Is there any way I can reduce attempted scams ?

I use to mainly sell on ebay but have branched off to other markets because of how much ebay has changed and currently sell on 4 platforms not included ebay . Have been back for about a month and sold about 50 new items mainly electronics . 5 total items returned 3 did not match serial numbers when returned as item sent out , 1 was a controller it seemed like the buyer dipped in a giant bowl of juice and 1  item was missing main operational part which is 1/2 the value of whole item  . 

I get that I can go through seller support and have had to fight these cases but whats the point of continuing if  this is the rate I will have to do it . Every market place has fraud current rate on other marketplaces is about 1%  and case reslove in our favor and not having to deal with the police department like ebay requires . Most of the products sold are popular in ebay com but being the only seller on ca I am exposing myself to a problem I did not know existed on the platform and there is no solution other then staying away  ..

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Part of the problem is your low feedback, which attracts scammers and repels nervous buyers.

So do a little buying from sellers who leave FB on shipment would be one way.

Since you are not using your selling ID it is difficult to see if there is something in your listings that is encouraging fraud.

In my opinion, one way to encourage scammers is to have a No Returns policy, since scammers know that returns or no, you cannot haves a No Refunds policy. A No Returns policy not only makes the seller look difficult to work with for honest buyers, but ignorant about policies by scammers.

But electronics is a high value/high fraud category. The one percent overall failed transaction rate is higher in electronics (and horse tack, sneakers, and dolls for that matter.).

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your reply , yes I am not using my selling account but it does have trusted seller status a few thousand feedback . I offer 30 day buyer pays return shipping . Electronics are high value fraud on ebay I guess because of their leanant return program but I am sitting at 5/50 10 % . My fraud return rate with all other markets combined is about 30 / 7000 .  I guess the numbers just speak for themself and theres nothing I can do to control it and I have to decide if I want to open 5 police reports every 50 items I sell ...

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The "protection" afforded by offering returns is misleading.  If someone returns something incorrectly or an empty box they have committed mail fraud (this is a federal crime) eBay will cover some of that but it's hush money, they do not want you to complain to them or anyone else. 

If anyone successfully scams you or even attempts to scam you (regardless if eBay covers you or not) you still need to report the buyer.

First call the CAFC https://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm 

Then report it to your local police department, give them the reference number from the CAFC.  Send the police report to eBay.

Unlikely that it will help you if the scammer was successful but the only way to help yourself and others is to report it.  People that do it likely are repeat offenders, if enough reports are filed at least, you have done your part which may help someone else down the road and or possibly help you.  

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

the more pictures and accurate the description the better.

while fraud is not as prevailent in the car parts category, part swapping can be.

-  I take the extra time and effort to select all applicable model years and trims for each part I sell (rather than have a blank "Contact Seller for Fitment"). This limits user error and the number of "Part does not fit" returns, I'd say about 75% of buyers use the car selector drop down feature (I can see it in the notes in my orders).

- I also put distinctive markings when I can in location that won't affect cosmetically the part being sold. If you want an example of that, check the white Honda Civic mirror cover I sold 2-3 weeks ago, you will see in one of the pictures a couple of distinctive markings inside the cover (the part that you don't see once installed). I don't know if that could also be done in Electronics or not (to avoid item swapping as well).

Of course, as the others said, electronics is more prone to fraud than other categories. When I won a PS4 at a Christmas party a couple years ago (pre-covid), I immediately sold it on the free local classifieds also owned by eBay rather than going to the trouble of selling it here for more dollars, depends on your comfort level I guess. I'm much more comfortable selling car parts and diecasts that can reached up to US$800, most buyers in these categories are honest end-users (not resellers) and also tend to be repeat buyers (vs the one offs in Electronics).

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

that's a lot

I average 1% of sales

when I didn't know what I was doing (shipping international without tracking) it was as high as 3%, but that's on me, I learned since then 🙂

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

People that do it likely are repeat offenders, if enough reports are filed at least, you have done your part which may help someone else down the road and or possibly help you.  

Reporting buyers to ebay is also useless as much as offering returns. I once talked with a manager from ebay because I've got scammed and found out that he was a well-known scammer. I was **bleep** and at the same was very curious about how could one person constantly scams several people at once? The manager said, one buyer can purchase 10 items, and at the same time, claim item not received later all together. It's not like ebay will call the buyers and talk to them. ebay will not block the ids, or credit cards, or anything. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply