Buyer can't pickup item at post office

sboi6793
Community Member
I'm really not sure what to do here, I sold an item to the buyer who paid for it in full via Paypal.

I sent the item June 11th and it arrived on the 12th without any issues.

I have received a message from the buyer this morning saying that he is unable to pickup the package because he is out of the country.

The post office will only hold the time for 10days and the buyer arrives after that.

What must I do to ensure the package does not return to me and remains at the post office for pickup when the buyer returns.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Buyer can't pickup item at post office

I'm not sure if this would help but the buyer could phone his post office and ask if they would hold the parcel until he returns.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Yes, the buyer can easily arrange the holding of mail by contacting the PO directly or do it on-line at

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/productsservices/receive/holdmail.jsf

it's just $40.oo Smiley Frustrated  might be cheaper to have it returned & reshipped later...

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Does the buyer not have any friends relatives or work colleagues who would go to the Post Office with picture ID and sign for the package? The PO might like to have an email from the buyer to the friend asking him to do this and attaching the eBay invoice.

I'm going to assume that the buyer was unexpectedly called out of the country without being able to make arrangements to have his mail held, because we had an ice cream cake from the Social Committee at work today and am not as grouchy about a lack of planning as usual.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

As somebody who works at a Post Office, I know this happens very often.

You have three solutions:

1. Get somebody who has either the same LAST NAME or ADDRESS as the buyer, to go pick up the item.

2. Get the buyer to write/type a note saying, "I, The Buyer, authorize My Friend to pick up this parcel on my behalf as I am out of the country. Here is my Driver's License and/or Passport Number: xxxxxxxx." Get that note signed, and either faxed or emailed to the friend that is going to pick it up.

3. Call the post office and ask them to hold the item. You can do this yourself, if you want. At this point, a Delivery Notice Card number would help. Go to canadapost.ca and track the item, and the DNC number should appear in the tracking information. If not, call Canada Post at 1-800-267-1177 and give them the tracking number, and ask for the DNC number and address/phone number of the Post Office it's being held at. Then ask the Post Office if they'd hold the item for x amount of time.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else

Message 5 of 5
latest reply