US Shipping ( customs forms/importing fees)

eyerave
Community Member
Hi everyone, thanks for everyone's previous help with questions I have had and my apologies I haven't had the time to thank the people who helped me with questions I had but here it goes again.

Still learning how to properly sell on eBay and have expanded to selling from Canada to the United States Market and Internationally - the questions I have for right now are more for sending to the United States rather than International but I'm sure the answers will go hand and hand.

I'm wondering about Importing fees - my product is classified under sunglasses and is Made In China - Tariff/HS code 9004.10

- is it my responsibility to look into and state importing fees to my buyers?

- is my buyer going to be disappointed when they receive the product and might have to pay a couple dollars? ( I mean a couple $2-$6 I assume ) - my product sells for $20 online.

- does the buyer pay the importing fees if any? Or the seller?

- how does the buyer pay these fees? When the postman drops off the package? They dont release it untill fees are paid? What if the sender gives his mailbox # and not house address will they have to take time out of their day and drive to the nearest office and pay the fees before release?

Any help is appreciated on this topic, advice is always appreciated.

Also- I know I tend to overthink everything and I mean everything - but I really am wanting to get the eBay business going and bad feedback for customs delays etc is the last thing I'm wanting but as for the Customs form CN-22 are there any major things I have to watch out for? Obviously, dont lie about price so customer pays less duties etc.... Mark as gift and so on I know all that stuff and wouldn't attempt it. But when filling out the form do I for example just put

(1) sunglasses - Made in China

My product also comes with (2) AAA+ batteries do I have to state that and the value of the two AAA batteries? and the country of origin on the CN-22 form? I assume so?

Does my amount have to be perfect down to the exact cent? $20.09 or is $20.00 fine?

If anyone knows if AAA+ batteries can be sent from Canada to the United States input and shipping procedures would be appreciated.

I realize all of this I could simply phone Canada Post in the morning and do some research and find out instead of wasting everyone's time but I figured who better to ask than the ones who actually have first hand experience and as we all know some of us are often more helpful than employees themselves on information.

Appreciate all the help and opinions and I look forward to hearing some responses. Thanks so much!!!!
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It is time to do a lot of searching and reading on websites..

Canada Post

US Postal Service

US Customs

restrictions on what can and cannot be mailed.... batteries....

Before I started selling on eBay... it was over two months of reading, and learning.... and I continue to read  looking for answers to questions.

It is best for you to find these answers,  because there will be more.... questions

Learning to find the answers on your own will help in the long run....  

Find the answers and you will know where to get answers to other questions

Also look up on eBay  with respect to customs  and other topics...  under customer support...

and then perhaps understand that eBay Canada can be different than eBay US...

A seller's responsibility is to list it...  sell it... mail it... and that alone is a pile of rules and regulations....

and as you read you will find that out of everything you have indicated  the only thing you will really have to worry about is the batteries and whether they can be mailed... or not...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Americans can import up to $200 without having to worry about duty.

The buyer/importer is responsible for knowing his own country's import policies.

The importer pays duty on imports.

You should match the selling price and the customs value. So yes to $20.09.

If the batteries are part of the purchase, they are part of the purchase price. They should not be listed or valued separately.

So no problem with exporting Chinese made products from Canada.

But.

Are you dropshipping from China? There is something going on with China and batteries. I don't know the details but apparently China is stopping batteries being exported at their border.

If you have the items in your hands this will not be a problem. There is no problem with shipping batteries from Canada to the USA.

If you got a wholesale order of 10 or more pairs of your $20USD  product, then you should alert your US customer that he may be charged duty or tax on arrival . He pays the postie or at the post office.

Everybody's makin' a fuss.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Lithium Batteries  can be a problem.... deemed to be dangerous....

Google....

Shipping lithium batteries

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

eyerave wrote:

Hi everyone, thanks for everyone's previous help with questions I have had and my apologies I haven't had the time to thank the people who helped me with questions I had but here it goes again.

Still learning how to properly sell on eBay and have expanded to selling from Canada to the United States Market and Internationally - the questions I have for right now are more for sending to the United States rather than International but I'm sure the answers will go hand and hand.

I'm wondering about Importing fees - my product is classified under sunglasses and is Made In China - Tariff/HS code 9004.10

You don't need to write the tariff code when you're filling up the CN22. 

- is it my responsibility to look into and state importing fees to my buyers?

No, buyers are responsible for knowing their own customs laws, but I warn them just the same. You can use this from eBay:

International Buyers – Please Note: 

Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility.
Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying.

- is my buyer going to be disappointed when they receive the product and might have to pay a couple dollars? ( I mean a couple $2-$6 I assume ) - my product sells for $20 online.

Some buyers get upset when they're charged customs fees, but your US buyers won't have to pay duty if the item is under US$200.

- does the buyer pay the importing fees if any? Or the seller?

The buyer is the importer, so he pays any fees related to importing the item.

- how does the buyer pay these fees? When the postman drops off the package? They dont release it untill fees are paid? What if the sender gives his mailbox # and not house address will they have to take time out of their day and drive to the nearest office and pay the fees before release?

I guess it varies per country?

Any help is appreciated on this topic, advice is always appreciated.

Also- I know I tend to overthink everything and I mean everything - but I really am wanting to get the eBay business going and bad feedback for customs delays etc is the last thing I'm wanting but as for the Customs form CN-22 are there any major things I have to watch out for? Obviously, dont lie about price so customer pays less duties etc.... Mark as gift and so on I know all that stuff and wouldn't attempt it. But when filling out the form do I for example just put

Maybe I misunderstood, but don't mark it as a gift. And if your main market is the US, it wouldn't make sense to mark it as a gift.

(1) sunglasses - Made in China

My product also comes with (2) AAA+ batteries do I have to state that and the value of the two AAA batteries? and the country of origin on the CN-22 form? I assume so?

Does my amount have to be perfect down to the exact cent? $20.09 or is $20.00 fine?

On the CN22, I'd put electronic toy and $20.

If anyone knows if AAA+ batteries can be sent from Canada to the United States input and shipping procedures would be appreciated.

If they're inside the sunglasses, yes. If I were you, I'd use light/small packet.

I realize all of this I could simply phone Canada Post in the morning and do some research and find out instead of wasting everyone's time but I figured who better to ask than the ones who actually have first hand experience and as we all know some of us are often more helpful than employees themselves on information.

Appreciate all the help and opinions and I look forward to hearing some responses. Thanks so much!!!!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply