Item not received case but it was shipped

$30 item sold

Shipping to Peru was about $10-12 for air service.

The day the buyer could have opened a dispute they did

I responded saying that I have never lost an item and all delays have arrived. This is true to over 45 countries in the last 10 years on my business account on here.

They never responded.

Forwarded the case to eBay on the first day they could

So, Yes eBay will refund this buyer.

They would never have paid $40 for shipping and TRACKING on a $30 item.

Why will eBay refund the total amount including shipping even though I have paid shipping through SHippo and have proof of digital payment. I understand the cost of the item can be refunded...but the digital receipt of shipping should not be charged in my opinion.

Is anyone else bothered by this?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

In a dispute of "Item Not Received", what matters to eBay is proof of delivery. Proof of shipping is not enough. Under eBay's Money Back Guarantee, since you are unable to prove delivery, the buyer is entitled to a full refund.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

If you are selling anything to South America I would only ship with a Tracking Number. No Exceptions!

Peru with the rest of South America is a shipping no-no!

You had to refund the buyer the full amount (including shipping) because that's the eBay Money Back Guarantee. Get the item you ordered or get your money back (covers your purchase price and original shipping).

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

"Is anyone else bothered by this?"

Yes. That is the reason I ship only Tracked Packet now for items that are parcel-sized. Small Packets Airmail is out. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

One of the best pieces of advice that I ever got from another member here was when I was new to selling, like you, and I was sending parcels out to international buyers via untracked packets, like you, because I thought no one would pay extra for the tracked service that served to protect me from cases of Items Not Received.

It was this: the seller decides was postage services to use and what to charge for them, not the buyer. The buyer gets to decide if it's worth it to them or not.

The seller decides. This is your stuff and your money that you'll be giving away each time you get a case of an Item Not Received.

And let me tell you, new sellers get a disproportionate number of INRs. At least I did, and I had five times the feedback count as you when I listed my first items for sale here.

I would advise you to cull that list of countries you ship-to to shed the high-risk locations and either self-insure an extra dollar handling fee per package sent or take out third-party insurance on your parcels if you really don't want to switch to Tracked Packet. If you take the third-party insurance route, you need to do your homework because some destinations are still not insurable and there are requirements on mailing you'll need to have done if you must make a claim after the fact. 

Buyers do pay for Tracked Packet, the key is to make it worth their while. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

They would never have paid $40 for shipping and TRACKING on a $30 item.

Some sales are not worth having.

If your customer couldn't find it in Peru, then his cost is going to be $70 which includes the cost of shipping with tracking.

If he can't afford that, it's his problem not yours.

Take this as a life lesson.

The purpose of tracking is Seller Protection. It does nothing for the buyer, but he still has to pay for it.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Well, hindsight is 20/20 hey 😉 Whats interesting is the timing that the buyer open the dispute and forwarded it to eBay. The exact day which makes me suspicious they had planned to do this from the start.

However, what bothers me is that I will lose on the price of shipping even though there is a receipt that I paid for shipping.

If the item was lost without insurance - yes, take the $30 from my PayPal - fine; however, get the $10 shipping back from the shipping company..in this case Canada Post or Shippo and have them refund the buyer the shipping fee. That's my point.

If I have no evidence of actually buying a shipping label then I understand taking all of the money. But when a label is purchased ...the intent is to ship the item right?

So, by refunding the amount 100% from me the shipping company has just made $10 and has no responsibility in the transaction.

Frustrating

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

If you used an insured postal service, and you still have the receipt (which you should if you bought it online) then go to Canada Post with your claim.

Personally, I would phone them because in my experience the nice ladies in New Brunswick have more authority to pay claims than you would expect.

Politely.--- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

You purchased the postage so you are the one who would have to pursue any claim with Canada Post, they wouldn't deal with anyone else.  But if the service that you used didn't have insurance and/or you didn't purchase insurance from a third party, it's unlikely that you would get anywhere with a claim.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

In simple terms, you were set up by the buyer. You are going to be out the purchase price and the shipping costs.

As a newbie seller, you should be very restrictive where you sell to.

I have been here since 1999 and don't ship to 90% ot the countries, and generally only US and Canada on Ebay for exactly these reasons.

And as an aside, tracking and insurance will not protect you from a SNAD claim if the buyer is dishonest.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

And as an aside, tracking and insurance will not protect you from a SNAD claim if the buyer is dishonest.

Have you heard the Good News about Cookie Jar Insurance?

Well I know dutchman has, but OP, this is just adding a small amount, rarely more than a dime, to every asking price as a virtual self-insurance premium.

Which goes in a virtual Cookie Jar.

Should any problem arise, including the Not As Described claim, you use the money in the Cookie Jar to cover your costs, whether that is a Return Shipping Label or covering your Non-Delivery claim.

Most of us who use CJI find we actually make money on it, especially if we count in the money we save on shipments we don't buy tracking for.

I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience so early in your career here.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

You could have insured it for less than $1 cdn when buying the small packet international air through shippo. You get the scan in receipt from the post office day stamped before you leave. That is all the insurance offered through shippo requires. Insurepost is similar but costs $1.60 US and has to be bought seperately.

https://goshippo.com/terms-service/insurance/https://goshippo.com/terms-service/insurance/

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

You may very carefully read the statement below concerning tracking.

In order for a package to be covered, the shipping carrier must have verified acceptance of your package for mailing. This is found on the respective tracking websites of the shipping carriers. If a shipping label is printed but not scanned by the carrier as accepted it is deemed as never been mailed and there is no coverage

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

You may very carefully read the statement below concerning tracking.

In order for a package to be covered, the shipping carrier must have verified acceptance of your package for mailing. This is found on the respective tracking websites of the shipping carriers. If a shipping label is printed but not scanned by the carrier as accepted it is deemed as never been mailed and there is no coverage

See post 10 in the Ask Shippo thread.

See FAQ #10: http://www.shipsurance.com/questions

Canada Post shippers: We are aware that Small Packets may not contain a tracking or customs number. In order to cover your packages with Shipsurance, make sure that your shipments have some form of indication of acceptance from Canada Post. You can have your Postal Representative or Post Master provide an acceptance stamp on your shipping receipt that indicates their acceptance into the mail flow.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I know what shipsurance (Insure Post) says as I use them all the time.

I would be leery of Shippo as they don't list excluded countries, of which there are many,  either.

Peru is not on their list as a ship to country.

Unless Shippo can over ride the excluded countries, etc, I would not have any faith in them.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Shipsurance is used by their open certificate holders and they do insure to Peru. Insure post who is their subsiduary for one off claims do not.

So the OP could have got insurance depending on what was sent.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Must also be on another account so have no details.

The one posted with has been inactive for over a year

Message 17 of 17
latest reply