is the shipping calculator correct?

I'm using "calculate shipping" on the revise my listing page, and its showing crazy costs for shipping to N and S America, like hundreds of dollars for expresspost internationally. meanwhile for United states it's showing blank. this can't be right. is canada post not shipping to the US or something? how do I know what people from other countries are seeing when they look at my listing? if they see hundreds of dollars of shipping fees or blank for US they obviously wont be interested. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I looked at one of your listings (Black Widow)......

For Canada you only offer Xpresspost,  it would be less if you offered Expedited. Thnis is a lower method but given the current state of Canada Post it might not make much difference especially if it's a relatively close destination.

For the US I see Tracked Packet, seems expensive! Consider using Expedited USA instead.

For all other countries you have not entered any shipping information. This means in many cases buyers outside of the US & Canada won't even see your listings, won't buy because no shipping is specified or buy but will be unable to pay because no shipping is specified. If you want your items to be available for overseas buyers you need to set a shipping charge.

Just had a look at your other listing, it looks better (Expedited for Canada & US) but still no rates for overseas.

If you are seeing a really high rate make sure you didn't select Priority International, this is a very expensive service which is actually FedEx.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

it seems for some countries such as in south america theres only xpress and priority at least for tracked. for example to ship my black widow to chile by express it costs $141, if I do small packet international air its $64 buy no tracking. is that a normal price? seems really expensive

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I also checked out the OP's black widow listing, eBay must still be picking and choosing which service they show the shopper. I was shown CP Expedited to my Ontario address and CP Expedited USA to Los Angeles. Both were more expensive than they should be at 22+ and near 36. Maybe the shipping dimensions are out of whack.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

i put the dimensions as 16 in x 10in x 6

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@chengda85 wrote:

When you list on dot ca you should be inputting your measurements in metric.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Is that the size of box you will using?  Expedited shipping uses dimensional weight so a smaller box may cost less to ship.  

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

yeah that is the smallest box i could find that fits, it is slightly larger than the product box. still shipping to south america costs like $141 for expresspost?! (someone asked me how much to ship to chile) wow how do people sell to other countries

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@chengda85 wrote:

When you list on dot ca you should be inputting your measurements in metric.

-Lotz

You may also want to check the following link for service disruptions to certain countries:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/our-company/news-and-media/service-alerts.page

and this link for any special requirements for customs:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/wtz/business/displaySpecialRequirements?execu...

-Lotz

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If you got that rate on the Canada post site that sounds about right.  It would be slightly less if you print your label on eBay.  To figure out that rate, enter the information on the CP calculator then click on 'show min. online savings' which is on the blue line just above the rates.  
https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s3

Some international mail is quite slow right now so I don't know if I would be comfortable sending something that expensive outside of Canada or the US.  Plus since it appears that you haven't sold here in a while you might want to limit where you ship to for now.  It's up to you of course.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

how do I print my label on ebay?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

When you go to the International Shipping section, you can choose Custom Destination.

Then choose USA.

Then once more choose Custom Destination.

Then choose the countries on the list you want to ship to.

Do NOT choose North and South America, which will over ride the lower USA rate.

Then choose Will Ship Worldwide. Those customers will have to contact you for rates.

South American countries will be about the same as Brazil.

And then choose Exclude Shipping Locations . Countries (or even continents) you exclude will not even see your listings.

And yes, South America is expensive to ship to.

OTOH, the chances of selling there are very small. I've been here since 1998 and I don't think in over 15,000 transactions I've ever shipped to Central America, South America, or the Caribbean.
Shipped to Guam once -- but that comes under USA.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply