Anyone use HyperWallet?

cmagor-ctvi
Community Member
Some months ago I had a buyer ask if they could pay me using HyperWallet - the Canadian answer to PayPal. Well it was free to sign up, no cost to me to accept the "beamed" cash, so I signed up and that payment went smoothly enough that I figured I would show in my listings that I accept it. The next step was that I figured if I was going that route I had better be prepared to accept credit card payments through them, so I got set up for that too.

Since then, I had just one guy want to pay me through HyperWallet and that was another cash payment which went smoothly. Then about two weeks ago I had two buyers within a day of each other tell me that they wanted to pay me by credit card through HW. I said "fine, go ahead" which was when I learned that I have to go there and issue an invoice for the sale, which is a bit inconvenient, but oh well! Then I get emails from these two people saying that they've paid the invoices, why haven't I emailed to acknowledge receipt? I check my HW account and there's nothing there so I emailed support who advised me that on average it takes them 2 business days to approve credit card payments. Of course these people both paid on a Thursday night, so it was going to be after the weekend before they cleared. Well, some payments must be cleared mighty fast if they average 2 business days because both of these payments took 4 business days, so it's now almost a week since my buyers paid. And another nice little stinger in the email telling me the payments are approved and credited to my account - the funds are frozen for a further 5 business days before I can cash out!

So, what would have given me instant payment through PayPal takes almost 2 weeks with HW. And then there are the fees! Any eBay auction payment is 40cents plus 3.95% (plus GST, although that comes back anyway) which didn't sound a lot different than PayPal, but I compared two identical transactions, each for US$255 plus shipping plus GST and the PayPal charges were $8.53 versus $11.60 with HW (and no, that doesn't include the GST).

Now of course I'm seeing how fast I can pull any reference to HW from my listings! I thought PayPal charges were pretty steep, but man, HW makes 'em look almost reasonable!

Well, I feel better for having unloaded all of that - if you're not accepting HW now, I suggest you stay well away - I know I will be!

Chris.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Anyone use HyperWallet?

deltone
Community Member
HOLY CROW Chris!! I won't being considering them after all that! What a crock "eh". Definitely not worth trying if that's what they put you through. It does make Paypal look pretty good, doesn't it!!! Thanks for the heads up. How are your customers reacting? Are they mad at you? (Even though it's not your fault).
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Anyone use HyperWallet?

cmagor-ctvi
Community Member
Fortunately these are understanding people! In fact one of them is so "Canadian" he's even been apologizing to me for the delay! (I didn't share with them that it was going to be another week after shipping before I can get my money, but I sure would have if they'd been complaining types!

Chris.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Anyone use HyperWallet?

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Hyperwallet is a Joke . It 1 mouth for 2 payments to go threw with credit card . They are based out of Vancouver , the credit card company they use is beamstream.com out of Victoria. It's actually cheaper to open with beamstream.

All I kept getting was excuses
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Anyone use HyperWallet?

ibhuff
Community Member
I have found HyperWallet to be pretty good, as long as you DON'T accept credit card payments. It is cheaper than PayPal to transfer funds, but credit card payments are way higher. Having HyperWallet wont hurt your auctions, but accept the cash only payments or they will annoy the heck out of you. It isnt worth the hassle for the amount of people that use it.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Anyone use HyperWallet?

north-of-55
Community Member
I have used it once, and had a terrible time withdrawing my cash to my account. I bank at a local credit union - which they claimed did not exist. Never again.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply