RE: Managed Payments- slightly less frequently asked questions.

On the whole this post was helpful and even reassuring.

But it does not allow for more detailed questions.

Can I receive funds in USD if I list on eBay.com?

While you will still be able to list on eBay.com using a Canadian bank account, you will not initially be able to be paid out in USD. We understand that this is an important and unique distinction for some businesses, and our goal is to make this as seamless a transition as possible. We will activate your account when the features of managed payments meet the needs of your business. 

I sell on dotCOM in USD. I have a US bank account. A bank account with an American bank (not a Canadian bank account in USD).

Can I have my USD payments sent to my American bank?

Many business sellers who have been in mail order for decades, some of us before eBay existed, have American bank accounts and would prefer to use them, avoiding the problems and cost of currency exchange.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Hi everyone - the list of currently restricted items with managed payments does not mean those items are being discontinued from eBay. 

From the payments team: 

Not all features, listing categories, and optional upgrades are available for managed payments sellers currently. We are enhancing our roadmap, and additional categories will be supported over time.

If you received a registration email and sell currency, vehicles or anything else from the list of categories currently excluded from managed payments please consider requesting the payments team call you back so you can discuss it with them. You can have them reach out to you at the bottom of any payments Help Page. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

I have exactly the same situation Femme.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

There was a book about buying coins on-line.

Seller can make a coin look better than it really is, and then sell it for good money.

Between cleaning and working a coin, and then photography,  buyers can be told a lie.

The final recommendation in the book ...

Always buy in person, do not buy on-line

The most interesting situation was the story of a buyer on-line  that took their collection that was purchase on-line,  to a local coin collector  and found out they had been "robbed" by the online seller's  lies.

Sellers can 'lie' or make an item look better in the photograph in ANY category...especially  collectible (including books).    To tell people to only buy in person is ridiculous considering how many people purchase coins and other collectibles here each day and are happy with their purchases.  A buyer should do their due diligence whether purchasing online or in person. I've seen collectible coins for sale at coin shows or in a store that were overpriced and/or not necessarily the deal that they seemed to be.  I don't disagree that physically seeing something before purchasing it can tell you more about the item than it buying online but I think that the majority of online transactions...coins or otherwise...go smoothly for both buyer and seller.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

Anyone that is considering selling either a coin or stamp collection would be best advised to ALWAYS get a minimum of 2 appraisals. All part of due dilligence. Never take the first offer. Every expert will see differences in both a large or small collection..Be it condition or a possible hidden treasure mixed within. Same goes for shopping online. Opinions can and will vary. And whenever you think you know everything, you will most likely come across someone that knows just a bit more. A real expert is willing to share.

-Lotz

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Very few collectors are as knowledgable as a dealer, if only because the dealer sees more of the collectible, and if she has any sense does more reading and learning about the obscure corners of the hobby than most collectors.

When we did appraisals, which DH still does, the collector paid for a written appraisal, on letterhead, which on at least one occasion he had to testify about in court.

Free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

I'm constantly telling people who want to know whether their inherited collection is worth anything, to read pages 13 and 14 of the Scott Catalog, which explain and illustrate what the terms used in the catalog mean.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply