Ebay took a huge hit in the last quarter - profits down 94%

13 REPLIES 13

only because they took a 400 million income tax provision, otherwise it was a near miss.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

TeeHee!  I don't believe it is true, 94%  Ho Ho Ho!!  More likely 9.4%!!

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

"Net income fell to $27 million,  in the second quarter ended June 30, from $435 million, a year earlier."

Believe it or not, that works out to nearly 94%

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

TeeHee!  I don't believe it is true, 94%  Ho Ho Ho!!  More likely 9.4%!!

20 whacks with a wet noodle and back to math class

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

This "income tax provision" is the most interesting part of this (very cursory) report.  

It seems to me that if a company has a $400 tax liability that siphons off almost all of its profit in one quarter alone, that must have been pretty urgent and unavoidable.  To have shares (according to this report) fall from $0.38 to $0.02 is quite a precipitous drop, and not something most corporations want to have to report.  

What exactly was it that ate up most of its profits and could not be spread out over a longer time?  Why would eBay be in this position -- deferred taxes perhaps?  I seem to recall that as of 3 or 4 years ago they had something like $3.4 billion tied up in offshore profits. Perhaps they were forced to repatriate some of that cash to keep afloat, and were forced to pay tax on it.  Worth some investigating in a few months' time when the reports are available. 

No wonder they've been raising subscription fees. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

"To have shares (according to this report) fall from $0.38 to $0.02 is quite a precipitous drop,"

It is NOT the shares that dropped from .38 to .02, it is the net after-tax profit per share for the quarter.

eBay shares trade above US$36 - near their all time high.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ebay?p=ebay

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

" Worth some investigating in a few months' time when the reports are available. "

The financial report is available from the eBay.com website:

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-inc-reports-second-quarter-2017-results/ 

They are generally posted, every quarter, within minutes of release after the close of the market.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Well, I've found it, and it's listed as an usually large tax liability ($433 million to be exact) in eBay's quarterly report for the period ending June 30, 2017.  The cause appears to be overseas (i.e. non-U.S.) restructuring that triggered a change in the amount eBay had provided for income tax benefits in its Consolidated Statement of Income.  

Here is the gobbledygook-y explanation (slightly abridged by me).  Translation: their legal re-organization cost them increased taxation in some countries where eBay operates, where they had previously expected to enjoy a benefit (hence the negative entry for the $433 million in the income statement).  However, it appears eBay anticipates this to level out into future benefits.  I imagine the Canadian legal re-structuring must have also played a part, albeit small in comparison to Switzerland: 

"During the fourth quarter of 2016, we began the process of realigning our legal structure, subsequent to the distribution of PayPal Holdings, Inc., to better reflect how we manage and operate our platforms. We consider many factors in effecting this realignment, including foreign exchange exposures, long-term cash flows and cash needs of our platforms, capital allocation considerations and the associated tax effects. [...] during the first half of 2017, we recognized a noncash income tax charge of $376 million caused by the foreign exchange remeasurement of the deferred tax asset related to the ongoing realignment of our legal structure.

As a result of the realignment, we no longer benefit from tax rulings previously concluded in several different jurisdictions. Without the benefit of the rulings, the noncash tax impacts of the realignment in our foreign eBay and Classifieds platforms have increased our income tax rate in certain foreign jurisdictions, most significantly Switzerland. Accordingly, our effective tax was 94% and (4)% rate for the three and six months ended June 30, 2017 as compared to 16% and 18% respectively for the same periods in 2016. While we experienced a higher tax rate, the realignment allows us to achieve certain cash tax benefits due to the step-up in tax basis achieved in certain foreign jurisdictions. These cash tax benefits will remain consistent, subject to the performance of our foreign platforms. The realignment is expected to extend into 2018 and primarily impact our international entities."

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

" Worth some investigating in a few months' time when the reports are available. "

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-inc-reports-second-quarter-2017-results/ 

They are generally posted, every quarter, within minutes of release after the close of the market.

When I referred to "several months" I was actually thinking of the S.E.C. Annual Report, which is extremely detailed. See my post above -- I was looking at the U.S. S.E.C. quarterly submission for the period ending June 30th.  

These reports make for illuminating reading, even if they are easier to slog through for those with a legal or accounting background. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

For some reason I'm getting a "Page Not Found/Page Removed" in trying to access your link.  Are you able to get through at the moment? 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Here is something else (potentially worrisome "divorce" terms) I came across, from the same report (yeah, I'm still a bit of a legal geek, too many years in the profession, I actually do read through these reports). 

"Indemnification Provisions

We entered into a separation and distribution agreement and various other agreements with PayPal to govern the separation and relationship of the two companies going forward. These agreements provide for specific indemnity and liability obligations and could lead to disputes between us and PayPal, which may be significant.  In addition, the indemnity rights we have against PayPal under the agreements may not be sufficient to protect us and our indemnity obligations to PayPal may be significant."

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

"Are you able to get through at the moment? "

Yes.

From any page on eBay.com - at the bottom of the page, click on "about eBay'

You get https://www.ebayinc.com/

There you have a link to the recent financial results:

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Well, this time your link to the financial statements worked.  The previous one took me to an eBay-logo'ed astronaut floating in space, with a message saying the page couldn't be found and other eBay links below.  Odd.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply