hava eutions become a thing of the past

seems like auction format have become something people are not interested in anymore any input to this out there?some items seem good but im wondering if buy it now or best offer is better or no best offer?what do you think?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The trend for the last twelve years has been towards fixed price listings, away from auction style listings.

Currently more than 85% of all listings on eBay are at fixed price.  This is not only eBay, that is what online shoppers want: the ability to buy and pay for something quickly.

Now, some items may sell better at auction and there is still a market for auction style listings. 

However, the  20th century novelty of "auctions on line" is ... oh well..... last century.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Basically yes, but since eBay made its name as an auction site, most new sellers think of it that way.

And since eBay is one of very very few generalist auction sites, they are probably going to keep them just to differentiate themselves.

In a few categories it may even make sense for a seller, but they would have to be things like Prince memorabilia. A short hot spate of collecting by unsophisticated buyers then a dead category.

Get in, make your money, get out, don'tlook back

Going against auctions?

• Short timespan- usually only seven days to be found by potential customer
  • Long timespan- does not appeal to impulse phone shopper
  • Long timespan - bidders may move on, bid on more than one auction, or just forget they bid.
  • Fury when the high bidder wins- we really see this most when the high bidder was sniping.
  • Misunderstanding of the automatic bidding process.

Auctions can be useful though.

The last one I held was in a category where longtime collectors will have a Search enabled. I got multiple bids and sold for five times what I would have been content with.

Knowing what the customer would be like made all those negatives above unimportant since none would affect that kind of bidder.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply