Canadian Banks and US dollars- Managed Payments.

@ --If you are selling in USD, you do not need to register for managed payments at this time. We’ll reach out to you when it’s time to register.   -- Weekly Chat.

Well, no.

I for one sell in both US dollars (dotCOM)  and in Canadian dollars (dotCA) on two of my IDs and those IDs have both been told to sign up for Managed Payments.

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Canadian Banks and US dollars- Managed Payments Ebay ILLEGAL

I was told to sign up for Managed Payments on two of my selling accounts and reluctantly did so.

But I took down all of my US dollar/dotCOM listings on one of those, and was negotiating with DH about doing the same on this one. 

Today I got Messages on both accounts that because I was selling a substantial percentage of my listings from dotCOM that my signup would be on Hold until further notice.

So now I have a week to relist some 500 -odd items on dotCOM without flooding a given day and making sure that something renews almost every day-- or preferably every hour-- while we still have lots of free listings available.

Message 41 of 58
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry if this has been answered could not find the info.

So I’m from Vancouver, BC and sell on eBay.com to USA in US currency and also ship USPS via chitchats shipping service. (They don’t have USPS as an option on .ca)

How does managed payments work if transferring US currency to a Canadian currency bank account?

On PayPal I just ate the 5% conversion free.

Cheers

Ryan
Message 42 of 58
latest reply

Bump, any update on this issue?

Message 43 of 58
latest reply

Just wondering if if the Paypal problem has had any new updates...it is not just paypal itself, they have the NetParcel option for shipping which is really good value for money and now will lose that.  This is such a mess, and I wonder if that will be the end of eBay for me!

Ted

Message 44 of 58
latest reply

There is a more current thread - click on More Discussions and it will turn up.

Also although he didn't have one this week, tyler@ebay has a Weekly Chat, which opens for questions most Tuesdays and gets some answers on Wednesdays. These deal with specific questions, not general discussions.

Message 45 of 58
latest reply

@antiquescove wrote:

Just wondering if if the Paypal problem has had any new updates...it is not just paypal itself, they have the NetParcel option for shipping which is really good value for money and now will lose that.  This is such a mess, and I wonder if that will be the end of eBay for me!

Ted

Sorry, I'm not which Paypal 'problem' you are referring to. Are you asking about Paypal or Managed Payments?

Message 46 of 58
latest reply

Hi  how do we cancel ta Payments (  Payout settings ) and how do we go back with US paypal  i need that my Sales is deposit US currency for my buying inventory  help me Please !

Message 47 of 58
latest reply

@antiquescove wrote:

...it is not just paypal itself, they have the NetParcel option for shipping which is really good value for money and now will lose that. ...

You could either use paypal/shipnow (for sales not made through paypal) or deal with NetParcel directly (I believe they can import order info from ebay once you are setup.)

-..-

Message 48 of 58
latest reply

At this time, if you have opted in to Managed Payments, you cannot opt out and MP only allows one bank account, which must be in Canada (like your account) and must be a chequing account.

Do NOT make that a Canadian chequing account in US dollars. The cost of currency exchange will double.

It looks as if you are only listing on dotCA in Canadian dollars. Any payments your US customers make will, I believe, be changed to loonies at the buyer's expense before being deposited into your Canadian MP account and later into your Canadian bank account.

If you were listing on dotCOM in US dollars (which most of my listings are) payments in US dollars would be deposited to your Canadian MP account in loonies and you would pay the currency exchange.

You could start a new account.

You can then , for several more months at least, use a PP account and keep your USD payments in USD, using them to buy.

It would have the side benefit of leaving your current poisoned account (93.6% and seven similar negs) behind and giving you a fresh start.  Do some buying on the new account to give yourself some feedback.

You will have restrictions on the number and value of your listings at first, and as a new seller, will have a Hold on your customer payments.

Message 49 of 58
latest reply

It is ILLEGAL not having option OUT and go back to paypal

Message 50 of 58
latest reply

How do you figure that it is illegal? eBay owns the site so they are entitled to choose how the money gets processed and eventually all sellers will be using it. It definitely does not work well for some sellers but that doesn't mean that it is illegal.

I don't know if it was mentioned earlier but they have said that they are looking into to a better way to  accommodate Canadians that list on .com.

Message 51 of 58
latest reply

I do need that us money to buy futur stock in us currency
Message 52 of 58
latest reply

For the time being, you’re going to have to buy your stock in converted Canadian currency.

Perhaps you can use a credit card with an incentive program such as Air Miles to fund your PayPal payments for stock. That might take some of the sting away.

The good(?) news for you is that the Canadian dollar was the best performing major currency of 2020 and many observers believe its value relative to the US dollar will remain fairly stable for 2021, barring any additional seismic world events.

I consider Managed Payments to be a work in progress and expect Adyen to offer some sort of US dollar option for Canadian sellers in the future. It’s just a matter of when.
Message 53 of 58
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

At this time, if you have opted in to Managed Payments, you cannot opt out and MP only allows one bank account, which must be in Canada (like your account) and must be a chequing account.

Do NOT make that a Canadian chequing account in US dollars. The cost of currency exchange will double.

It looks as if you are only listing on dotCA in Canadian dollars. Any payments your US customers make will, I believe, be changed to loonies at the buyer's expense before being deposited into your Canadian MP account and later into your Canadian bank account.

If you were listing on dotCOM in US dollars (which most of my listings are) payments in US dollars would be deposited to your Canadian MP account in loonies and you would pay the currency exchange.

You could start a new account.

You can then , for several more months at least, use a PP account and keep your USD payments in USD, using them to buy.

It would have the side benefit of leaving your current poisoned account (93.6% and seven similar negs) behind and giving you a fresh start.  Do some buying on the new account to give yourself some feedback.

You will have restrictions on the number and value of your listings at first, and as a new seller, will have a Hold on your customer payments.

I know information about US funds/Holding multiple currencies and Managed Payments was asked numerous times in 2018 and after. See attached for 1 example...  @reallynicestamps  post 60 March 2018 of many.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Archive-1/Discussion-eBay-Payment-Mediation/td-p/392959/page/3

Has it been answered or properly addressed almost 3 years later? Doesn't seem so. Maybe it's really not on anyone at eBay's priority list!?!

-Lotz

Message 54 of 58
latest reply

Hi everyone,

I have couple questions. 

I sell on .com and in us dollars and I show the item location with US address.

With MP would I be able to show the same US location of an item? And will my home address be hided from a buyer as it is now?

Regarding bank account. For my paypal account I use a cross border bank account in us dollars.

Now, can I use the cross border account for MP to proceed and get the payments in usd?

From my understanding you have to use a bank account that it is in the name you have provided when registered on eBay. I opened an account a long time ago on my name, but the account name for buyers is completely different, like everyone do. Is this now an issue with MP or I still can keep it as it is now?

Thank you. Appreciate very much your help.

Message 55 of 58
latest reply

So if I understood well, there is no way anymore to keep USD currency for USD purchase.

I still do not know how I will deal with partial refund and shipping cost refund (combine shipping discount on differents items)

Now are you saying that by choosing my currency to be CAD, I will loose my listing on .COM ?

I have 1000 on each .com and .CA, my amount of free listing is 1000. Does it mean I have to drop 1000 listing alltogether ? Why Ebay want to do less money?

Keven Noel

Message 56 of 58
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2020

the problem with zombie threads is that many of the posts are out of date or give incorrect information.

So if I understood well, there is no way anymore to keep USD currency for USD purchase.

That's right.

how I will deal with partial refund and shipping cost refund

No Changes

Now are you saying that by choosing my currency to be CAD, I will loose my listing on .COM ?

Lose, not loose.

And NO.

You will still be selling in USD. Your buyer will be paying in USD.

You will be paid in loonies (or in USD to your Canadian bank account held in USD).

Message 57 of 58
latest reply

Hi everyone - 

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from further replies. If this is still a topic that warrants further dicussion please feel free to start a new thread. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 58 of 58
latest reply