2013 Spring Seller Update

CmtyGuide@ebay.com
Community Member

Discuss the 2013 Spring Seller Updates here!

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/201303191308082.html

-- Edited by raphael@ebay.com at Mar 19, 2013 3:01 PM EDT
eBay Community Guides help you find what you need in eBay Community, but do not offer advice on other eBay features, or engage in conversation. Find out more about eBay Community and how it works here: Community Help Page.
Message 1 of 159
latest reply
158 REPLIES 158

"Well, my fees are going down"

I am glad for you.

I received an email from eBay.,com earlier today stating:

"Great news for you! Based on your recent selling activity, your fees will be 21% lower than they are today!"

Posting rules do not allow me to adequately and candidly answer that message.

Since I retired last year, I only used "free listings" (50 each month plus promotions).  How I can save 21% from FREE considering FVF for auction listings are going up from 9% to 10%.

Bill... Bill... Bill... where are you hiding? 

Message 21 of 159
latest reply

Add-To-Cart feature is currently only available for US based items on ebay.com, are you planning to add it also to ebay.ca and for Canadian items ?

What will be difference between Add To Cart and new 2013 Buy Now where item is not sold until paid ? Isn't one of them becoming redundant ?

Hello dipmicro,

1) Cart is definitely something we've been wanting to bring to Canada, we're working on it but I don't have an ETA for that yet. Just as a precision though, the US Cart will handle any items available on eBay.com, even those listed on eBay.ca.

2) Cart will work the same as it does now under the new BIN rules, with the difference that eligible items will not be secured for the buyer until a payment has been issued.

Message 22 of 159
latest reply

BIN, in my category is going from 9% to 8%. 500 listings is another $25 to me. Basically, I pay no listing fees and my store will end up free with the FVF decrease.

It is all well and good for the "losers" to complain. Please balance that against those that will gain. This time it is my turn.

I have been saying for quite a while that eBay is moving to a free listing model. This is another step. Just railing at today ignores the path to get here, plus where the path is going.

Message 23 of 159
latest reply

"Well, my fees are going down"

I am glad for you.

I received an email from eBay.,com earlier today stating:

"Great news for you! Based on your recent selling activity, your fees will be 21% lower than they are today!"

Posting rules do not allow me to adequately and candidly answer that message.

Since I retired last year, I only used "free listings" (50 each month plus promotions).  How I can save 21% from FREE considering FVF for auction listings are going up from 9% to 10%.

Bill... Bill... Bill... where are you hiding? 

Yep, they could not even be up front about it in the anouncement - tried to bury it in retoric.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 24 of 159
latest reply

Comparison of 2012 vs 2013 fixed price listing fees.

2013 fees highlighted by green (lower) or red (higher).

Selling without store and with Basic store is getting cheaper across board. The new break point between Basic to Premium is 350 items and this point is cheaper after May 2013 than both stores today.

Premium store is getting slightly more expensive almost across the board. Above 1900 items it's cheaper to switch to Anchor, breaking point is around 12000 items now, so this is significant change. Everyone with more than 800 items it going to pay slightly more for listing regardless if they stay in Premium or switch to Anchor. However, this will be offset by 2% lower FVF.

Overall, I think the fixed listing fees changes are positive, rewarding sellers and increasing cost to spammers. Auctions have extreme reduction in listing fee (unless you are selling $0.99 items) and are big questionmark at this point.

Message 25 of 159
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

fp FVF are going mostly down from the low tier rate, but its flat now with no big drop off at higher prices

Message 26 of 159
latest reply

fp FVF are going mostly down from the low tier rate, but its flat now with no big drop off at higher prices

And that is a huge cash grab.

Message 27 of 159
latest reply

Questions

It looks like there are not any changes in standards for top rated sellers on .com or .ca...is that correct?

To confirm...If we go from a monthly store subscription to a yearly one..we will still be paying month by month..not a year ahead of time....right?

It's interesting that for basic and premium store our monthly fee goes up unless we get a yearly subscription but the anchor store monthly rate goes down by $100 even if staying on a month to month subscription.

Feeback will be removed if the seller wins a claim but the claim has to have been filed on ebay, not paypal.  So my question is...when can a claim be filed on ebay? I think that the buyer has to actually purchase it while on the .com site? But does it matter which site the item was originally listed on or which site the buyer or seller is registered on?

Message 28 of 159
latest reply

Here is my math - I sell a radio for $1000.00

The old FVF would be - $48.85

The new FVF will be $100.00

Someone needs to tell me how an increase of over 50% will be good for sellers.

Message 29 of 159
latest reply

100% agree with Pierre's post #8.

What doesn new policy means ? When I'm going through sellers listings and buying an item ,-I hav eto run a pay right now,otherwise  I can loose it,if there is another bauye just behind me.

Isn't stupid ? Yes it's a correct word.

Yesterday bought 3 postcards with but it now option it took me few min to go through sellers new listings.Paid in 10-15 min after receiving an invoice.

With new policy I have to pay for each auction immediately which is takes ome time as well.sample  I have to pay 3 times for s/h.

Sometimes buyer can buy 5-10-15 items,so with new policy in effect buyer has to pay quick for each item ot rake a chance to loose to other buyer.

It is not  a smart policy to say at least.X-(

Message 30 of 159
latest reply

I am wondering about the Store Subscription also.

How are going to charged for this yearly subscription ?  In advance, monthly, sign a lease ?

Though some store listings will increase from five cents to ten, the free auctions & store listings will help offset any increase in fees.

Did i read this right, this is the first update of two ?

Message 31 of 159
latest reply

Here is my math - I sell a radio for $1000.00

The old FVF would be - $48.85

The new FVF will be $100.00

Someone needs to tell me how an increase of over 50% will be good for sellers.

Sorry - I forgot to add that in the new system I will save the 50 cent listing fee. My goodnes I am relieve  - now I'm only losing $50.65

Message 32 of 159
latest reply

test

Message 33 of 159
latest reply

Ignore my last test post - computer woes...

Raphael says the non store free listing counts still .ca & .com separately for us, but I beg to differ.

This month I was allowed a total of only 50 free auction listings.  I talked to an eBay rep over the phone and was confirmed that it was only 50 free listings per selling account, no matter what site they were posted on.

So Raphael, what is it - left hand or right hand?

(At first I thought that there was some kind of screw-up with the ZIF auction promotion that occurred during the end of February-beginning of March, but now I am more willing to believe that a new rule has been established)

Message 34 of 159
latest reply

" I talked to an eBay rep over the phone and was confirmed that it was only 50 free listings per selling account, no matter what site they were posted on."

I think that rep gave you the wrong answer.  Most likely someone in the Phillippines having no idea where Canada is. 😞

I have been listing auctions on both eBay.ca and eBay.com and have received free listings on both

If you click on "Selling Manager" you will see how many "free listings" have been used on each site and how many "free listings" are remaining.

Message 35 of 159
latest reply

I am in complete agreement with Pierre re leaving an item available for sale until final payment is made.  Sorry, but YIKES, this is a recipe for bad customer relations. 

"If sellers are willing to wait 2, 4, 7 or whatever number of days for payment from the buyer (many still pay by mail), eBay should NOT automatically override that policy."

Absolutely!  If, as a courtesy, I let a buyer pay me in 5 days, the item should be "sold" and removed as an active listing.  Honestly, if I went into a clothing boutique, asked the owner to hold a dress for me for a day, and she agreed, then sold it to someone else in the meantime, I'd never, ever go back again. 

I think this must already have been in effect -- 2 weeks ago, after going back and forth via the "Offer" system, a buyer accepted my counteroffer.  We were both content with the outcome, and I was happy to wait a day or two to get paid.  When I looked at my store the next morning - OMG! - the item was still shown listed for sale!! 

Luckily the buyer paid the next day before it was snapped up by someone else, but I could see myself having to send a long, apologetic email to my 1st buyer.  How could I possibly have explained this in a way that would be adequate?  Is that the way to build confidence and repeat customers?  This particular functionality is rather scary actually - puts the seller in the position of possibly not being able to follow through with a commitment. It also makes layaway arrangements virtually impossible I would think - no?

Perhaps the shopping cart will solve this problem if it ever comes to eBay.ca? 

Message 36 of 159
latest reply

For example From Selling Manager (at right margin):

Free Auction-style Insertion Fees  50/0
List Auction-style FREE with any start price. Plus add a Buy It Now for FREE.
Start: 02/28/13 21:00:00 PST
End: 03/31/13 21:00:00 PDT

Free Auction-style Insertion Fees   23/27
List Auction-style FREE with any start price. Plus add a Bu...

50/0 = 50 used 0 left

23/27 = 23 used 27 left

Message 37 of 159
latest reply

Questions

It looks like there are not any changes in standards for top rated sellers on .com or .ca...is that correct?

To confirm...If we go from a monthly store subscription to a yearly one..we will still be paying month by month..not a year ahead of time....right?

It's interesting that for basic and premium store our monthly fee goes up unless we get a yearly subscription but the anchor store monthly rate goes down by $100 even if staying on a month to month subscription.

Feeback will be removed if the seller wins a claim but the claim has to have been filed on ebay, not paypal.  So my question is...when can a claim be filed on ebay? I think that the buyer has to actually purchase it while on the .com site? But does it matter which site the item was originally listed on or which site the buyer or seller is registered on?

Hi pjcdn2005,

Correct.

Right, the only difference with a yearly subscription is that you get a lower fee in exchange for the 1 year commitment.

You are right again. Buyers who purchase from eBay.com are protected under eBay Buyer Protection, as opposed to buyers on eBay.ca being covered by the PayPal Purchase Protection. It doesn't matter on which site the listing was created.

Message 38 of 159
latest reply

"Perhaps the shopping cart will solve this problem if it ever comes to eBay.ca? "

Unfortunately, not really.

Shopping cars, all over the internet, suffer from a difficult disease:

Shopping cart abandonment

Take a look: http://baymard.com/lists/cart-abandonment-rate 

The problem is simple: folks start buying "stuff" from one site, put them in the "cart", intend to continue shopping later or compare prices elsewhere and abandon the shopping cart.

In the meantime, an item that could have been sold remains on the seller's shelf. 😞

Message 39 of 159
latest reply

I have a couple of questions please Raphael.  These concern the new  "Business Policies" -

I currently use Auctiva (and have for years).  As you likely know, Auctiva has long had such "boilerplate" for seller policies, terms of sale, etc. 

1)  Do I still need to opt into this eBay change when it comes? 

2)  What happens if I don't opt in once this policy becomes mandatory?

3)  Will "opting in" mess up my listings? (As it stands now, Auctiva's boilerplate goes into the "description" area of eBay listings, so is completely separate, and could conceivably duplicate (or worse - contradict) information in the "Business Policies" area on eBay.

Thanks for any input you might have on this!

Message 40 of 159
latest reply