Why can't US buyers see an automatic shipping estimate on my listings?

Hey everyone! New seller here, so I hope I'm doing whole question posting thing right.

It seems that US buyers aren't able to see a shipping estimate on my listings.

I have gotten a handful of questions from potential US buyers asking me to estimate the shipping cost to their zip code. I have all the dimensions and weight entered for all my items, and have selected Canada Post US tracked packet as the shipping method (had Light Packet US, and International Parcel Ground as well, and had the same issues).

A US customer who purchased something from me said that she was prompted before checkout to contact me for the shipping quote. She said something along the lines of "I am only messaging you because it says I have to before I can checkout". That is an extra step that could seriously deter buyers, right?

I have called ebay customer support telephone line, but the lady I spoke with was not able to resolve my issue. She said she would call me back, but never did. I later got an email response from her simply stating that I need to select international shipping in my listings, which I made clear to her on the phone that I had already done. Sorry, I don't mean to rant, but that was a frustrating phone call!

I now have my listings set to ship to North America, and have selected standard domestic shipping, and US tracked packet, and buyers outside of North America can contact me for a shipping estimate. 

BUT, after thinking that I may have figured it out, I got another shipping estimate question from a US buyer again today. 

Am I justifiably frustrated here? Or is this usually how it is? I certainly don't mind at all giving a personal estimate to anyone who requests it, but buyers should have an estimate readily available to them without having to contact me if they don't want to, right?

Any advice??

-Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The lululemon hoodie that just sold doesn't have a shipping cost showing to the US and neither does the Soia and Kyo coat. On all of the other items I do see a shipping cost to the US so I am going to guess that those two are the items that you have gotten question about.

Generally if their is no shipping cost showing either the wrong dimensions were entered for that particular service or the wrong service was entered. For example, you mentioned international ground...anything that says international is for outside of the US and Canada. Any service that ships to the US will specify the US. 

If you used expedited parcel USA, then the problem might be your dimensions as the minimum dimensions for that service are larger than for parcel within Canada.

The minimum dimensions for expedited parcels within Canada are 10cm x 7cm x 1 mm  

The minimum dimensions for USA expedited parcel are 21 x 14 x 0.5 CM

Tracked packet USA and small packet USA allow smaller packages -140 mm x 90 mm x 1 mm  Maximum 1 kg

If that info doesn't help please give the dimensions, weight and service that you have set up for each of those items and perhaps someone can help.   If you know how to show a screen shot of the shipping portion of your listing, that might help to.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

mcrlmn
Community Member

You can use the info you provided in the listing, under the 'Shipping and payments' tab.

The estimated number of business days for delivery + handling time.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The lululemon hoodie that just sold doesn't have a shipping cost showing to the US and neither does the Soia and Kyo coat. On all of the other items I do see a shipping cost to the US so I am going to guess that those two are the items that you have gotten question about.

Generally if their is no shipping cost showing either the wrong dimensions were entered for that particular service or the wrong service was entered. For example, you mentioned international ground...anything that says international is for outside of the US and Canada. Any service that ships to the US will specify the US. 

If you used expedited parcel USA, then the problem might be your dimensions as the minimum dimensions for that service are larger than for parcel within Canada.

The minimum dimensions for expedited parcels within Canada are 10cm x 7cm x 1 mm  

The minimum dimensions for USA expedited parcel are 21 x 14 x 0.5 CM

Tracked packet USA and small packet USA allow smaller packages -140 mm x 90 mm x 1 mm  Maximum 1 kg

If that info doesn't help please give the dimensions, weight and service that you have set up for each of those items and perhaps someone can help.   If you know how to show a screen shot of the shipping portion of your listing, that might help to.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Since you are a new seller I would recommend only shipping to Canada & the US to start out with. Your listings state that you ship worldwide. Some of your items like coats are too heavy & large to send worldwide & would be very expensive.  Also do not offer surface or ground to anywhere as it can take forever to get there. Only use Small Packet Air or Tracked for smaller items & Expedited for larger. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks so much for your responses everyone! I am so sorry I didn't realize anyone had relied to my question. I didn't receive a notification or anything telling me there were replies.
Your information is very helpful! I realized that I was selecting a method of shipment that would not accomodate the size of some of my items.
I think it should be better now.
Thanks again! And sorry for not noticing your replies.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply