Buyer has 2 different Street names and numbers on order details

I just have a quick question! I made an expensive sale ($300) but the buyer has 2 different street names and addresses under the view order details. One street is located in the North end of his city, and the other in the south end. I have asked the buyer about this and still await a response but this personally puts up a red flag for me.

Is this a new scam that I am unaware of? I just wanted to check with you guys first so I can get as much info as I can!

Thanks for your time in advance!

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer has 2 different Street names and numbers on order details

Me, I would cancel and refund.

Now he has 2 new addresses? This sounds really off...

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Ask the Buyer to confirm via the message his shipping address.

Also, what is the confirmed address for this Buyer on his account do they match.

DO not ship the item, if you want to refund and cancel select "Issue with address" as the problem you will not get any defects.

Wait for a reply from the Buyer, again DO NOT SHIP

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for your response! Yeah definitely not shipping until I hear from him. If I haven't heard from him by my shipping cut off time, I'll cancel.
Paypal confirms the address which makes me weary as there are 2 different street names and the city is spelled incorrectly. Ultimately I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue.
I'll post a response when this is all figured out!
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Put each address separately on Google... and then look on Google maps.... You will get a street view

Also look on Mapquest... Confirm address

You may find that the buyer lives on the corner of the two streets....   and the situation may be that  one address is for where they live  and the second address is for their business....  with two addresses for the same building.

Have used Google maps many times  to confirm a question about an address.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@robchesta 

By using the Reverse Look up with just the postal code at the Canadapost website you should be able to confirm the correct address and if it belongs to the North or South street address. Then you can confirm visually with the google streetview.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/postalcode/fpc.jsf

-Lotz

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Thanks again! He did reply and said both of those addresses were wrong as he recently moved lol. Then proceeded to give me 2 new addresses and said it can be shipped to either one and let me know he prefered one address over the other. Is it just me or does this all seem a bit sketchy?
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Me, I would cancel and refund.

Now he has 2 new addresses? This sounds really off...

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@robchesta 

Not to be forgotten in all of this now if only there was a simple way to correct the ship to address officially inside eBay/Paypal after an item was paid for to stay within the rules. If there is an eBay email with the corrected address is that still acceptable for the seller and buyer still to be covered?

-Lotz

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Thanks everyone! Informed the buyer of the situation and am cancelling the order.  I just let him know the possible issues this can cause for me in all of this. Also let him know that if he changes the address on his account to the one he wants it sent to, there should be no issues after that. 

As far as I know, if he provides one address, and I ship to that address with tracking, I should be covered no matter what as long as the tracking info shows delivered right?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I also contacted Ebay and they recommended I never ship to an address that's not on the order details and rightfully so. Keep an eye open for these kinds of things fellow sellers!
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Whenever I have a buyer ask to have the item shipped to an address not on the order details, I always cancel the order and ask them to correct the address and purchase the item again. I've almost never lost a sale due to this, as long as I notify the buyer quickly. They are usually not trying to scam you, at least in my case, as I have low value items, but it's not worth the risk.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

It's been my practice and my opinion that the only address that is any good is the one on the Paypal payment.

I also only accept Paypal confirmation of payment and go to PP to learn if I have any sales.

Paypal handles the money.

EBay allows transactions to be marked Paid and Shipped manually (which is not a bad thing, because there are still transactions handled in person and in cash).

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for that! After he gave me two new addresses, ( one of which he said he preferred) I politely said I would need to cancel and have him enter a proper shipping address. He then said to ship to the other address he mentioned and said he is good friends with the people who live there and everything would be ok and not to worry lol.
He hasn't accepted the refund and hasn't messaged back. I did offer to re-sell it to him but after all of this, there's no chance. It's all just too dodgy and now whether it is or not, I believe it's a scam. Hopefully this helps others facing the same situation!
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

It was the Address on paypal that had me worried. It showed 2 different streets with 2 different numbers and the city name was spelled wrong. Just underneath all of that Paypal had "Confirmed" that address. How is that even possible? Had I sent the package with both streets, which one would they have sent it to?
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

And the buyer also said both of the addresses on Paypal were wrong.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Definitely one for the Blocked Bidder List.

Gamers gonna game.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply