Requirements for International Mail Canada Post 2021

A quick read: Changes to U.S. and international shipping – Here’s what you need to know

Online:

Customs forms can already be managed online for all your international packages. With Canada Post, it’s a simple matter of completing an online form (Link Below) to generate a barcode you can bring to any post office location. Whether you’ve printed the barcode or saved it to your mobile device, once the clerk scans it, all customs information surrounding your shipment will be automatically sent to border officials before your parcel is shipped!

As of January 1, 2021, any barcoded items where the customs data has not been transmitted in advance may be refused entry to the foreign destination.

Shipping at scale?

If you’re shipping worldwide on a regular basis, manually filling out every customs form is inefficient.

Streamline the process by completing customs forms with Snap Ship. Complete forms within the tool to streamline your processes, print labels and schedule pick-ups from one dashboard.

Don’t miss important information!

To ship internationally within the postal network, you need to provide the following information on your customs form:

• The address of origin
  • The destination address
  • The number of items being shipped
  • Item descriptions
  • The weight of your items
  • Total value of the items

The country of origin, or where the product was manufactured, and the harmonized system (HS) code are both optional. Keep in mind that the information criteria may be different if you choose to ship with a commercial shipping company, such as UPS or FedEx.

When completing your customs form, be sure to provide as much detail as possible regarding the contents of your shipments to help facilitate the inspections process and get orders to your customers as efficiently as possible. Understanding the customs process and preparing your orders carefully will open up a world possibilities for your business!

https://www.canadapost.ca/blogs/business/shipping/changes-to-u-s-and-international-shipping-heres-wh...

Online Form Link:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/cdc?execution=e1s1

-Lotz

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are no changes for those printing at home. I believe that is clarified in the original post.

-Lotz

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

General question ...

What does that mean for those who buy their labels online?  That information should already be on the international label so do we have to do anything else?   

if a package is put into an outside mail box and not scanned at an outlet, will that info be transferred as soon as that label is scanned at the sorting center or elsewhere?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

General question ...

What does that mean for those who buy their labels online?  That information should already be on the international label so do we have to do anything else?   

if a package is put into an outside mail box and not scanned at an outlet, will that info be transferred as soon as that label is scanned at the sorting center or elsewhere?

You can still process online(Shippo/PayPal/SnapShip) and print as you normally do and attach before arriving at the post office. If you prepare at the counter package will require the barcode label to be printed at time of drop off. That can be generated from the online form and sent to your phone. Clerk can scan and print for you.

All part of phasing out CN022 manual form that people were using.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

completing an online form (Link Below) to generate a barcode you can bring to any post office location.

AH! I was in a post office today and was asked about that which confused me even more than usual.

Thanks for the clarification.

The country of origin, or where the product was manufactured, and the harmonized system (HS) code are both optional.

The HS code can be useful is masking what is being sent. Understood by customs officers but not by other carriers.

I'm surprised the place of manufacture is optional, especially in this era of Free Trade and of trade wars.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

General question ...

You can still process online(Shippo/PayPal/SnapShip) and print as you normally do and attach before arriving at the post office. If you prepare at the counter package will require the barcode label to be printed at time of drop off. That can be generated from the online form and sent to your phone. Clerk can scan and print for you.

All part of phasing out CN022 manual form that people were using.

-Lotz

Sorry,  I'm still not clear.

It's always been my impression that since  this new system is simply to replace the manual form, there should be no changes for those who print their labels online as those labels already have customs info.    Is that correct? 

If the answer is yes, sellers who print their labels online can continue on as they always done, that's all that I need to know. 🙂

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

There are no changes for those printing at home. I believe that is clarified in the original post.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I pay postage with stamps-- note ID name-- and the manual label is easy to deal with since I keep a supply at home.

But can I generate a customs label if I am not making a label? If the customs info is dependent on a shipping label, that would double my postage cost.

I recognize that this is an unusual situation, but I also sell postage to other eBay sellers who might have a similar problem.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I pay postage with stamps-- note ID name-- and the manual label is easy to deal with since I keep a supply at home.

But can I generate a customs label if I am not making a label? If the customs info is dependent on a shipping label, that would double my postage cost.

I recognize that this is an unusual situation, but I also sell postage to other eBay sellers who might have a similar problem.

Yes, it's definitely going to be a major change for anyone used to the CN22 forms or does not own a cell phone or a printer. Why I've always printed with a printer. Not really a good work around if the only way is to limit your customers to Canada only.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

-Lotz

I really wouldn't have asked again if the answer was clear to me in the other post.  

But thank you clarifying it for me now. 🙂  I hate being confused especially if everyone else understands!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Yes you can generate a customs label online when you are using stamps.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/cdc?execution=e1s1

Just out of curiosity, were you using the manual custom form even if you were sending the purchase via letter mail?  If you would rather not say, that's fine.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

-Lotz

I really wouldn't have asked again if the answer was clear to me in the other post.  

But thank you clarifying it for me now. 🙂  I hate being confused especially if everyone else understands!

I get confused every time I try to read the fine print of a new special offer or update from eBay. But have a feeling I am not alone.  Maybe why I have the urge to wine_glass

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply