what to do when a buyer refuse to send proof of damaged item

i have a buyer who claims that the item was damaged in transit, and want refund. She is refusing to send me proof of the damage and opened a case against me with ebay. When I contacted ebay, they said that she does not have to send me any proof and that i need to send her a return label within 5 days or they will refund her money which they did put a hold on the money. The post office does not issue a return label and one of ebays supervisors said that that ebay will not issue one either. I have been given the run around from ebay and was wondering if any one has an advise for me?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

We had this same scenario happen to us. 

We immediately told the buyer to file a return request with eBay.

We called eBay and asked for help which they did.

Do all your messaging through eBay.

DON'T get into a discussion with the buyer. 

If she has filed a return request with eBay you ACCEPT the return.

If you don't, you will lose both your money and the item.

If she hasn't filed a return request, ask her to do so, so that you can accept it.

If she doesn't, call eBay and ask them what to do.

You will send her return shipping.

eBay should help you on that.(They sent us all the information how to do this after we accepted the return.)

(We sent funds to the buyer earmarked for return shipping through PayPal equivalent to shipping amount

but there are other ways.)

If she doesn't co-operate call eBay and ask them for help.

When you receive your item back THEN you issue the refund. Not before.

Maybe some Community Members can add some other advice.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I can not help you with your problem however I see you are located in the United States.

You are presently posting on the Canadian eBay discussion boards.

It would probably make more sense to seek assistance on the USA discussion boards.

Click here to visit the eBay US discussion boards      https://community.ebay.com/t5/Discussion-Boards/ct-p/12001?nobounce

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your help, although I did ask eBay to issue the return label and the supervisor that I talked to said that they do not do that and that I have to get it from the post office which the post office said that they do not issue  a return label. I did all my communication with the buyer through eBay, but it seems that she does not care because of the new return policy that eBay has. I have been talking to eBay for the last 12 days and every person I talk to gives me a different answer, that is why I asked for help.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

What country are you in?

What country is the buyer in?

If it is the same country a return label should be easy. You buy a label with the buyer address as the start point and your address as the delivery point.

eBay's must-supply-a-return-label rule becomes stupidity when it is between countries. The best you can usually do is send funds to pay for the return label using the other country's post office website to determine cost. And that requires a buyer who is co-operative.

-..-

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The buyer has opened a Not As Described dispute.

EBay wants you to send him a Return Shipping Label.

IF YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT THE RETURN YOU WILL LOSE THE CASE.

There is a system and you need to work the system.

You are in Canada-- is the buyer in the USA?

• Phone eBay and explain to the clerk exactly that and that a Canada Post return label is not useable in the USA. Expect the get someone unclear on concepts like "Canada" and "soveriegn nation". Ask for a supervisor. And keep asking until someone understands the problem. Pee first, and bring a beverage.
  • Check out Shippo. You may have to register for this if you are not already. We were told by a Shippo representative that a Canadian who registers with them for both Canada Post and USPS.  We haven't had any reports on the success of this yet, but please try it and report back on your results. If it works you will be able to send a Return Shipping Label.

Because the buyer will not send you 'proof of damage' (were you asking for photos?) I agree that this is suspicious behaviour.

Most honest members are happy to provide pictures and save themselves the trouble of packing and taking a parcel of shards to the Post Office.

Best wishes.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your help. I am from USA and the buyer is from Canada. I have been calling ebay since Oct 5th and each person I talk to gives me a different answer. I even asked the supervisor to issue a return label ( her answer to me was that ebay does not issue any return labels ),  because the purchase was for a big amount and I did not want to lose that since the item was insured and I can get my money back. I think the buyer just changed her mind and does not want the item and stared opening cases against me (this is the second one, the first they ruled in my favor) to get her money back.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the info. I am from USA and the buyer from Canada. I asked ebay to issue the return label, but the supervisor told me that ebay do not supply the return label. I have talked to ebay until I am blue in the face. This has been going on since Oct 5th and every person I talked too gave me a different answer.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply