Buyer bought my item for my asking price but is now asking for a price adjustment

I had multiple offers from a buyer (A) and we finally agreed on a price (through messages, not formal offers) but he had run out of offers and asked me to re-list the item so he could send me the final offer. In the meantime I had messaged another prospective buyer (B) who had expressed interest over a month ago in my item but told me he didn't have the funds (wanted to see if he was interested now). A few hours past and the buyer (A) purchased my item for sale at my asking price (not the price we had agreed on), with no accompanying message or anything. I woke up the next morning to see it had sold and that he had paid, so I shipped the item. Today (almost a week later) he messaged me saying "waiting for my price adjustment." Now I'm wondering what to do. I don't really feel like honouring our "unofficial" agreed price because he just up and bought the item for full price and paid and everything. Is there really anything I should be worried about? 

Thanks 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer bought my item for my asking price but is now asking for a price adjustment

You had an item listed at $XX

A customer haggled.

He haggled a lot if his three offers were used up and you had to move to Messages.

He asked you to relist with the (finally!) agreed price.

Before you could do that*, he purchased and paid the listing price.

You shipped.

He recieved.

Now he wants a Partial Refund.

If it's good enough to keep, it's good enough to pay for.

I'd stand firm.

He wanted it enough to pay full asking price.

He reports no problems with the doohickey.

The only problem I foresee is that he might leave you negative feedback, which would poison your selling account since you have so little FB.

But as an occasional seller, no worries.

You can have multiple accounts, although each must have its own email address and credit card verification.

Also I notice you are selling game cards, so ..... well ..... gamergate made many people notice how.... difficult some gamers can be.

I'd be inclined to very politely tell him (deep breath) that the transaction is complete and that he purchased at the list price so any other negotiations are moot.

Just to be clear-- one card or a number of them?

*Your second customer is irrelevant, so let's ignore him.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hi, I like your reasoning. It seems like a fair solution to me. As I am a very occasional seller, I'm not too concerned about my rating. I am concerned about any potential recourse he might have in terms of demanding a full refund or something and me having to comply. Do you foresee anything bad happening other than negative feedback?

Btw the item was a wrist watch and it is currently still in transit and has not been delivered yet.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You could get an SNAD?

How much money are you talking on the price difference.

It is possible he bought at full price so no one else could buy it.

Personally, you did agree on a reduced price did you not?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Imho, if you BOTH agreed on a reduced price, I feel you should follow through with what you agreed to. As Dutchman said, they only paid full price, to prevent some one else from buying it.

By refunding the difference, you may gain a repeat customer, plus with a positive feedback from them, more future sales.

Personally, I would also sleep better at night, knowing I did the right thing.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

By refunding the difference, you may gain a repeat customer, plus with a positive feedback from them, more future sales.

While I agree with doing the right thing, I'm not sure I want a customer who haggles so much on price that the Best Offer system stops, then impulsively pays full price, then when the item has already been shipped, is demanding a rebate.

I'm too old to put up with that.

I'd probably have BBL'd the guy after his third low offer.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I know it's too late now, but when writing to a potential customer, you have the option to send an offer through the message. If I remember correctly, the button is at the top right corner of the message.

As for the actual problem, if you accepted the offer in the message, I would send a partial refund to match the agreed price. That's the right thing to do.

If you did not agree to a price yet... then it's another story.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you shipped it with a tracking number?  If not, good luck!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply