Help me find something in Seller Hub

Hi All: I am looking for a way to see my Monthly Sales information in Seller Hub.

I used to go back to the old Ebay Selling Page and there was always a nice summary at the top of the page that showed my total sales for the month, number of items listed, and my selling limits. I can't give you a screen snip because I can't get back there now 😞

Anyway I have found the Sales information in the Overview page of the Seller Hub, BUT it lumps the shipping cost in with the total sales. I'm not the Post Office, so I do not consider shipping as part of may sale.

There must be a way that I can see my total monthly sales. I'm sure there must be but I cannot find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this.

Also, I'm at a loss to figure out why anyone would want to see shipping cost considered a part of their Sales, but I'm thinking there must be a reason for eBay to set it up this way. What am I missing. Is there some kind of calculation or accounting process that considers Shipping as part of Sales.

I know for eBay shipping is part of the sale, but they are the boss. They can do that. For me I don't get the shipping money, so it is NOT part of the sale. Help me please,  I'm confused

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I'm afraid the only thing that I can think to do is recommend you Download your CSV file (or maybe it is a CSV file, I forget and I'm too lazy to check) of sales by month under the File Management Section (or File Exchange I think the link says now) on the ebay Seller Hub page. It won't give you a lovely real-life time display but it will give you real data in the form of a spreadsheet which you may then manipulate however you desire. My own data is downloaded monthly as Paid and Shipped but there are other filters from which you may choose to suit your needs.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

"Also, I'm at a loss to figure out why anyone would want to see shipping cost considered a part of their Sales, but I'm thinking there must be a reason for eBay to set it up this way."

Er, the skeptic in me would say it's so that it appears your sales performance as a seller is much higher and more robust than it really is but ebay would say and to some degree rightly that if you include postage and offer Free Shipping in your item price, you'd need to consider that Total Payment as your sales mark anyway.

And, to be honest, even thought Free Shipping is a shell game, it sells one-item orders like crazy. Of course, my multi-item orders have nosedived. This cannot be helped until ebay FINALLY GRANTS US PROMOTIONS MANAGER which would allow me to BOGO and other offers to compensate for not having to build-on $15 CAD to every item cost with free shipping. Hello, ebay are you listening? I might have to dump free shipping unless we get proper promotions available in promotions manager and, no, markdown manager does NOT count. That was always standalone for us as Markdown Manager so stuff that weak excuse!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

"I'm at a loss to figure out why anyone would want to see shipping cost considered a part of their Sales, but I'm thinking there must be a reason for eBay to set it up this way. What am I missing. Is there some kind of calculation or accounting process that considers Shipping as part of Sales."

I do not know why eBay changed the method of presentation nor do I wish to defend the change.

However, to answer your question directly, when filing your Canadian tax return, your total revenues include all "shipping and handling" charges.

You then deduct your direct costs (including shipping) to arrive to your net profit which you report on line 135 of your tax return.

Some sellers do make a profit on "shipping and handling" to value their time after covering their direct costs (packaging and postage).

The same is true for calculating your GST/HST if you are GST/HST registered.

Good Luck

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

For now seems the only way is  temporarily use the Opt Out button in Sellers Hub you can see your totals for sales in Selling Manager. It displays 3 columns. Quantity Items Sold, Sale Price and Total Price. Not a perfect system but the only view I can find in my screen of Where's Waldo? Then when you are done, just have to Opt back into Sellers Hub.

-CM

Quote:

“You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need.”

Mick Jagger

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Deadline for filing taxes for the self-employed is June 15. 

Anyone who didn't already know what you mentioned about CRA considering 'sales' to be 'item+postage revenue incoming' still has a week to get that data displayed correctly prior to filing. Thank you for clarifying that for those who might not be aware of it.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

"Deadline for filing taxes for the self-employed is June 15. "

That is correct BUT the tax is payable on or before April 30th!
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"I'm at a loss to figure out why anyone would want to see shipping cost considered a part of their Sales, but I'm thinking there must be a reason for eBay to set it up this way. What am I missing. Is there some kind of calculation or accounting process that considers Shipping as part of Sales."

I do not know why eBay changed the method of presentation nor do I wish to defend the change.

However, to answer your question directly, when filing your Canadian tax return, your total revenues include all "shipping and handling" charges.

You then deduct your direct costs (including shipping) to arrive to your net profit which you report on line 135 of your tax return.

Some sellers do make a profit on "shipping and handling" to value their time after covering their direct costs (packaging and postage).

The same is true for calculating your GST/HST if you are GST/HST registered.

Good Luck

I figured it was something like that, however in order to use the information as they have it presented I would have to go through each transaction line by line and subtract the item cost from the sale price that they show. That would be ridiculous. I have all my shipping costs and receipts, and can easily add them on to the total sale of the item Or items.

What I liked about the old way was that I could see at a glance how I was doing for the month. Now looking at my sales, I have no idea, because shipping costs for my items are all over the place anywhere from 1.20 to 25.00

I like what they have done by showing the fees for each sale, but I do wish they would have separate columns for shipping and item cost, then if need be and if it ends up being helpful for some have another column with total cost.

A work in process I hope? There are some things I like, but I will miss the at a glance live monthly totals. I only worry about taxes once a year, and this new system does not seem to make that process any easier either, so I really don't get it.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

For now seems the only way is  temporarily use the Opt Out button in Sellers Hub you can see your totals for sales in Selling Manager. It displays 3 columns. Quantity Items Sold, Sale Price and Total Price. Not a perfect system but the only view I can find in my screen of Where's Waldo? Then when you are done, just have to Opt back into Sellers Hub.

-CM

Quote:

“You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need.”

Mick Jagger

I think it would be easier for me to make a quick spreadsheet and make the entries myself. I'm not exactly overwhelmed with sales. Faster to do that than all the clicking around from one thing to the other. Besides that from what I understand, it won't be long and Opting out will not be an option.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@momcqueen wrote:

"Also, I'm at a loss to figure out why anyone would want to see shipping cost considered a part of their Sales, but I'm thinking there must be a reason for eBay to set it up this way."

Er, the skeptic in me would say it's so that it appears your sales performance as a seller is much higher and more robust than it really is but ebay would say and to some degree rightly that if you include postage and offer Free Shipping in your item price, you'd need to consider that Total Payment as your sales mark anyway.

OK, there is NO SUCH THING AS FREE SHIPPING. I know it, you know it, and I'm sure customers know it.

When pigs fly and shipping is free then that will be my sales mark as that will be the exact amount of money that ends up in my hands from a sale (minus fees of course, but fees are consistent, I know what they are and can deduct in my head without having to go line by line and look up each item) . Until then, I'd really like to see my Total Sales. Not Sales Plus Shipping which means nothing to me, when it comes to knowing how much money I have available.

A quick spreadsheet will solve the problem <sigh>

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thanks everyone for the replies and help

I was sure it had to be there and I must be missing it.

Sounds like the rest of you do not reference it as much as I used to. I'm sure I'll get over it. Lord knows there has been a lot to get over or get used to the last year or so.

I still miss Turbo Lister, don't think I'll ever get over that change. This is pretty minor in comparison.

Thank again

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

“.... What I liked about the old way was that I could see at a glance how I was doing for the month. Now looking at my sales, I have no idea, because shipping costs for my items are all over the place anywhere from 1.20 to 25.00....”

Since Seller Hub seems to be all about th me data, it would be nice if both item price AND item price+shipping = total cost were shown. Then the seller could simply make their determinations based on the information they want to see.

I liked it the way it was, too. I ship internationally via Tracked Packet so having $35 in postage added to a $35-Item makes the Sales figures misleading.
Message 12 of 12
latest reply