Adding extra insurance and signature to shipping label

I do not see how this can be done when I go to the "get shipping label" page. Comments on this topic from the past seem to be a few years old. My item is a bit more expensive than usual ( over the $100 mark ) and I wanted to add more insurance. Thanks to anyone for your help. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

marnotom!
Community Member

I'm wondering what shipping/mailing method you're using.  Canada Post doesn't offer insurance above and beyond $100 for tracked packets, for instance.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

I'm wondering what shipping/mailing method you're using.  Canada Post doesn't offer insurance above and beyond $100 for tracked packets, for instance.

@marnotom! 

@martiqefinds 

From my testing the problem is more with eBay Labels. It does not appear the option to add more insurance (with ebay labels) if an order is above 100 dollars and you are using Expedited or Xpresspost. Haven't had to to test so far with eBay Labels. If you test the eBay Calculator with discounted rates there is no option to even add in extra insurance. Not an issue using the CP Calculator,Snap Ship or Shippo. There can be situations where something sells for 1 amount but might be worth more than what it sold for. Some sellers may choose to insure for personal protection. eBay Labels WILL NOT let you over ride the insurance from my testing.

In speaking to CP today because eBay owns the account it is extremely difficult to even file a claim for lost, late or damaged or even check on charges after the fact. (Called because I got 1. There was zippo for an explanation. Only the charge and the wb number it applied to.)  Voids are possible but can and usually do take the full 21 days to process handled through eBay. (With Shippo/Net Parcel/Snap Ship) its your SSB account so not a problem and takes 7 to 10 business days. 

-Lotz

CP Flow:       Canada                                               

lotzofuniquegoodies_4-1711429533571.png

eBay Labels: Canada

lotzofuniquegoodies_3-1711428831063.png

CP  Flow - USA

lotzofuniquegoodies_6-1711429819415.png

Ebay Labels - USA

No extra options at bottom. Unable to upgrade insurance or pay for signature if applicable. This is all you see when choosing.

lotzofuniquegoodies_7-1711429969902.png

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Which shipping service are you trying to use?

If it is Expedited Lite you cannot purchase more than $100.00

If it is Expedited Parcel within Canada then you can...

Again, which service are you trying to purchase the extra insurance for?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@brettjet38 

@martiqefinds 

devon@ebay 

See post 3. Screenshot 3.  Not possible to add additional insurance over 100. It appears eBay Labels never thought doing that as a required possibility when the tool was released. Maybe you can on dot com. Haven't tested. 

-Lotz

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Sounds like it is a matter of just taking a chance that the parcel gets through without a problem. I realy have not had any issues with Canada post. I'll upgrade from simple "tracking" and home it is handled responsibly. 

Thank you all for your responces.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@martiqefinds wrote:

Sounds like it is a matter of just taking a chance that the parcel gets through without a problem. I realy have not had any issues with Canada post. I'll upgrade from simple "tracking" and home it is handled responsibly. 

Thank you all for your responces.

@martiqefinds 

If you did want to include added not available features you could purchase postage at a postal outlet or using snap ship. You would not have access to anything beyond level 1 discounts(with a SSB account). But you would have peace of mind. As per eBay anything over 750.00 requires signature service.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/signature-confirmation-policy?id=5154

-Lotz

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Signature Confirmation is demanded by eBay to win Claims on items over $750 .

But since it is cheap ($1.50 at the moment I believe) I find it useful on lower value items too.

Some adult has to sign for the package, making sketchy buyers wary of making a Claim.

The shipment probably goes to the PO where it is secure not left on a stoop for porch pirates.

It is wise if you are using SC to let the customer know, selling it as "for the buyer's protection".  It is (see above reasons) and an honest buyer will appreciate your effort.

If you are insuring ask yourself why? And what does the insurance cover?

If you are shipping regularly you may find a third party insurer works better than Canada Post.

We use Hugh Wood International which originated to insure collectors and collectibles. They are the insurers for the American Philatelic Society, including their (mailed) circuit books.

However HWI sells annual policies.

If you also do trade shows and /or have a B&M shop, HWI is well worth investigating.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply