Filing a Claim for Lost Packages

I have had two tracked parcels go MIA with Canada Post. They were from the Xmas backlog. They both have no tracking updates after acceptance.

One was an eBay sale to the US - the other was a gift. I used my business discount at the counter. I can use the invoice from eBay to show value for one, but what do I do for the gift? Is a store receipt fine?

Also, is it a problem that i used my business discount for a gift and not a sale?

I've never initiated a claim with Canada Post before, so hoping to get all my ducks in a row before I get started. Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

As long as you have your tracking number, account number with Can Post...Address to and from and approximate value for the gift, you should be good to go when you call. Choose business phone number at the website for slightly faster service. Also helps to have an email address of the receiver.

-Lotz

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Also, If something was valued at $200 but you only insured for $100 (The basic amount) CP will only reimburse the minimum amount. I know for sales you likely would insure for the whole amount but I know for gifts we often don't.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks guys! Do we need to scan and email receipts? Or do they just take your word in contents and value?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The tracking information would be fine. I've never been asked for receipts for low-value shipment claims in the past. If it was was over the 100.00 limit and you paid for extra insurance they could ask for verification of the contents. They could also choose to ask you to hold on while they do a little searching to find your missing packages. Damage claims when things are in order are usually processed very quickly. Missing they want to find.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

you can only claim what you put in for insurance on the items, a missing package, with the tracking number, it will give them the value it was insured for. they usually don't require receipts.  you can do it online or there is a phone number for you to call to open a service ticket.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

They do not take your word. Use the web-based version of filing a ticket. You should only call for complicated stuff. https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=item_not_delivered&cattype=kb&cat=receiving...

Also, getting your money back for a Lost package is not expedient. Canada Post waits as long as it can to see if it surfaces somewhere along the way. 

Did you initiate a trace when they were late? That's here: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=request_a_refund_for&cattype=kb&cat=receivi...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply