Is the shipping calculator out of whack for Canadians?

I carefully checked shipping costs to several international locations before listing my item. The costs, according to the Canada Post website, were between $18 for shipping within the country to between $47 and $57 for shipping to the U.S.A. or internationally.

So, I nearly had a heart attack when my listing automatically came up with over $100 as a shipping cost, even though I entered the correct shipping method, parcel size, and weight in that part of the listing.

Why such a big difference? I've written my shipping estimates into my listing because I don't want to frighten off buyers, but I think they won't even bother to read the listing if they see a cost of $101 before they even click on it.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

That is a concern.

First, were you using metric measurements? Canada Post went metric in 1974 and any other will give interesting results.

Which service were you using? I've had parcels cost under $10 for the cheapest rate but over $100 for Priority Post.

Could you give us the dimensions you used, the service chosen and the postal codes for yourself and your customer? (You can use your city hall code if you don't want to use your own and just the state or nation for your customer. No need to be too precise on this.)

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I've written my shipping estimates into my listing because I don't want to frighten off buyers,

I wouldn't do that.

The Calculated Shipping rate will either be fine or not.

You can if you wish use Flat Rate Shipping and move part of the shipping cost into the asking price of the item.

(That's basically how Free Shipping works. The shipping is part of the asking.)

However.

Do you realize that you are willing to ship anywhere in the world? Including Burkino Faso, Kyrgysztan, or Bolivia?

As a new seller you may want to change that to only Canada and the USA. Wait until you are no longer subject to the Paypal 21 Day Hold before you even venture into Europe.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Yes, of course I was using metric measurements. I'm Canadian!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I'm not a new seller, I've been on eBay for several years now. I've just never encountered this problem before.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@nuliajuk3 wrote:

Yes, of course I was using metric measurements. I'm Canadian!

Two things.  

1)  You'd be surprised how many Canadian sellers have been here for ages and ages and still run into problems because they keep using the old imperial system.  Canada Post even offers the choice but if we don't use metric we can get a bad result. 

2)  You may have a real problem that needs to be sorted out.  I wonder if it would be OK to post your question to the seller board because so many sellers never read anything else but they might also have the same problem.  

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/bd-p/213

I checked your listing on the American eBay and if you really only charge about $30CAD to ship, this is what I saw:

laptop bag.jpg

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

For your U.S.E.D. laptop bag/briefcase

I see about $18 to my Canada location, $56 to California, and contact seller for your other country locations.

You should not offer International surface -- it takes too long to arrive with eBay's Item-Not-Received deadlines.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Using your dimensions (rounded up to 31 x 24 x 14 cm), the dimensional weight for USA or Int'l is in the 2-2.5kg range. Expedited in Canada would be in the 1.5-2 kg price range. I'd see if a slightly smaller box could be used to drop the dimensional weight under 2kg (31 x 24 x 13 would work).

Dimensional weight adjustment length x width x depth in cm divided by 5000 (for out of country and Priority in Canada) or divided by 6000 for regular/Expedited parcel in Canada. Highest of actual weight or dimensional weight is charged.

For the UK the Canada Post calculator returns (assuming actual weight is under 2kg):

First value is the over-the-counter rate, red rate is minimum discount if buying online through Canada Post.

Small Packet (surface) and International parcel (surface) -- as tempting as these prices are -- skip, delivery times will be slow enough to make you wide open to INR (Item-Not-Received) claims on eBay.

Small Packet (air) - $58.20 $56.19

(no tracking, no insurance, dimensional weight does not apply, max weight 2kg)

Tracked Packet (air) - $77.89 $69.76

(tracked, $100 insurance, variable fuel surcharge included, no dimensional weight, max actual 2kg)

Xpresspost - $99.82 $92.86

(tracked, $100 insurance, variable fuel surcharge included, extra insurance available)

Priority - $178.25 $167.56

(tracked, $100 insurance, variable fuel surcharge included, extra insurance available)

-..-

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Using your dimensions (rounded up to 31 x 24 x 14 cm), the dimensional weight for USA or Int'l is in the 2-2.5kg range. I'd see if a slightly smaller box could be used to drop the dimensional weight under 2kg (31 x 24 x 13 would work).

Xpresspost - $99.82 $92.86

Priority - $178.25 $167.56

Same item to UK in a slightly smaller box (assuming actual weight is under 2kg):

Xpresspost - $89.26 $83.03 savings of around $10

Priority - $161.64 $151.95 savings of around $16

-..-

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hi!

If you send your package by Expedited parcel is always going to be very expensive.

You have to send it by tracked package which is great if you need tracking. 

If you don't need tracking, send your package with small packets by air.

This shipping method is very good if you are selling something that doesn't have a great value. Like that laptop your are selling for $29, if I am not mistaken.

Small packets to the Usa rarely get lost and arrive most of the times in one week. The same time as Expedited parcels. 

Avoid shipping by ground because it takes a bit more of time for your packs to be received. Also, a package has more chance to be lost if it travels by ground.

I want also to tell you, in the case of the laptop you were selling, that you should not include the bag. The weight is going to be so much more if you include it....unless it is a light bag, like some laptop cases made of sponge and fabric.

If you put the laptop in a cardboard box (not from canada post because they are very expensive), and protect it very well with bubble wrap inside and out and put it inside a bubble envelope, well tight, it's going to work really well .

You need to pack your items the best way possible and the cheapest way too. For you and your buyers.

Don't tell your buyers a lot of stuff about the shipping or about other things in the item's description. That put buyers away. I am a buyer too and when I see sellers with a long list of issues and demands, I go crazy and go someplace else. Be as concise as possible.

Never forget to use the shipping calculator! Ever! And with the correct shipping methods. You can add several at same time. Tell your buyers on the additional information for checkout  window, that they can choose the shipping method they prefer, with tracking or without. Tell them that if they prefer without tracking, it's their choice and you can not be responsible if the package is lost. Also that the packages rarely get lost and ask them to verify their address.

Not using well the shipping calculator and not offering your buyers the opportunity to check the real shipping cost, makes buyers think that you are a seller that doesn't care, therefore a bad seller. which is true in my opinion..Many americans do this. Buyers just pass these listings. 

I hope I could help you.

Bye bye!

Lia

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@thetrashcurator wrote:

Hi!

If you send your package by Expedited parcel is always going to be very expensive.

You have to send it by tracked package which is great if you need tracking. 

If you don't need tracking, send your package with small packets by air.

This shipping method is very good if you are selling something that doesn't have a great value. Like that laptop your are selling for $29, if I am not mistaken.

Small packets to the Usa rarely get lost and arrive most of the times in one week. The same time as Expedited parcels. 

Avoid shipping by ground because it takes a bit more of time for your packs to be received. Also, a package has more chance to be lost if it travels by ground.

I want also to tell you, in the case of the laptop you were selling, that you should not include the bag. The weight is going to be so much more if you include it....unless it is a light bag, like some laptop cases made of sponge and fabric.

If you put the laptop in a cardboard box (not from canada post because they are very expensive), and protect it very well with bubble wrap inside and out and put it inside a bubble envelope, well tight, it's going to work really well .

You need to pack your items the best way possible and the cheapest way too. For you and your buyers.

Don't tell your buyers a lot of stuff about the shipping or about other things in the item's description. That put buyers away. I am a buyer too and when I see sellers with a long list of issues and demands, I go crazy and go someplace else. Be as concise as possible.

Never forget to use the shipping calculator! Ever! And with the correct shipping methods. You can add several at same time. Tell your buyers on the additional information for checkout  window, that they can choose the shipping method they prefer, with tracking or without. Tell them that if they prefer without tracking, it's their choice and you can not be responsible if the package is lost. Also that the packages rarely get lost and ask them to verify their address.

Not using well the shipping calculator and not offering your buyers the opportunity to check the real shipping cost, makes buyers think that you are a seller that doesn't care, therefore a bad seller. which is true in my opinion..Many americans do this. Buyers just pass these listings. 

I hope I could help you.

Bye bye!

Lia

The suggestion that a seller is not responsible if an untracked package is lost is not a good one since it is not true. A seller might lose potential sales by including it in the description. A scammer might see an opportunity to use that information to make a false Item Not Received claim. Best to say nothing at all.

As for offering multiple shipping options in a listing, for most items I would offer just one method that the seller chooses based on what risks the seller will accept. Most buyers will choose the lowest cost shipping option. Lower value item I would ship untracked to keep costs down. I would assume that an untracked package will eventually have an INR claim (real or scam) and build into the item price so called cookie jar insurance for the loss. Higher value items I would used a tracked service for proof of delivery as well as the built in insurance or additional insurance from Canada Post or third party insurance if needed.

Good post. Nice to read other sellers ideas and thoughts. Great for discussions and thoughts on Selling on eBay. Helps new sellers to learn. Helps old sellers rethink their methods. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 12
latest reply