also, since the program's inception, US first class shipping costs have increased and that in conjunction with the fact that in my category at least, the GSP more often than not waves import fees now, and so the picture has changed dramatically.

Over the years I've learned how to work with the program to make it less abrasive for me.  In many cases it has even been to my benefit.  

With a few tweaks it could even become a pretty good program.

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

This is an old thread, but after years of the GSP the question remains the same.  It would be interesting to have access to some of eBay's data because I've always been curious if US sellers have lost Canadian sales as a result of the GSP.

With a few tweaks it could even become a pretty good program.

One of the main considerations is how many sales are they losing because buyers refuse to pay sales tax. You would have to drill down into how many US sellers are willing to fudge the declared values on their shipments (when shipping first class via USPS), as is standard practice with sellers from parts of Asia. GSP cleared shipments are more likely to be subject to sales tax as the declared values are accurate, but postal imports still have that potential as well. US sellers who use the GSP program are probably unlikely to be inclined to fudge declared values if GSP wasn't used.

Some of the most vocal opponents I have seen tend to be sellers who are looking to resell purchases made and the extra costs associated with the GSP are problematic. I've often wondered why they are trying to use a retail consumer service for commercial purposes.

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Their invoice should breakout these charges separately."

The program does not show individual charges.

One must read the terms of use.  The program is intended exclusively for private use - NOT commercial use so no ITCs available.  It is clearly spelled out in the terms of use.

Not trying to excuse the program just explaining it.  The "fees" charged by Pitney Bowes relate to services (consolidation/repacking/customs documentation, etc...) provided in the USA and, as such, from their perspective, are not directly GST/HST taxable in Canada.

In general terms, the Pitney-Bowes "fees" include whatever taxes would be payable in Canada by individuals and a service charge.

We all agree it would be much easier and better if Pitney-Bowes were to provide itemized invoicing but.... it is what it is and I do not expect eBay to change that system anytime soon..

Strange way of handling it. If nothing else they are already breaking the numbers out separately on their accounting backend anyways for remittances.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

"Strange way of handling it."

I agree. 

The one benefit I see - from their perspective - is that they do not have to waste time handling small claims from buyers for taxes that may be wrongfully calculated mostly because the seller is not declaring the item and country of origin correctly.

For example, on a US$20 items coming from the USA but made in Italy, there may be duty payable.  A few dollars at most.  Yet how many Canadians would complain to correct the perceived problem?  The way they have it is simple: from the listing the buyer knows the price is so much, shipping is so much and import charges are so much.  Buyer agrees to buy or not knowing exactly what the costs will be.

The alternative of course is the "good old" ways to do things with sellers mailing directly to buyers hoping it goes through Canada Customs without taxes and duty being charged.

The program has worked well for eBay as export sales from US sellers have increased at a rate higher than domestic sales.  The real problem from our perspective - and this has been stated over and over in the last four years - is the fact that Canada should be handled differently.

But.... American sellers find it so easy to use the program.

Message 15 of 38
latest reply

@ierrelebel wrote:

"Strange way of handling it."

I agree. 

The one benefit I see - from their perspective - is that they do not have to waste time handling small claims from buyers for taxes that may be wrongfully calculated mostly because the seller is not declaring the item and country of origin correctly.

The program has worked well for eBay as export sales from US sellers have increased at a rate higher than domestic sales.  The real problem from our perspective - and this has been stated over and over in the last four years - is the fact that Canada should be handled differently.

But.... American sellers find it so easy to use the program.

Good point regarding the incorrect clearances due to country of origin or HS codes being applied incorrectly. Have my fair share of that with to deal with on the importation side and it is pain for both parties to submit refund/adjustment requests. I prefer to self clear because even experienced brokers make mistakes often enough.

Not a perfect program but it works well for smaller sellers that either need some level of reassurance to ship internationally and it simplifies international shipping. Most of those export sales would not be happening without GSP so from eBay's perspective it makes sense. The minimum value required could probably do with being set higher.

Message 16 of 38
latest reply

It would be useful for those complaining about the cost of the GSP to look at the cost of shipping to Canada by USPS.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

Most sellers are going to use the Flat Rate envelope and Box rates, since that is what they are used to.

Envelopes start at $23 USD (about $30 CDN).  Boxes start at $25.

The seller should be using Shape and Size packaging which starts at $15.50 USD ($20.15CDN) for First Class International service (based on CA to ON, 14oz, boxed)

Once in Canada, those FCI shipments (and the Priority International service shipments, of course) may be assessed for duty and sales tax and a $9,95 Canada Post service fee added.  Or not. That's a gamble.

What it comes down to is ; international shipping is expensive.

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Once in Canada, those FCI shipments (and the Priority International service shipments, of course) may be assessed for duty and sales tax and a $9,95 Canada Post service fee added.  Or not. That's a gamble.

What it comes down to is ; international shipping is expensive.

First class international is still not very well understood by many US sellers. Some are still not aware it has delivery confirmation, provided of course, that you use electronic postage services. International shipping is reasonable if you are buying enough to make it worthwhile. The problem is in many categories the average sell is quite low, and hence problematic for things like GSP. One thing another foreign marketplace does for their international shoppers is offer a consolidation service. PB likely doesn't want to get into the warehousing business but that would be a good path for a future evolution of the program. That might become a more topical thing as I forsee international rates continuing to rise over the next few years.

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

@volksrich wrote:

One reason they don't break the costs down for us is because in many cases (for me most cases) things simply do not add up.

As I've stated many times, most of the items I buy no longer have import fees and no matter how I arrange and re-arrange the figures they don't make sense.

I doubt that anyone will ask questions.  After all, the way the PO collects import fees randomly doesn't add up either and no one questions those decisions either.

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

USPS first class international package is US$9.50 for up to 8 oz.  But for items heavier than that, the gsp total cost is often comparable to what it would cost if shipped directly.  

I think that in many cases the  sellers who use the gsp feel that international shipping is too 'risky' and if there was no gsp service they wouldnt sell outside of the US.  Or they feel that it would be a hassle to ship internationally without the gsp and the extra sales aren't worth it.  We know it isn't a big deal to ship outside of our country but then most of us have to because the Canadian market is fairly small.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply