Variable shopping cost based on value of item sold

Hello,

I'm 90% sure this isn't an option but im hoping i could get soem suggestions on what to do.

I have a listing made with a lot of variations but i keep getting hung up on what do for for shipping. I used fixed rate as i know what it cost to shipped items and it never changes. the value of items goes form $2 to $50 and i want to have the option for the buyer to add additional items to their cart but as the value goes to the shipping option would change.

So is there a way to base the shipping price offered to the buyer based on the value of the items?

ay sugestions would be  great as well.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Variable shopping cost based on value of item sold

byto253
Community Member

I don't think so.  I see that you have shipping set at " Contact the seller and request a shipping method to your location.".

I would suggest adding some specific information on costs in the description.  Such as:

- Cards under $x may be shipping by lettermail in Canada for $y,  and $z for the US.  

- Cards with a total value of over $X are shipped by tracked parcel service, which will be in the range of $Y in Canada and $Z for the US. 

I think that without some idea what shipping will be a lot of people will not bother asking for a specific quote.   And for low value cards they may just buy without contacting you. 

Another option is to split the cards in to 2 listings, one for lettermail and another for tracked. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Variable shopping cost based on value of item sold

I used fixed rate as i know what it cost to shipped items and it never changes.

Well, that's not actually true.

With the possible exception of LetterRates*, the cost of shipping varies with the dimensions, weight, and destination of the shipment as well as the service you use.

My suggestion would be to move from Flat Rate Shipping to Calculated.

For the $2 items** do use Flat Rate if they are under 2cm/500 gr but include the shipping cost in the cost of the item.

Which is cheaper a $2 item with $1.30 shipping or a $3.35 item with Free Shipping ?

(Or a $3.49 item but that's a different discussion)

You can set Flat Rate shippping for Canada, for USA, and for Overseas.

If you get multiple purchases, your ten $3.35 cards give you $13.00 for shipping.

And don't look too closely at each transaction.

At the end of the month, look at the postage you purchased and compare it to the postage you charged.

Within Canada you can still used Flat Rate for more valuable cards, but using Registered Mail. This will add $9.50 to your shipping cost. Do NOT use Registration outside of Canada, as it will not be tracked.

For USA  I use Free Shipping on my LetterRate items, including my shipping cost in the purchase price.

For Overseas, Free Shipping is not a good idea, but you can look at the cost to ship to Europe and Australia (the most likely destinations) subtract your already included North American shipping and add a Flat Rate that makes up the difference.

*Because: Oversize Letter

** And I would be one of the many sellers who believe that it is not worth selling any item valued under $10.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply