Ebay-Generated Invoice Gave Buyer a Lower Cost for Postage than is Stated on the Listing

Is this a new things? Buyer made an offer which I accepted but then when she paid the postage cost was almost $6 CAD too low. Checked the invoice generated by ebay, sure enough, the postage cost displayed is $12.65. Checked the listing and for the buyer who is in a remote, northern located, the postage cost states $18.19? Is this a new glitch? Or some oddity around Best Offer and a buyer maybe switching addresses between offers and postage? I cannot recall this happening on a domestic Expedited Label before. 

Exhibit A: Shipping cost for the specified postal code as displayed on the actual item.

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 11.33.05 AM.png

Exhibit B: The invoice created by ebay which the buyer then paid.

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 11.36.24 AM.png

The only time I've ever seen funny business like this is when the buyer tried to swap locations between Offer and Payment. Would that scenario cover this? I didn't screenshot the postal code to which the buyer made an offer, and that info vanishes after the offer is accepted or declined. 

As a result, I've lost money on this transaction. Those $6 were the amount equal to my profits so I think I'm going to call and complain about this. I don't cancel orders when ebay makes a mistake, I fulfil them and then expect ebay to make it right. Otherwise, it's the buyer who gets the short end of the stick. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Ebay-Generated Invoice Gave Buyer a Lower Cost for Postage than is Stated on the Listing

Just to be clear the generated invoice which the buyer paid does use the postal code V0G 2J0 ?

Which you plugged into the listing to see what should have been charged.

What happens if run through the Canada Post calculator?

-..-

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The ebay-generated invoice shows no address whatsoever for the buyer. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 12.55.55 PM.png

This is the paypal invoice that the buyer paid:

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 12.54.36 PM.png

This is the actual cost of Expedited Parcel from a Tier 1 Solutions for Small Business member. The $18.19 on the listing is what I've already subsidized. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 12.57.46 PM.png

Like I mentioned previously, I didn't screenshot what postal code the offer was made from, and the Emails from ebay that tell the seller that they have an offer don't include that data anymore, plus it magically disappears from the information on the Best Offer deal sheet once the seller or buyer accepts or declines. So there's no way for me to check what postal code or address the buyer used when making an offer to see if that's what might have caused the discrepancy. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Actually, after Nov. 12, my seller address stopped appearing on the bottom of the invoice too.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.08.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 1.08.50 PM.png

Now that I have stopped to check the invoices I sent after Nov 13, none of them have an address to the seller like they used to have. This feature was useful for me after a Local Pickup purchase because the buyer then had my address, as they required for a Local Pickup and Cash Payment by Appointment, without me having to do anything sketchy like send it in an ebay Message which would hold us both liable for trying to communicate off-ebay which I never do and have never done.

But it's good to know now that this critical information is missing so I can find a workaround before the next Local Pickup. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply