How do you offer local pickup as an option

I have a buyer who is interested in an item of mine and it is possible that he could pick up & avoid costly shipping costs. I wanted to revise my item & offer this as a shipping option (so he could chose this when paying & I would not have to pay FVF on shipping costs) but can't seem to see how to do this. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

when he/ or she purchases the item, you send them an invoice, on the invoice under shipping services there is an option for local pick up.. so you then send the invoice with local pick up checked..  

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I ran into a difficult situation where a buyer wanted to pay with Paypal, and only Paypal, with a  local pickup

The buyer's Paypal payment was refunded....  buyer refused to make the local pickup and pay cash....  Transaction was cancelled.

The payment option for a local pickup is the seller's choice, as defined by eBay.

Cash has always been my option with a local pickup...

With a cash payment the buyer views the item purchased,  and buyer cannot make a claim of item not received received.

Also... I do not send an invoice until after the cash payment is made.  There is always a possibility that with an invoice with zero cost for shipping, a buyer would pay using Paypal and and ask that the purchase be mailed to them.

Once a cash payment is received,  this payment is noted with the transaction on eBay.

A local pickup up   has always been a cash payment when the purchased item is picked up

Potential buyers always ask if a local pickup is possible.  The possibility of a local pickup is never mentioned in a listing.  Many local buyer will  still choose to have the purchased item mailed to them

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

when he/ or she purchases the item, you send them an invoice, on the invoice under shipping services there is an option for local pick up.. so you then send the invoice with local pick up checked..  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Oh I had thought there would be an option when listing. Thank you. eBay does not charge FVF on what the shipping would have been then just on what is paid which would be zero?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

YES, that is why you don't get invoiced on shipping fees, until you send an invoice and it gets paid.. gives you the option to switch shipping to what you have set up, either local pick up, tracked expedited etc...

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@katlover1952 wrote:

I have a buyer who is interested in an item of mine and it is possible that he could pick up & avoid costly shipping costs. I wanted to revise my item & offer this as a shipping option (so he could chose this when paying & I would not have to pay FVF on shipping costs) but can't seem to see how to do this. Can anyone help me with this. Thanks.

If listing with calculated shipping, local pickup does not show as a choice.

Flat rate shipping allows local shipping to be displayed as an option.

My method is to set a high flat rate and free local pickup and give the buyer 48 hours to purchase. Then calculated gets switched back on.

=..=

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It's only available with Flat Rate shipping choices.

Remember that with Local Pickup you are allowed to demand cash payment.

Most experienced sellers recommend cash on pickup, not only to avoid the PP fee, but because without proof of delivery, your customer could Dispute as Item Not Received.

The PP fee is more important of course, most people are honest.

BTW with Local Pickup the buyer is protected by his inspection of the purchase before payment. The seller is protected by getting cash.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I ran into a difficult situation where a buyer wanted to pay with Paypal, and only Paypal, with a  local pickup

The buyer's Paypal payment was refunded....  buyer refused to make the local pickup and pay cash....  Transaction was cancelled.

The payment option for a local pickup is the seller's choice, as defined by eBay.

Cash has always been my option with a local pickup...

With a cash payment the buyer views the item purchased,  and buyer cannot make a claim of item not received received.

Also... I do not send an invoice until after the cash payment is made.  There is always a possibility that with an invoice with zero cost for shipping, a buyer would pay using Paypal and and ask that the purchase be mailed to them.

Once a cash payment is received,  this payment is noted with the transaction on eBay.

A local pickup up   has always been a cash payment when the purchased item is picked up

Potential buyers always ask if a local pickup is possible.  The possibility of a local pickup is never mentioned in a listing.  Many local buyer will  still choose to have the purchased item mailed to them

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Just seeing if I got the steps on how to do this from these replies.  Item is listed with a BIN or Best Offer.  Local pickup is not checked when I listed, but buyer emailed first and asked. I said ok but do not pay with paypal. Buyer makes offer, I accept, but they do not pay with Paypal.

Then meet in person, buyer likes item, gives me cash.

THEN I go home,

send an invoice with zero shipping, mark as paid on the invoice?

or in the seller ebay page?  Buyer does nothing?f

How does ebay then know how not to charge FVF on shipping but the price only? what am I missing? 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Once a payment has been received with a local pickup ....

Create and send an invoice with shipping equals $0.00.... mark it as cash on pick up.

go to the small arrow to the left  of the transaction... click on this small arrow.

Mark as Payment received..... and then

Mark as shipped...   

When the buyer took it away after paying cash... it was "shipped"

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

so if I send the invoice from my paypal account with 0.00 shipping, ebay knows this when billing me FVF?  so far all my sales it knows the total with PayNow from the ebay page.  sorry, I've never invoiced before from paypal.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@heartovermind wrote:

so if I send the invoice from my paypal account with 0.00 shipping, ebay knows this when billing me FVF?  so far all my sales it knows the total with PayNow from the ebay page. 

You send the invoice through eBay not through PayPal.

The "Send invoice" will be on the list of "more actions" next to the purchase in your Sold section on eBay (it disappears as a choice when the buyer has paid)

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I feel like this is a question that I've answered dozens of times but I cannot find a single thread to reference that has all the necessary information so here I go again.

I use Local Pickup on a regular basis as a seller. Its chief drawback is that it and Immediate Payment Required (IPR) are mutually exclusive. You cannot have both enabled on the same listings, there is no override for domestic buyers.

There are two places you may add it. One is under Shipping. That's only if you're selling something SO BIG it cannot be shipped. The others are under payment. One says you'll let the buyer pay cash on pickup the other allows them to pay paypal and then get it. You can also there add a handling fee for pickups to make it worth your while. While a Local Pickup is free for the buyer, I slot an hour for each one. Some buyers arrive late, some buyers arrive early. Some chat too much. Some customers turn into friends. You never know. 

Paypal is in fact safe for Local Pickup as long as your Send Invoice reflects the buyer is choosing Local Pickup. This voids the buyer's ability to claim item not received. Paypal changed this in their user agreement a few years ago. I called to confirm it twice with their Customer Service Reps. 

There are other places in other threads where I made screenshots of how and where to add these things. If you wanted to find them, search Local Pickup and then isolate by my user name. 

Write back if you need more information or clarification on any of these points.

There is a whole other debate over whether to offer Local Pickup (and how to do it safely) which I won't get into here. In Toys, I don't suffer from worries about being mugged on my doorstep. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply