Sold authentic pokemon cards but seller is claiming fake for a refund

Hi All,

I recently sold a sealed sleeved pokemon booster pack that is an authentic product. Its authentic as it is sealed and in all my experience and experts experience there has never been a fake sleeved bosoter pack sold. I also know its real as it was purchased from GAMESTOP an authorized retailer years ago.

The buyer has left me negative feedback calling this a scam and that the cards are fake when indeed they are not.

I send my pack in and all photos to the pokemon forums and they made me aware of a scam where a buyer will claim they are fake just to get a refund.  Apparently even if I send a return label and he sends me back the cards they are already opened and will be returned to me despite being real and ebay will reimburse them. Or They will not even ask for them to send and just reimburse them. This has been a common scamming trend from buyers that I have been seeing posted everywhere.

Any advise on what I can do to avoid this from happening to me as I believe this is what is goingto happen.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Did the buyer actually request a return or refund?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hello,

Apologies you are dealing with this.

I used to deal in packs of baseball cards but got out of it because I had a couple return cases with the reason "does not seem authentic".  This is code for I didn't get the cards I was looking for.  In my case it was a 1990 pack of Upper Deck Baseball Cards with the find the Reggie Jackson auto inserts.  I suspect this customer didn't get his auto insert and therefore opened up a return.  Pack came from a BBCE sealed box so I know it was legit.  Since my pack of cards was only $4 I closed out the return with a refund as it wasn't worth my time or extra money to get the pack back which I assume was all common cards anyways.

In your case have the customer open up a return.  Chances are they have done this before so make them atleast jump through some hoops.  The fact that they left the negative feedback first tells me they are hoping that you just auto refund with out logging the return.  If the pack was expensive then send them a return lable .  If its not worth your time like my example above then atleast make them open the return before refunding.  

All the best

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I had someone recently claiming a $70 card i sold was fake. Jumped to open a case asking for a refund and saying he knew at 100% the card was fake. It was a vintage card and he compared the back with another, to 'proove' how color was off. I instantly noticed he used a modern card to compare. I explained precisly why it was authentic and kinda scare him by saying the case would be reported and all. I'm not sure if it was a scam attempt or someone lacking knowledge, it was very shady, but he ended closing the case. 

For your situation i would do similar. I would explain why it's authentic and i would tell em to open a return. I would add that the content of the order needs to be entirely shipped back and that the case would be reported and revised by eBay since it's a suspicious case (just to scare them a bit). Most scam attempts give up at this step if your answer is professional but scare them enough at the same time. Accept return and provide label if he open return. If they return i'm not sure at this step. I would contact eBay once returned. Since the item is returned in different condition, usually you don't need to fully refund in those cases. I also read stories where eBay refund both buyer and seller, and take the loss for a scam. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

No refunds without return.

Even if you have to pay for the return shipping.

And if your buyer is in the US, he may be thinking a Canadian cannot buy USPS return shipping labels, but we can through Shippo (and likely other companies).

Also.

If you win the Claim, that feedback can be removed.

And in any case, FB is not used by eBay to assess member accounts.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply