Sold Items Statistics - Sold By Shipping Region or Actual Customers?

So I think I understand how the search for sold items works, but I just wanted some input. It probably wouldn't hurt if tyler@ebay  added a few thoughts.

I'm doing some research on a new product I would like to offer, and have researched listings but am not sure if I'm 100% on the nose as far as the results.

If I understand the results, showing sold items only shows items that ship to your location but does not indicate whether the final buyer was in Canada or the US. 

Some products can be region specific, and I may do a test run to see if there is interest, but was wondering if there was a way to specify the actual location of the buyers who bought items shown under sold.

The search for sold items is probably the most powerful marketing tool eBay has and I would love to see it enhanced.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The sold record on eBay shows sales as they occur, day-by-day...... with the most recent sales to the top of the sold page.   The number of sales shown are based on the total number of days shown,  with the maximum at 90 days, or about 3 months...

For me.....A record of sales is kept on a spreadsheet.....

---  my sales are coded in relation to Canada versus the US

--- Sales to Canadian buyers are coded  based on tax...  I am registered to collect GST/HST

(1) GST provinces...  MB, SK, AB and BC  with QC added  and Yukon and the NWT... with few sales to QC, YK and NWT

(2) ON  with HST = 13 %

(3) the Atlantic provinces... NL, NB, NS PE....with HST = 15 %.... with few sales to this region of Canada.

about 25 to 30 % of sales to the US.

Most of my Canadian sales are to the western provinces ... MB, SK, AB and BC  and also ON..

Population density is a major factor  with respect to location of sales... both US and Canada.

and then... what I sell and the topic covered....  in books about Canadian history.... plus a few other topics

-----

When a search is for sold items..... on eBay ...  the search result is for all items sold  regardless of the location of the seller... or the buyer.  This result is a good indicator of whether  a seller's item will sell and at what price....

-----

Buyer's perception of a seller  .....what  is sold ... and how an item is listed ... are also  factors to consider....

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

There is no way to figure out where a buyer was located  when looking at other sellers sold items.

Keep in mind that the sold results are not necessarily accurate because of the way multi quantity  listings are shown.   A  listing with multi sales will generally only show up once on the sellers' sold page and the only way to see if more than one item was sold ) is to click on the listing itself.  There may be exceptions to this but that's how my listings seem to work.

I doubt that they will be bringing any enhancements to the sold/buyer info.  But if they are planning on doing something like that it will probably be shown on Terrapeak, not ebay itself.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

There is always the Growth tab info that is available from the Seller Hub's Overview page. The ebay.ca version is of no use but the ebay.com Hub contains some info regarding the sales history of both new and used products. Some categories have better information than others, usefulness is very product dependant. I have always assumed that is where the Terapeak data was destined fo end up.
https://www.ebay.com/sh/grw/sourcing-guidance

Overview - Growth Tab - Sourcing Guidance
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @retroman_studios - @pjcdn2005 is right that there is not currently a way to dive into buyer's location on a 'sold' search. 

To @kawartha-ephemera's suggestion, I absolutely agree that the sourcing guidance tool on .com is one of the best things that has been done in years to get you meaningful input on eBay trends by category and item specific. With the addition of Terapeak coming in the near future I'm hopeful that this will continue to become more helpful. 

Sourcing Guidance isn't available for .ca at this point in time, but at least on .com you can get an idea for how items sell on .com with an average seasonality and price to help you out!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 5
latest reply