*Why* are these infernal "Add Recommended Items Specifics" repopulating?!

We have been dealing with these for *months*. On TWO separate occaisions, we spent approximately 20 man hours going through *every* listing with these "reccommendations", and selecting "do not remind me about these again". Yet today, we have over 400 showing again, ALL of which were previously marked as "do not remind me again"! Ebay, you need to do something about this BS. Either make these reccommended item specifics mandatory on listing creation, or give sellers the option to either opt out of these notifications, or to mass mark listings as "do not remind me". Having to do these one at a time is *degrading* and insulting.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Apparently someone set up the sportscard category in such a way that it is impossible to sell sportscards.

There have been several recent posts about this,some of which report having found work arounds.

The problem(s) are known to Tyler and came up in the Wednesday Chat.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

We only have a handful of sports cards. The issue is the way Ebay handles these in general. *Every* other editable field in a listing can be done in bulk, *except* marking these as "do not remind me about these reccomended item specifics again". That is absolutely unacceptable. I am *not* budgeting for another 40 hours of labor to clear these twice again.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You're not alone and there have been several complaints about this recently here and on dotCOM.

Bad programming.

It has apparently been reported to the tech team in hopes they will get off their badonkadonks and fix it.

tyler@ebay 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

A simple solution

Don't even look at the Recommended ones and just take care of the Required Soon and Required ones. Once those are taken care of there is no need to even think about the "recommmended" ones.

If you have trouble ignoring them try removing that column from the grid or move it off to the far right so it isn't so obvious.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@cardconnoisseurs wrote:

We have been dealing with these for *months*. On TWO separate occaisions, we spent approximately 20 man hours going through *every* listing with these "reccommendations", and selecting "do not remind me about these again". Yet today, we have over 400 showing again, ALL of which were previously marked as "do not remind me again"! Ebay, you need to do something about this BS. Either make these reccommended item specifics mandatory on listing creation, or give sellers the option to either opt out of these notifications, or to mass mark listings as "do not remind me". Having to do these one at a time is *degrading* and insulting.

Quick heads up.

They are "tinkering" with books......Again!!! Stop already!!

=Lotz

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

In attempting to create a listing for a vintage item, circa late 90ies. The only 2 options available are New with box and New Without box. No manual choices.  There are currently a quantity of listings available for similar and variations of the item I am trying to list. In checking the available options on left hand side of page those are the 2 choices available with 91 listings for New with Box. 41 showing New without Box.I didn't proof those 132 listings but difficult to imagine the condition noted was 100% accurate for all those listings. How many other categories is this happening to??

This brings up the concern of the possiblility creating/updating listings and having them arrive for a buyer as NAD'd because of a technicality based on inaccurate available choices and sellers "winging it". For anyone that creates a variety of listings on a day to day basis you will run up against this at nauseum. Constant tem specific updates cause more harm than good. Kinda like trying to update the Internet....In a weekend after binge drinking!!!

-Lotz

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

This brings up the concern of the possiblility creating/updating listings and having them arrive for a buyer as NAD'd because of a technicality based on inaccurate available choices and sellers "winging it". For anyone that creates a variety of listings on a day to day basis you will run up against this at nauseum. Constant tem specific updates cause more harm than good. Kinda like trying to update the Internet....In a weekend after binge drinking!!!

-Lotz

Mea culpa. As a habit now, I'm clicking the "Add Item Specifications" link almost immediately after newly listing an item...just to catch any divergences between the SYI form and Item Spec fields. Of course, that practice only works until  it doesn't...

Some days I think I should change my Seller ID to best_fit_specs.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@doc_scribe 

It hasn't been a backwards compatible system from its implementation. I routinely create followed by update for almost every new listing I make. I've had listings where it has been a major challenge to find the missing required/suggested specific field(s). I've even had listings when creating that have shown 100% meter that there were missing fields after sending to eBay. Huh???

-Lotz

Can I change my name to Lotzofuniquegoodieslookingforneedleinahaystackitemspecificsuntilheadacheistoomuchtobearanditstimetotakeabreak? For once I would like to give the eBay bots a headache!!! And for what its worth best_fit_specifics is NOT taken but not sure how many buyers would get the meaning!!!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@doc_scribe 

And for what its worth best_fit_specifics is NOT taken but not sure how many buyers would get the meaning!!!

...at least as many who understand the picayune distinctions of "Cinematic Movement".  ;^)

And BTW, why do those "Cinematic Movement" selections keep auto-porting to my "Features" field? Weird just gets weirder...

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@cardconnoisseurs wrote:

Hi!

I experienced issues due to different sets of Item specifics connected to different ebay categories and the use of my ebay templates. With the deletion of categories and tranfers to new ones sometimes the entries into IT s can be omitted within the new placement of the item. Changing to the more popular category helped but I am also changing old templates. Using "Sell Similar" from an older listing also seemed to cause Item Specific anomolies.

Is that how you spell "anomolies? 🙂 I should ask Spock... That's a word only heard when watching old re runs of Star Trek!

Then there is human error. A couple times after a lot of entries I hit "Enter" instead of the Ebay required "Save". The Ebay "Save" button can be your biggest enemy should you neglect to bat it down when done.  Sometimes Ebay lets you back up a screen but not often. Same thing when creating a listing description.... Never hit the "Back Button" or it's back allright.. tback

I wouldn't worry too much. Amazon will buy Google next year and change the entire search process by adding virtual smells, sounds, touch sensitivity and taste to Item Specifics. You will need to add those futuristic Virtual Product Identifiers (VPIs).  The good news, because there is no more adult category,  is that no virtual Erotic Item Specifics (EISs) will be needed on Ebay... Not sure how anyone would measure, record and input those anyway! Would love to hear your ideas!

;>}

IT

Message 11 of 11
latest reply