Ebay sales and Canada Revenue Agency

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any new news on the amount of sales income generated by sellers that Ebay is required by law to submit to the CRA? I can't find any updated info and the info I do find is unclear. What is the drill here in plain speak?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"I am asking at what point is Ebay required by law to submit your info to CRA"

When the first case went to court - fiscal 2004 - the decision eventually was made by the Court on the basis of being a "PowerSeller", the original request by CRA.

However, it seems things have changed since then and I understand eBay is now cooperating with CRA instead of fighting them.  In addition to the annual report, eBay will respond with the information whenever CRA asks for a specific seller.

CRA often gets information from sources outside eBay leading to a request for information.  It could be something as simple as a buyer claiming a deduction for an eBay purchase, etc...

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

All net profit, starting from the first dollar, must be reported as business income on your annual tax return.  That has not changed.

As far as GST/HST is concerned, sellers with annual worldwide revenue of $30,000 or more (includes shipping charges) must register and remit GST/HST.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Yes, I realise that. I am asking at what point is Ebay required by law to submit your info to CRA. I am not interested in what I ought to do, respectfully.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

double post

can't delete

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

They claimed this already happened about four years ago.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 20
latest reply

But who are they going after specifically? I imagine power sellers are being scrutinized, but there must be a dollar amount that CRA is targeting. I realise EVERYONE is supposed to declare every dollar they make, but I am interested in what people are the CRA getting info on.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

They are not "going after" anyone.

Here is something no-one in Canada comprehends. EVERYONE is audited every year through a CRA computer program. I worked for them, many years ago, when they were Revenue Canada.

I do not remember specifically, heck, hardly even generally, but eBay/Paypal was supposed to be handing over records of anyone that grossed in excess of $20K per year. This is from 4-5 years ago.

Gross has nothing to do with net. My net is small as I have a lot of legitimate expenses. I even has a phone conversation with a person in authority and we discussed expenses being within certain parameters.

Rule #1: Do not report continual losses. This is called the Amway Scam. You must have a reasonable expectation of a profit.
Rule #2. Simply report your gross and net with an income statement.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Reporting to CRA  ... Canada Revenue Agency ......$20,000 in eBay sales... reported by eBay

compared to the US.. IRA... reporting by Paypal.... $20,000 and that includes the cost of shipping.

That $30,000 in total sales worldwide  with respect to GST/HST registration... includes the cost of shipping.  The buyer pays the seller  and then the seller decides who will delivery the purchase to the buyer.

The tax man  has his eyes on us.....  from the very first sale

If you buy to sell   it has to be reported....

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Reporting to CRA from the very first dollar earned.

CRA would get very suspicious if suddenly a seller has $20,000 in sales in a year.  and then they will look back.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I "think" returns are locked after four years, or, the last three plus the one we are in, are still live.
Photobucket
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

"I am asking at what point is Ebay required by law to submit your info to CRA"

When the first case went to court - fiscal 2004 - the decision eventually was made by the Court on the basis of being a "PowerSeller", the original request by CRA.

However, it seems things have changed since then and I understand eBay is now cooperating with CRA instead of fighting them.  In addition to the annual report, eBay will respond with the information whenever CRA asks for a specific seller.

CRA often gets information from sources outside eBay leading to a request for information.  It could be something as simple as a buyer claiming a deduction for an eBay purchase, etc...

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

US... IRA  should be US ... IRS

Internal Revenue Service....... not.  ...  Irish Republican Army!!!

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Those that do not report to the CRA....

remain ignorant... until CRA says... Hello... time for an audit....

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

When I had my last audit from CRA, the auditor had all the sale information provided to CRA by Ebay on his laptop, and he verified that i had reported each sale.

Partway through the audit the CRA gentlemen made the observation that Ebay sellers had a lot of expenses that CRA might not have been fully aware of, e.g listing fees, Paypal fees, shipping fees, etc,.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

the goooo

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

yup including the exchange rate... we get slammed buy exchange points well never get back, paypal USD TO CAD IS LIKE A 12" HAMMER.... MY BANK IS LIKE A 9" ....SO IN TOTAL THATS 21" X 12MO. = THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. If CRA wants my tax... then the should pay 1/2 my refunds

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

ohh by the way, you never had no audit before... cause you would still be walkin funny, and you would never admit it.... if they came for you which the will you will never forget it. anyways I love and respect your opinion...keep on keepin on!

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

oh yah.. good thing you said that... when the auditor comes to me with his laptop im going to wire 32 of them in parallel then hire heisenburg to roll up in a cube van to increase my credit score. Im a tax payer... and this is all in good fun... cheers my friends

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

ill be payin like everyone else... cant beat the house... some even think they developed a fool proof system to take the whale to the cleaners. in the end the only person that cleans is...

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

"...you never had no audit before.."

Posters like "fatdane" and myself and so many other eBay sellers have in fact been audited by CRA, usually for several years..

My audit lasted over six months.  It covered two years for both income tax and GST/HST.

The auditor had access to everything: my eBay and PayPal accounts, my bank statements, my credit card statements, invoices from suppliers of goods and services (including property tax, insurance, utilities), invoices to customers, my checkbook register, etc.... My office was measured so that my claim for home office use was not overstated.

It was no fun at all, even though I had nothing to pay as the auditor eventually conceded - in writing - all my taxes had been properly calculated and remitted.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply