Research into why my ebay store sales are declining.

A while back I posted on big sales declines at my store and invited commentary.

From that--helpful posters offered good critique and I made some major changes based on their input and my own research.This involved a complete site and listing overhaul--a careful study of how Cassini was choosing its listing preferences and the result is this.

From having almost no listings in "best search" I have gone to top lister in the "fine jewelry" section of my Ammolite Jewelry world and the traffic to my store has doubled.

I do all the things that Ebay wants--ship in 1 day.Refund either 14 or 30 days.Free shipping.Classy images and so on.I have top feedback and good seller ranking.

So here I sit with double the visitors to my site than a month ago--in fact much more than a year ago when my sales were humming.

The end result of all of this is I have increased my visitors substantially to my shop with these adjustments-- BUT at what should be the busiest sales time of year--sales are still dismal.

So.

I have doubled the traffic to my store so Ebay is doing its job--it IS bringing me lots of visitors--but those visitors are NOT buyers.

So the big problem lies outside Ebay's sphere of influence and I can only speculate what the problem is.

So I checked with people in my exact line selling OUTSIDE Ebay and they report that their sales have declined dramatically also.

So after all this I have come to this conclusion.

The problem does not lie with Ebay because if you follow their "best practices"--they DO bring buyers to your store.

The problem is a change of attitude among the buying public--and that attitude is FEAR.

I strongly believe that buyers are anticipating the mother of all financial crises looming on the horizon and so they are not buying.

The only buyers are the wealthy as evidenced that my few sales are big ones of the most expensive items I carry--so I have doubled my inventory of such items and hope for better results.

My only comment on Ebay is that they now give preference to large listers of trash items pretending to be quality in the "fine Jewelry" section.It suggests that Cassini cant tell trash from quality which is a disservice for seekers of quality.

I invite your comments.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Even though you've stated that sales outside of eBay reported by your colleagues are also declining, that is not my experience.

My eBay sales are hitting the skids but my sales elsewhere are consistently improving.

IMO eBay has been bending over backwards to cater to sellers of Walmart type mass produced items.

Electronics are the thing now.  BTW, that too will pass and when it does one has to wonder where that will leave eBay.

Since those are the buyers and sellers they are catering to right now, that's the new eBay atmosphere.

As a result buyers and sellers of One of a Kind (OOAK)  items like the pieces you have are not as comfortable here as they used to be.

They've moved on or are in the process of doing so.

When you spend a lot of money on a special piece, you as a buyer want to feel special.

Other sites do that better.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

"So I checked with people in my exact line selling OUTSIDE Ebay and they report that their sales have declined dramatically also."

That is the answer to your question.  Sales in this category of products are down, nothing to do with your improved listings or eBay or the search engines on eBay.  Fewer individuals around the world want to buy those products today.

Why?  Is it important to know since there is nothing you can do about it?

For over twenty-five years I have been selling postage stamps to collectors and dealers.  In the last few years sales have declined.

Why?  Because fewer collectors are willing to buy postage stamps from dealers.Two major factors (there are more)

1) Collectors are generally getting older and most of those who passed away or gave up the hobby have not been replaced by younger ones. When I see that the membership of the APS (American Philatelic Society) dropped from 55,000 to 35,000 in the last ten or twenty years, it gives me part of the answer.

2) In the "good old days" collectors had little choice but to buy from dealers and sell to dealers.  In the last fifteen years, many collectors have used the Internet (eBay and other sites) to sell their stamps directly to other collectors, by-passing the dealers.  Looking at "stamp" listings on eBay today, the number of listings has increased tremendously from ten or fifteen years ago.  Looking closely, it is evident most of the listings come from individual collectors, not dealers anymore.

And life does go on.

To fully understand what is happening to your product line, you would need expensive market research.  Why were folks buying last year and not buying this year?

Was it a fad like the pet rock or the "Flower Power" stickers of the late 1960's?

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

...those are the buyers and sellers they are catering to right now....

Oh yes, I think we all knew that at the beginning of the year.

Since we seem to, at times, attract a Wal-Mart type of buyer, I have adopted the mindset of a Wal -Mart seller.

Can you offer some lower priced, comparable items to draw traffic to your other items?

I would think other venues, in addition to eBay, would be worth exploring.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

Why would the "WalMart" buyer come here? Why not go to a WM store or their website?

I have even heard of eBay sellers who wait for an order then buy it at the WM site and have it delivered to the customer.

But it is true that products, even high end ones like Blackberries, are subject to consumer fads. As we Boomers come to the end of our economic lives as consumers, our place is being taken over, not by the Baby Bust of the late 60s through 1980 or so, but by the Echo or Millenial Generation.

Figure out what they want, and you have found your market.

I would recommend that sellers read Boom, Bust ,Echo 2000 by David Flood. It's nearly 20 years old now, but discusses what people generally want at various stages in their lives and gives (somewhat outdated) charts of where the CANADIAN population is now. You can do some extrapolation to update the charts. It should be in your public library under Demography.

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

There are plenty of sellers on Ebay who sell lower grade ammolite and they are suffering too so my joining in their sphere by offering lower priced lower quality goods would do no good.

In fact the reverse seems to be the case as stated in my post.

Go upmarket seems to be the better choice.

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

re

"Why?  Is it important to know since there is nothing you can do about it?"

A surprising comment coming from one who usually dispenses wisdom worth reading.

Very defeatist comment.

My answer to that is this.

When you don't know what you don't know and don't try and find the answers--then there is nothing you can do.

But if you search to learn what you don't know--and find the answers---then its possible to do something about it.

Things I am doing.

I have created a stand alone website and stocked it.I am driving traffic to that site and sales are starting albeit slowly.I am investing in good results a year from now.

If successful then I will no longer compete with the trash Ebay presents--a lot of it not even genuine Ammolite--- for searchers looking for real quality Ammolite.

I have started a commercial Facebook page and have started on Pinterest too--all to drive traffic to my stand alone site.

I would probably have done none of this except that you got me thinking with your comments to my prior posts for which I thank you.

So yes--there is a lot that can be done and lots more to do.

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

If and when you find good alternative venues other than the usual ones--do let us know.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

Pierre is talking about stamps and I'm not sure how well that generalizes to many other areas.

There will always be collectors and people who will pay high prices for nice things.

That will never change.

Femme has alluded to the following in various ways many times and IMO it's right on:

Some people are happy to pay more for an item because they believe that the higher the price, the better the item.

Sometimes that's true and sometimes it's an illusion, but that doesn't matter at the moment.

While there are numerous exceptions, eBay is currently generally the wrong venue for selling high priced quality OOAK items. 

Fees are high and buyers here want a deal and if they are willing to work and search for it, they will find those bargain basement prices.

That's what you compete with on eBay.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

I don't know about jewelry, but the topic turned to collectibles and there was a suggestion that interest has declined.

That got my attention  and made me do a quick little search.  (Say it's not true!)

An example of how collectors are as passionate today as always can be seen in the Antique Doll listings.

Some are selling for over $20,000 and there are quite a few over $10,000…………. and that's on eBay where prices tend to be rock bottom.

If that's a decline then one has to wonder what was going on in that area 20 years ago.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

To the OP -- In many ways, you and I are in the same business -- selling custom-made, unique products.  I've been selling in the same categories on eBay for a few years now, and I would have to agree with you that it's no longer the "garage-sale" type of goods that seem to sell, but the high-quality, OOAK, more expensive items that go first and fast.  

This wasn't the case even 2 or 3 years ago (at least not in the categories in which I sell), when I steadily sold a lot of little vintage items of decent quality but lower price.  I've seen the same comment from various sellers of OOAK items in the past few months.  

On the other hand, I keep a close track of listings in my categories, and there seems to have been a general lowering of quality over the past year or so -- here I'm speaking of vintage/antique/reproduction clothing and accessories.  What I surmise from this is that unique and well-made items of high quality tend to stand out in strong relief against the masses of "junk".  This may be one explanation for your higher traffic/lower sell-through experience.  

With all due respect to Pierre, the reasons he gives for changes in his area of expertise likely don't apply to yours (or mine), although I agree that shifting demographics will obviously change buying styles and interests -- all those baby boomers who had money to collect things and buy for home and personal use are now hitting retirement and finding they have to be more careful about where that money goes. 

I do also agree that there's a general economic wariness and, let's face it, people have less money to spend on discretionary items these days.  The ones who still have 'mad money' want the best quality and the most unique items they can get.  

I'm selling fewer items overall, but the items that do sell are the really stand-out articles that are priced accordingly. Hence I've switched my strategy to accommodate what buyers seem to want.  So I think your idea of offering more of the "special", higher-priced pieces is not misplaced.  Still, you might want to think about offering ancillary items of lower price, something broadly related to, but not competing with, your jewellery. 

I've used my own stand-alone website in the reverse way you have -- it's essentially a showcase with links to drive interest to my eBay store.  Since the cost of maintaining a full e-commerce website just isn't rational for me at the moment, this serves the purpose well.  I know it's working from looking at the Omniture stats of where my eBay traffic originates, so it's been useful marketing for the ca. $120 a year I pay to maintain it.  Facebook and Pinterest are next, but I still have to get over my horror of being "exposed" on Facebook. 

An interesting point was made by one poster concerning the flood of cheap 'dollar store' sellers fading away.  I think that although eBay has attracted so many of these sellers recently, and (my opinion) has made massive changes to its site to make them comfortable here, there may come a day when buyers tire of all the junk, and then eBay will need its independent sellers again, what I refer to as "boutique" sellers.  

The thing is to hang on through the muddle that is the present-day eBay until that point arrives, and (again, my opinion) the trick to hanging on can be summed up in two words: adaptation and diversification.  We've heard it before, but it's worth repeating.  You have to continually be alert, search out new ways of surviving - and hopefully thriving - despite the shape-shifting all around that is the new eBay.  You can't rest on your laurels here...

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

I should add, to my comments above, that there is a sort of price "ceiling" in my categories beyond which it seems hopeless to try to sell. That ceiling seems to be somewhere between $300 and $350.  

However, there are buyers for excellent quality items if you can afford to offer prices in that range.  Above those values I think it's now a tough row to hoe, unless you have a completely unique and rare collectible (like the dolls). 

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

An interesting point was made by one poster concerning the flood of cheap 'dollar store' sellers fading away.  I think that although eBay has attracted so many of these sellers recently, and (my opinion) has made massive changes to its site to make them comfortable here, there may come a day when buyers tire of all the junk, and then eBay will need its independent sellers again, what I refer to as "boutique" sellers.  

The thing is to hang on through the muddle that is the present-day eBay until that point arrives, and (again, my opinion) the trick to hanging on can be summed up in two words: adaptation and diversification.  We've heard it before, but it's worth repeating.  You have to continually be alert, search out new ways of surviving - and hopefully thriving - despite the shape-shifting all around that is the new eBay.  You can't rest on your laurels here...

I think I must be the one so kindly referred to as "One Poster."

However, that's not what I was saying or beleve.

When the craze for electronic gadgets has subsided, and it will, then where that leave eBay?

They are shaping the site around that junk.  People will get tired of buying a new i-phone every year and tossing the old one into the junk pile.

Then eBay will be left with thousands of Dollar Store Garbage Shops.

The sellers of quality items are leaving every day, and they won't be back.

There is a very good chance that eBay will soon be the junk pile of on line venues.

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

"A surprising comment ..."

My comment was more in response to your statement in the original post:

"I have come to this conclusion.

The problem is a change of attitude among the buying public--and that attitude is FEAR.

I strongly believe that buyers are anticipating the mother of all financial crises looming on the horizon and so they are not buying."

So you have reached a conclusion that has nothing to do with your products, your pricing, your policies, your competitors, your industry or eBay.  If you view the world with such negative outlook ("financial crisis looming"), there is then no point in trying to understand why your products do not sell.  May be my post should have been more specific.

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

Try thinking outside of the box.

re:

"If you view the world with such negative outlook ("financial crisis looming")"

In fact I personally do believe we are heading for a global financial crisis--but In fact I am one of those looking for ways to counter it, survive it and maybe even profit from it.

How is that negative?

I believe the US is leading the world into a financial crisis by the actions of the Fed and Wall street.

You may not follow these things but for some time the Fed has been piling on debt by printing 90 billion dollars a month out of thin air and buying US debt with it--a shell game that is creating a monstrous national debt and that can only end badly.They have been feeding liquidity to a stock market that is in an irrational bubble and likely due to come down with a very big big bang.

This stuff is all true and verifiable and more and more folks are catching on and buying less of almost everything.Except very expensive hard assets like rare art and big pink diamonds which is what people do when they no longer trust their own currency and feel there is something very big and bad about to happen.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply

@i*m-still-here wrote:

There was no need to take umbrage at that reference -- I was in the middle of typing my post and couldn't recall exactly which person had said what, nor could I go back up and see the whole string.  Surely we can have a discussion without being wound up so tightly.  

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

@ammolitehunter wrote:

I believe the US is leading the world into a financial crisis by the actions of the Fed and Wall street.

I for one happen to agree with you.  The Federal Reserve has been playing a dangerous game that in the end will impact hundreds of millions around the world, and will likely end up shifting the power base from west to east.  The only reason people ordinary people still have money to spend is because debt has become the replacement for patience. 

Still, as Pierre says, life goes on.  

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@i*m-still-here wrote:

There was no need to take umbrage at that reference -- I was in the middle of typing my post and couldn't recall exactly which person had said what, nor could I go back up and see the whole string.  Surely we can have a discussion without being wound up so tightly.  

For your information, when you reply, if you look down under your reply you are composing, there is a link "View discussion in a popup" just before the post content you are replying to. Use that if you want to see what others have said in posts other than the one you are directly replying to.

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

"You may not follow these things"

I do, I certainly do.

Being retired I have lots of time on my hands and following the world of business and investment is my hobby.  Currently the Fed purchases $85 billion in bonds and similar financial instruments every month, pumping money in the American economy and financial markets, helping the American banking system in the process.  By the time the Fed tapers the program next year and end it in 2015 (hopefully) about $4 trillion dollars will have been added to the assets of the Fed.  A problem, yes; a challenge, yes; but not the end of the world.

Most experts expect there will be unintended consequences... eventually.  Most likely inflation as the added money in circulation will eventual fuel demand.  As the Fed stops fuelling the economy, the stock market may react negatively and interest may climb to fight inflation.  Then you have the worst of all worlds: higher interest costs resulting in falling house prices while savings and pensions are eroded by a falling stock market and business must pay higher interest to finance its capital expenditures and inventory buildup.

But that will not be the end of the world.

Take a look at 2008 financial crisis.  While a few large companies went under, most survived and, five years later, now do very well.

Back in 1981 we were paying over 20% interest for first mortgage. House prices were dropping like a stone. It was not easy yet we survived that crisis.

Back to the original question, it does not really matter what one's outlook is for the economy in the next many years: we still have to live and must make arrangements to survive whatever circumstances we will face.  And yes, some people will still be purchasing postage stamps for their collection, and others will buy their high priced collectibles, and others will accumulate gold, silver, jewelry and precious stones, while many unfortunately will struggle to put food on the table.  Fair?  Maybe not but that is the imperfect world we live in.

The world as we know it will not change that much.  We will adjust and adapt.

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

When I told Mary about the comment "You may not follow these things..." she had a big chuckle. 

In our dining room, the TV set is on all day (6am-5pm) on the BNN Network (alternating at times with its American counterpart).  She thinks I am a bit obsessive on the subject of business and investment.

Message 20 of 47
latest reply