Something for tracking number lovers ......

We have discussed here the importance of the tracking numbers. Here a nice example of  a tracking number. I shipped the item to ... Mauritius!  No need to add, of course I have no idea the buyer got the item or not .....  ENJOY! 

Image9.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@38e_avenue wrote:

We have discussed here the importance of the tracking numbers. Here a nice example of  a tracking number. I shipped the item to ... Mauritius!  No need to add, of course I have no idea the buyer got the item or not .....  ENJOY! 

Image9.jpg

The countries this works for is extremely random, but soooo awesome when it does. Now if only the UK, majority of EU and Australia could get on that page....

-Lotz

-Lotz

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

So it went to the USA after five days.

USPS had a fantod.(Jamaica is the city in NY, not the country.) (Obviously. Sorry)

It bounced around the States for 20 days.

Then to Germany.

Then to the Czech Republic.

Sigh.

At least it is getting nearer the Indian Ocean.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

What  Shipping method  and Service is used ?

Thank you

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

The last one I had that was small packet tracked went to Cyprus. From Calgary to Jamaica, NY in approx 5 days. Sat for awhile and then went on to Cyprus. Customs held onto it for over a week before they got ahold of customer. They needed a copy of customs docs in buyers hands . Buyer got item with no taxes added. Total transit time was 2.5 weeks.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Cyprus is in Europe though.
Mauritius is just off the coast of Africa.

Still it was (pre-pandemic) a popular European vacation spot, so there should be air connections.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

So it went to the USA after five days.

No, the next day. I removed about 50-70 lines, so there might be some inconsistency - the "original" looks like a real horror ...... 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@pansy19 wrote:

What  Shipping method  and Service is used ?

Thank you

USPS First-Class Package International Service, shipped from Montreal by ChitChats. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@reallynicestamps 

The last one I had that was small packet tracked went to Cyprus. From Calgary to Jamaica, NY in approx 5 days. Sat for awhile and then went on to Cyprus. Customs held onto it for over a week before they got ahold of customer. They needed a copy of customs docs in buyers hands . Buyer got item with no taxes added. Total transit time was 2.5 weeks.

-Lotz

Recently had a customer from Greece. His item was held by Greek Customs for 6 months (not an error: SIXT MONTHS). 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

A buyer sent a payment from Germany. The recommended letter went to Kuwait, then to Canada. Canada is written in German as "Kanada". 

I also purchased some stuff from a German lady. She shipped the package to Montreal in Vereinigte Staaten (USA). Fortunately, some smart US postmen forwarded the item to Montreal - Canada. 

I am afraid our horror stories and weird tracking may discourage our new and young sellers. Please do not worry, it doesn't happen everyday. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I'm using APC for a lot of my overseas shipments, basically is USPS IPA (loosely disguised). I see this type of tracking fairly often in the Covid period.

The packages wander around the US visiting many USPS ISC (international Service Centers) trying to get on a flight out of the US, this is why you see Jamaica NY, then Chicago, then Miami with sometimes Nashville, Atlanta and San Francisco sometimes with repeats.

When the package finally gets on a flight it is often makes a first stop in an abnormal country followed by more abnormal countries before finally getting on a flight to the actual destination.

Usually what is happening is that at some point it's loaded into a (aircraft) shipping container or pallet and as the container moves around the tracking will follow until they finally find an aircraft they can load it on and get it started moving to the  final destination.

All my APC shipments start out in Jamaica NY, pre-Covid they would depart from JFK in NY but with the capacity issues they will often take the tour of ISC's until they fly out but now they are on flights to locations that were not the normal.

I recall one in January that was going to Australia, normally these would leave the US via San Francisco and go direct to Oz but I've seen some end up in Miami, fly to Europe ( London usually) then hop skip and jump their way to Tokyo before heading to Australia (this was during the period that USPS was no longer accepting (normal) packages for Australia).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I have a rule (yeah, sometimes I break it): DO NOT CHECK YOU TRACKING NUMBERS, EVER!

Do ONLY, (ONLY!) if the buyer contacts you with that famous "where is my item" question. 

Seriously!  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@38e_avenue wrote:

I have a rule (yeah, sometimes I break it): DO NOT CHECK YOU TRACKING NUMBERS, EVER!

Do ONLY, (ONLY!) if the buyer contacts you with that famous "where is my item" question. 

Seriously!  

I support that rule.....BUT!!!!!!!!

I've been involved in logistics and international shipping (both import and export) for over 40 years and at one time considered getting into the business. Because of that I'm still in the habit of getting an undestanding of how freight moves around the world. One thing that was obvious was that the direct movement of goods that regular people expect is NOT the way it works.

Back in the day I was importing from Europe, 2 or 3 shipments per week from the UK to Toronto. Most would fly on British Airways flights direct from Heathrow to Toronto but there were times when in order to reduce the costs shipments would travel London,  Oslo, New York, Toronto or other much longer (but still cheaper) routes (the length of the route rarely affected the actual transit time.

In the shipping business it's ALL about "capacity utilization" just as it is with passenger traffic by air.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

My rule was created mainly to avoid UNNECESSARY stress caused by that weird routes .... 

I shipped 20 years without any tracking - and I slept BETTER. 

Concerning capacity: I ordered stuff from UK, the seller insisted I pay for the air parcel. I chose the sea, 6-10 weeks delivery, because I was not in rush. I got the parcel 3 days later. I needed to send a photo to the seller, because he didn't believe. They simply found some free place in an express air container, or so ....  

Message 14 of 14
latest reply