Another tool in the war on phishing scams...

treasure-pot
Community Member
PayPal is set to announce that they will officially back the use of a little piece of free software that, when installed, places a small icon next to the email to signify that the sender is genuine. Conversely, lack of the icon may suggest it is fake.

The software from Iconix currently has more than 350 major companies signed on and works with most email programs (including web-based). I tried it this morning and.... dang... the thing works. I did find that it placed the icon next to about 95% of the emails that I have received from eBay and PayPal and have saved. It missed a couple end of auction emails - no problem there. It also seemed to go back as far as Novemeber 2007 to insert the icons.

Iconix can be found here for more info:

http://www.iconix.com/index.php

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

katiusciav
Community Member
what a great idea! until the scammers start creating their own 'fake' icons next to the emails to resemble the genuine ones...
Kat
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Trust Bill to source innovation. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Kat has a valid point but, surely, Iconix must have something "unique" built in? But then, perhaps not...

Xena
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Nice idea,

Now I will start putting a image of my face into all emails so they know its genuine email from me. Thanks.

Sukh
(Dream About Comics)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Thanks.

Sukh
(IComic.ca)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
It's just not the appearance of an icon. If you hover over the icon more info is revealed. PayPal has been testing it for a few months. Their seal of approval should indicate that the technology has some merit and cannot be easily duplicated.

But you are right in many ways Kat. In time the scammers may find a way around it. Until then we have this tool that IMO is worthy of use. It doesn't not mean that we can afford to let our guard completely down.

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

haa haa you're right, i've seen fake emails with the verisign icon on them
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Very cool little trick.

Monique

Message 7 of 7
latest reply