Shipping Rate discrepancies

Ok,  I'm new and I see a lot of shipping threads. But..I have a question that I haven't seen answered. 

I have two issues:

Issue 1 - I have two puzzles for sale. Exact same dimensions, exact same weight. On the search summary page it shows the shipping as 20.66 for one item and 18.52 for the other. Both using my postal code. So that's the first part that's confusing. 

Issue 2 - When I click into either listing to look at the details the shipping tab there shows 28.88 for both, again to my postal code.

So why the difference between the two on the summary page. And then why the huge jump on the details page?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

tyler@ebay 

I really can't let this go and I have a new definitive example to show you why this is a big deal to me. I really would like some feedback to this and a resolution whether it's your software or my settings. 

Take this item:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Mr-Mouth-CIB-100-Tested-Tomy-Games/193531061673?hash=item2d0f59a5a9:...

Let's say I have a US address in my search of 90210. When I look at a 'summary' search my item shows up and it has shipping at 21.90. If I click on the listing itself and go look at the detailed view the shipping still says 21.90

Now let's say I change my address to N2J3Y3, this is where I am shipping from and to. On the summary screen it shows 12.35 for shipping and when I go to the detailed listing it shows 24.46! that's a 12 dollar difference that no buyer in their right mind is going to consider. 

So because of this I added a 25% discount to domestic shipping. So now when I do a search the shipping still says 12.35 but the detail is now 18.35 which is 24.46 - 25%, which is accurate but still way higher then the summary. 

So I did some research to see where the 12.35 might be coming from - maybe it was wrong. Here's what I found - On the Canada Post website if I enter the same dimensions and weight going from N2J3Y3 to N2J3Y3 the standard rate is 16.46 - if I discount that by 25% I come up with 12.35! So the summary screen is taking the standard rate and adding the 25% discount... But here's the thing, even if I remove the 25% domestic shipping discount the summary still stays at 12.35, it's always there.. So not only is the summary screen wrong but then the details screen is getting numbers I can't even comprehend...

Sorry for longwinded but I also work in support so I know it's important for developers to get as much detail as possible. Can someone please provide some feedback?

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Because it's even more frustrating. When I create a listing and hit the Calculate Shipping button and enter my N2J3y3 as source and destination. It pulls back the exact right rate! So that screen is working perfectly but the other two are totally out of whack. 

tyler@ebay 

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@ericsells75 - I need to apologize to you, I read your posts yesterday, prepped a reply mentally and then thought I had replied so you were left unacknowledged.  

Thank you for the detailed use-case that I can use with the tech team. Also, for what it's worth, I'm seeing this happen on different accounts across both eBay Canada and eBay.com. The initial reason I was given for this (a slight delay in sync time between search summary and the shipping and payments tab). 

I've escalated this again and will update you as I hear back - I'm sorry that this is proving to be such a headache! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 23 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Thanks. Keep me posted. I keep thinking I find the common thread in this and then it goes all wonky, the only thing I do know for sure is it's wrong and potential buyers can see it's wrong. At least some of them are passing because of it so it's not a minor inconvenience.

It’s not a sync time issue. Listings I’ve had up for weeks that have never been revised still have the issue. I’m glad you found other accounts with the issue because I haven’t been able to find one so I was assuming it was a setting on my account. But it’s definitely messed up.

I'm anxiously waiting a fix. Thanks again for the update I appreciate it.

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

Hi tyler@ebay it's my weekly check in on this issue. Any update?

It's still having a negative impact on me and no one has been able to provide any meaningful update at all. 

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Hi @ericsells75 - I have an update on this! 

It looks like it's a confirmed bug and a solution is being worked on. I do not have an estimated time of resolution at this point. But it is an issue, it is a priority, and it is something they're working to address. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 26 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay First - I do want to say Thanks for continuing to reply. I hope you will keep me updated.

I'll just wait I guess. It's a little disappointing to see something like this take so long.

To be honest I've come across a number of bugs that I am surprised are there - Is there a proper format to report them?

Things like links from ebay.ca taking you to ebay.com instead of keeping you on ebay.ca. Options in site preferences that go nowhere or endless loop on the login, etc..

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Hi @ericsells75 - happy to help where I can!

For links that route to .com instead of .ca get those to me in this thread (or start a new one) and I can get those reported, they're usually pretty responsive. 

Site preferences will be more difficult to get a response with, but I can also report those too. 

Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 28 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay Ok - thanks.

I'll post the other stuff separately as I get the steps 🙂

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

Thanks @ericsells75  - I'll keep an eye out for your tag.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 30 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @ericsells75 - I got confirmation as of this morning that the technical issue that was the root cause of this massive discrepancy has been corrected. 

Would you be able to review and let me know if you're still seeing this?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 31 of 36
latest reply

Hello tyler@ebay - By all accounts, yes, this seems to be resolved now. 

Thank you.

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Actually it's closer but there are still some items with $5 difference between summary and details. 

Like this one:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Amazon-Echo-3rd-Generation-With-Alexa-New-Sealed-in-Box/193587471095?hash=it...

But the detail screen is actually correct now - it matches up with Canada Post so I'm good. But, I'd say you still have an issue with the summary screen calculation. 

Summary 13.51, Detail 18.01 - Canada Post 18.01

I'd wager they fixed the issue at the detailed listing level, but not the search summary screen. And most listings are pretty close now so this appears to be more of anomaly vs. consistent so I think they need to fix it, but it's not really that urgent to me anymore since the majority/biggest portion of the issue has been resolved.

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Just to put a bow on this one and wrap it up. It IS fixed. Basically any new listing I created after you said it was fixed is accurate. The discrepancies I still see are for older listings. So the fix was not retroactive - that's fine I can deal with that. 

Anyway, this is done now. Thanks.

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time to review and confirm @ericsells75 - I appreciate you getting me the detail needed to convince the right folks that something was wrong!

If I understand their notes and shop talk (I'm not that technical), this happened because of a hyphen in the post code. The detailed page was coded properly to read a hyphenated post code, but the search summary table was reading the hyphen and interpreting that as a totally different area. 

That has been resolved and should not be an issue going forward. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 35 of 36
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Thanks - sounds reasonable. I actually tried manipulating the postal code on the item, in my account, etc.. because I noticed a space in some and others no space. I don't ever recall seeing a hyphen but it certainly could have been hidden somewhere. 

I'm just glad its finally fixed. 🙂

Message 36 of 36
latest reply