Managed Payments come to Canada

It's official Managed Payments will be arriving in Canada "later this year".

Personally I'm not too concerned.

Official announcement here:

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-continues-to-expand-its-management-of-payments-to-australi...

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Managed Payments come to Canada

@femmefan1946 wrote:

@thunderclawz 

But not a game changer unless the seller has a very high Dispute rate. Or actually a high lost Dispute rate.

High value sellers are protected already on Not Received claims because they would be tracking their shipments. Low value sellers like me don't, because the costs are higher than potential losses.

So the fee on every single frickin' sale becomes more important.

Ten sales of $10 each through Paypal cost 30c plus $2.90.

Ten sales of $10 each through Managed Payments *costs $2.50 plus $2.70.

Every seller will be looking at her own bottom line.

*I may have the percentages wrong. Dysnumeric.

It's not just disputes. It's also cancellations, partial shipping refunds and sales tax. On all of these sellers currently pay non-refundable fees via PayPal (some not in effect for a couple of more weeks). With managed payments the fees will be refunded or in the case of Sales Tax not charged at all.

Now if anyone can tell me what the cross-border rates will be with Managed Payment I'd like to know.

the PayPal 2.9% is nice but that only applies to domestic sales, everything else is either 3.4 or 4.4 depending on destination. I haven't been able to find out what the international & US rates for Managed Payments will be.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 41 of 55
latest reply

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

I suspect it encourages Disputes, since the customer may think it will be the only way to get a refund.

Of course the seller can demand proof of return before refunding in any case.

The basic question becomes who pays for the return shipping.

And the refusal to refund fees is pretty bad PR. If they wanted to keep sellers they could at least put a deadline on it, like 24 hours and no shipping, which would cover most cancellations.

Message 42 of 55
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

And the refusal to refund fees is pretty bad PR. If they wanted to keep sellers they could at least put a deadline on it, like 24 hours and no shipping, which would cover most cancellations.

Unless you have a link showing something different my understanding is that cancellations will have fees refunded under MP just as they have been (ending soon) with PayPal.

Message 43 of 55
latest reply

Some fresher info from the American forums:

Really good news: the fixed fee (30 cents starting July 20) will be per order not per item.

"An order is defined as any number of items purchased by the same buyer at checkout with the same shipping method."

Bad news: sales tax will have the payment % applied

Differences:

- The payment % will be rolled into the FVF % rather than there being 2 separate fees. Looks like the payment portion adds 2.35% (versus paypal's 2.9%).

- FVF will be charged against the sale amount immediately, rather than monthly. All other fees (listing, store, etc) will continue to have a monthly invoice.

Unknown: Will the MP use the same % for domestic and international sales?

Lots of discussion (much of it sound and fury with a mix of bad math). Current PM members are unhappy that some of their sweet fee deals are going away (25 cent fixed fee, and no fee on sales tax) in July.

eBay.com forum discussion:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Managed-Payments-Answers-to-some-Frequently-Asked-Questions/t...

-..-

Message 44 of 55
latest reply

I hate eBay. Going to shut my account down and try somewhere else
Message 45 of 55
latest reply

Be Careful....

Managed Payments  will be different in Canada than the US..

as it will be different in other countries where Managed Payments will also become a reality

In general the same....  but different in selected specifics

Message 46 of 55
latest reply

I all ways shut down for the summer starting in June and come back in late September

I stopped buying just before the virus hit and with all the markets ans shows stopped so I am lucky I don't have much stock on hand. I'll watch to see when MP starts if there are lots of problems which I would think you will see and make my mind up then.

Message 47 of 55
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis 

Has anything similar to this been released for dot ca sellers?

As per Brian T (Community Team) on dot com July 7, 2020

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/simpler-fees.html

-Lotz

Message 48 of 55
latest reply

I'm assuming all this Managed Payment stuff is to allow eBay to make money instead of Paypal. I use Paypal shipping (using Canada Post) for about 25% of my sales (postage stamps on the rest). It's easy, order payments go into Paypal account, postage payment comes out, I print shipping labels. I take out the difference/remainder out of Paypal every few weeks. Will eBay (or who-ever is running the Managed Payments) have a postage option? If so will they be able to take $ from my chequing account? Canada Post online can't, they are credit card only.

Message 49 of 55
latest reply

I can’t confirm this but it’s my understanding that eBay is working on setting up a system so that we can print labels through eBay rather than on another site.  Payment for those labels will come from the buyers payment for that item.  But even if I used that system, I would make sure that I had a way to pay for a label on another site in case there were problems with the eBay label program.

Message 50 of 55
latest reply

1984axe
Community Member

So basically, we will get charge for final value listing fees roughly 10% final value fees; then when buyer pays, we get charge again as a seller for 0.25 cents and 2.75% payment fees?

WTH....... So they want to avoid paypal making that 3% transaction fee.  Wow; congrats Ebay.  At the very least, make it half of what paypal charges in terms of transaction fees.  That's just blatantly Fudge off on the sellers face.  There's no incentive at all especially if you sell high end items; you better find an auction house that charges flat 10% fee. 

Message 51 of 55
latest reply

@1984axe wrote:

So basically, we will get charge for final value listing fees roughly 10% final value fees; then when buyer pays, we get charge again as a seller for 0.25 cents and 2.75% payment fees?

ZOMBIE thread with OLD out of date information

Dec/2020:

Under MP there is one fee charged (rolling FVF and PayPal fees together).

30 cents per sale plus a percentage of total sale (including shipping).

Proceeds paid to the Seller's bank account.

-..-

Message 52 of 55
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello everyone , i had an issue with my payouts , all of them giving me payout failed , i did check with ebay and as they said everything seems normal so they reffer me to my bank .... i did call my bank and same answer everything seems normal because ebay collect your bank information Automatically when you want to enroll a checking account and you login to the online banking so no information entered manyally for errors ..... now both side says everything good and my payouts giving me failed ... one thing my bank mentionad that if ebay usa who is paying you so you have to fill eform 1700 and provide it to ebay !!!! did anyone do that ? and if i fill that form where i upload it ?? to who i must give it ?? no one from ebay mentionad to me and i mentionad i am in canada !!!!  any help please with that ?

thanks 

Message 53 of 55
latest reply

After many years of eBay ruining its website, this is the final straw for me as a seller. As if they didn't have enough money they had to $#^& with their own payment system in order to make more money. Done.

Message 54 of 55
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi everyone - 

Due to the time that has passed since this thread has begun I have closed it from further replies. If this is still a topic that warrants discussion please don't hesitate to begin a new thread.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 55 of 55
latest reply