Overcharged shipping due to eBay's automatic invoicing?

Hi everyone,

I posted over in Buyer Central with regards to the topic to see if I could get any feedback from other buyers like myself but I would like to get insight from a seller's point of view as well.  Plus, I'm assuming sellers would actually be more familiar on the subject than buyers in general since they deal with combined shipping invoices and eBay's system itself more so than buyers.

My concern is with regards to how eBay generates the combined shipping invoice for 40+ items and if this discrepancy will cause me to pay more for shipping.  If this is indeed the case, is there any way to be refunded the difference and how should I go about doing so?

Basically...after winning several auctions I would wait for a combined invoice before checking out as per the seller's listing.  More recently however, I had over 40 items and from what I've been told by a couple others, eBay messes up the invoicing and I would end up with more invoices than I normally would.  This leads to more transactions having to be done and shipping charges would be applied to each transaction.

Hopefully that is enough information for the sellers out there but if it isn't, please do not hesitate to ask for whatever information is needed and I will do my best to fill in the blanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

You can only do 40 items on one invoice.

If it is over 40, an additional invoice will have to be done in lots of 40.

Depending on how the seller does combined shipping, it should be reflected on each additional invoice.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Okay, so the 40+ invoicing rule I was made aware of recently and with purchases normally, I would ask the seller to give me an updated invoice before checking out. If I requested for an updated invoice before checking out but the seller failed to follow-up would it not be possible for them to at least issue me a partial refund should there have indeed been a difference in the shipping charges? The reason I ask this is because when I asked the seller about this after making the payment they replied saying since I already paid they can't do anything about it.

But let's forget the specifics for the time being. In theory, let's say I have 50 items and am sent an (I'm assuming automatic) invoice but because only 40 items can be invoiced together I end up with five total invoices. Is eBay's system not capable of generating two invoices (one for 40 items and one for 10 items) by itself that I need to request it from the seller myself? In the event that I proceed with making multiple transactions for each of these invoices, being charged shipping every time, did eBay's system at least take into account the possibility of combined shipping or am I paying full price for shipping on each transaction so to speak?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

As I said and asked, did you and the seller agree on what the total shipping charges would be? Did you just assume what they would be?

Did you ask the seller for proper invoices with correct shipping or no shipping on each?

Did you just go ahead and pay for the items in advance of any invoices sent from the seller and then assume you would get refunds.

This was/is all be between you and the seller, Ebay is not involved at all.

If you thought you were being overcharged, why did you pay the invoices? You could have got updated invoices from the seller.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I don’t know for sure but I am guessing that you would have to buy the 40 first and then add the other 10 items to the cart.  I doubt that ebay is able to do 2 separate invoices. 

If you have x number of items in the cart and the seller has not set up combined shipping to automatically show up on the invoice then you would have to click item on the request total from seller button.  It can be difficult for a seller to set that up which is why not all sellers do that.  If you go ahead and pay without getting an item invoice the seller will still have to pay eBay fees on the amount you originally paid even if they refund you part of the shipping cost later on so some sellers will not refund after payment. I don’t think that is necessarily a good business practice to refuse to refund in that situation but many sellers do specify In their listings that you must wait for an invoice.  Also never assume that a seller will offer a combined shipping cost unless it was mentioned in the listing.

If instead of using the cart you use the buy it now button, pay for the item right away and then do the same thing with other items from the same seller they may be even more reluctant to refund part of the shipping because as well as the eBay fees they would also pay .30 to PayPal every time you made a payment.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

did you and the seller agree on what the total shipping charges would be?

When I make multiple purchases from the same seller and request a total with combined shipping...usually I don't have a set amount in mind, and just rely on the seller to provide a reasonable amount for combined shipping.  But of course, I'd expect it to be less than the original shipping amount per item added together (not yet combined).

So, there was no particular amount agreed between the buyer and seller.

Did you ask the seller for proper invoices with correct shipping or no shipping on each?

Let's say, I didn't know about the 40 item limit per invoice...and this is my first time purchasing more than 40 items in one go.  I have always received one invoice, listing all my items and then the (combined) shipping charge and then, my grand total (this is for previous purchases where it has never reached the "40 limit").  So I was expecting it to be more or so the same... A (items' total) + B (combined shipping) = C (grand total)...on ONE invoice.  Keep in mind I didn't know about the limit.

Did you just go ahead and pay for the items in advance of any invoices sent from the seller and then assume you would get refunds.

Let's say, I went ahead and paid for the items (not in advance) but because the seller acknowledged my request for combined shipping and said he has sent me an updated invoice.  I am not and actually don't expect any refunds.  Like I mentioned...I was expecting ONE invoice listing all my items' total + combined shipping...and then the grand total.

Remember, up until now I still had no idea about the 40 limit...so when it was time to checkout and pay my 40+ items purchase...I just went ahead and paid.  

It was after the fact - I thought it was weird how I've actually paid multiples invoices...each listing "some" of my items and a separate shipping charge...and because I had a tight time frame for payment, I couldn't risk getting a non-payment claim or something...it just didn't occur to me, at that time, to ask the seller "what's up with that".

If you thought you were being overcharged, why did you pay the invoices? You could have got updated invoices from the seller. 

I paid because I was told by the seller that he has updated my invoice.  At that time, I thought nothing of it.  It was after the fact that I have already paid that something didn't seem right.  I wasn't expecting multiple invoices but based on the seller telling me he has sent me one, I went ahead and paid.  I didn't know eBay couldn't handle more than 40 items at one go. 

Given that I can go back to each and every listing and see what the original shipping charges were, and then compare them to what I was actually charged through PayPal, I can determine whether or not I was charged full price for shipping or I was given combined shipping...(I didn't bother yet though) 

What I'd like to know is...let's say in the end...I WAS NOT given combined shipping (hence "overcharged"). 

Who's fault would it be?  Seller?  eBay?

If it's the seller, then I can just assume he either didn't do it properly...and didn't bother rectifying the problem and just told me off by saying because I've already paid, he can't do anything about it.

BUT because eBay has a limit of 40 per invoice...how do I know it wasn't eBay who messed up my (40+ items) purchase by grouping them "randomly" and then possibly charging me "randomly" for shipping based on whatever the original fees were according to each listing (regardless of whether the seller has done his part properly - sent me a proper updated invoice)?

I know what's done has been done.  But how can I determine who's problem it was so in the future, I can avoid this seller (if it was his problem) or be more careful with my future (40+ item purchases) with eBay if it was eBay's?

I'm going to assume the original poster has a similar problem lol...

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I must have dealt with some really good, honest sellers...lol...they actually refund part of the shipping upon updating my shipping status to shipped...of course...not often it happened, but enough to know they are out there...

Most of the time, I would "commit to buy" (or buy it now...hence committed) and then wait for an invoice (combined shipping is offered for sure).  I usually have no problems waiting a day or two for an updated invoice.  It just gets annoying how I keep getting notifications from eBay telling me to PAY NOW when I didn't receive my updated invoice yet haha

I don’t know for sure but I am guessing that you would have to buy the 40 first and then add the other 10 items to the cart.  I doubt that ebay is able to do 2 separate invoices.

But yea, good idea to just split my purchase myself from now on if I've decided to purchase more than 40 items in one go again...lol

No need to doubt...I can confirm yes...eBay can't do it...lol

Message 7 of 7
latest reply