Advice on responding to an invalid refund request

Hey,
I have a first-time situation and just wanted to get a couple of opinions before responding. I had a buyer purchase an original 1953 Packard sales brochure for $25. I received a wonderfully sarcastic email several days ago from him.

This is too cool. After I pay $30.00 for the Packard brochure, you put the others on ebay for 4.95. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside"

The item he is referencing for $4.95 is NOT mine!

I responded with the following:

"I believe this email may have been sent in error. I do not have any Packard (or any other vintage literature) listed for $4.95. I price my items at what I believe them to be worth. I cannot control the pricing set by others, but I believe that I offer quality items at their fair market value. My pricing is often less than other large literature sellers. I do hope you are satisfied with the brochure and hope to do business again in the future."

He responded: "I don't want the item. I want a refund." after sending another email a day earlier with only the subject line "No I am not happy!"

In the past, I have happily given refunds to buyers where the listing had a significant error, the item was lost or damaged, or where the buyer made a sincere effort to reach a comprimise when their bid was a mistake.

I absolutely do not consider finding a similar item cheaper to be a valid reason for a return, especially when the item was exactly as described, arrived on time, and had a clearly stated shipping cost. I sell low-cost items and my profit margins are extremely thin.

I do not want to issue a refund but am concerned that he may try a chargeback, etc. I do not use tracking numbers to keep shipping costs competitive, so I would lose with Paypal if that were the case. I am less concerned about negative feedback as I have 2000+ 100% positive, but would prefer to avoid that as well.

How would you suggest responding?

Thanks in advance!
Mike.
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Should have proof-read my post!

"The item he is referencing at $4.95 is NOT mine" is my statement, not his 🙂
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Buyer's remorse is not a valid argument although, how you deal with it, is entirely up to you.

If you sent by small package, CP is your protection against chargebacks. If it was sent "light", chalk it up to experience.

Personally, I would not issue a refund at this point. If and when you lose with PP, you are no further behind than acceding to demands now.

Good luck!
Xena
Message 3 of 3
latest reply