Are paypal labels still accessible without receiving a payment?

If not, what is the cheapest easiest way to send a small package to the states these days? 

Thanks In Advance

Sent from my Ipod Shuffle
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Not directly. What was known as Paypal ShipNow was discontinued after the ebay/paypal split.

Canada Post Small Packet or Light Packet is the least expensive method of shipping to the USA but it has no tracking or insurance. It is unsuitable for items of value where fast delivery is required. There is no Paypal discount on this over the counter rate at Canada Post anyway. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I've "lifehacked" this when it was a personal matter.

I had my friend send me a penny by PP, then used that 'transaction' to make the discounted shipping label.

But we knew each other. I doubt this would sound kosher to a customer.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I want to send something to a friend for them to inspect it, totally personal... the penny thing i thought about.. is it still doable? What's the easiest way to print a label at home? can i do it from Canada post website these days? should i do the penny thing somehow or other? that would probably still be easiest ... 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

There is no additional discount to be gained by using paypal to send something via Small Packets or Light Packets to the USA.

In my opinion, the 'easiest' way is to take the parcel to the post office since that's where you need to go regardless. Sharpie the address on your cardboard box and go. 

The Label Printing tool on the Canada Post website is not as user friendly as it could be. And it's only Windows Explorer compatible, according to CPC. If you use a Mac or Safari as your browser like I do, it's possible that you will not be able to print the label you have purchased online through CPC directly. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

so nothing has changed... what a joke... thanks for the heads up 🙂 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

There is a way.  Find a transaction that you have already printed out the label for (logged into PayPal), and click the 'Ship Another' button.  You are then able to switch the buyers address.  You ought to be aware however that the original buyer likely gets another email notification.  Hope that this helps! 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

the penny thing i thought about.. is it still doable?

I last did this just after Christmas.

What's the easiest way to print a label at home?

It helps to have a printer.

can i do it from Canada post website these days?

Canada Post has lower discounts than Paypal, but you don't have to worry about the 'penny hack'. Just print the label.

If you use a Mac or Safari as your browser like I do, it's possible that you will not be able to print the label you have purchased online through CPC directly

I haven't had any problems using my iMac to print the CPC shipping labels, although my vocabulary* did get a workout.

I have more problems with the PP ones, although i have a 'hack' on that too.

And as noted, not all services are discounted. For me it was worth it because the discount off the PO counter rate was 17%.

(I could have used postage stamps, of which I have an endless supply at a very very good discount. But DH is a semi-retired stamp dealer and not everyone has that advantage.)

*http://insult.dream40.org/

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@bassox333 wrote:

There is a way.  Find a transaction that you have already printed out the label for (logged into PayPal), and click the 'Ship Another' button.  You are then able to switch the buyers address.  You ought to be aware however that the original buyer likely gets another email notification.  Hope that this helps! 

Absolutely, the buyer gets another email notification. I would avoid this as it could result in unforeseen complications with that buyer.

If you are determined to circumvent the absence of paypal ShipNow, it is a far better idea to ask your friend to send you a couple bucks via paypal to use to buy a label. Then it's all legit.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

There is no additional discount to be gained by using paypal to send something via Small Packets or Light Packets to the USA.

Differences:

* PayPal allows you to pay from paypal balance or credit card.  Canada Post requires credit card

* Canada Post allows stealth postage,  Last changes for paypal do not.

* Paypal is tied to purchases through eBay or PayPal. Canada Post website is not.

* If getting an originate scan for small packet, clerk has to pull up the "commercial" screen when printed through Canada Post.

@mjwl2006 wrote:

The Label Printing tool on the Canada Post website is not as user friendly as it could be. And it's only Windows Explorer compatible, according to CPC. If you use a Mac or Safari as your browser like I do, it's possible that you will not be able to print the label you have purchased online through CPC directly. 

If you manage to struggle through the stupid procedures once, Canada Post EST not that bad to use. Unless you're the type of person who prefers to forget unpleasant memories.

I can get both sites to function for an ancient Firefox 17 browser using Linux. It's ugly but they both cough up a PDF file I can then print (and also store on the computer for record keeping).

-..-

To Original Poster: the shipnow backdoor for Canada Post shipping disappeared when PayPal and eBay split. However, stateside -- USPS shipping is still available for Americans.

-..-

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

You may be right.  We have a person that we send product to about twice a month and since the ShipNow link stopped working, we've been printing out labels the way that I mentioned.  Haven't had a question from any buyers.  Not convinced that PayPal sends out another email to the customer.  But if you're stuck with funds in PayPal being the only way to process a shipment, this is a way to do so. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

What does this mean?

* If getting an originate scan for small packet, clerk has to pull up the "commercial" screen when printed through Canada Post.

What is the purpose of getting an "originate scan" for a Small Packet service? There is no tracking on Small Packet.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Stealth postage means that you ca choose not to show the postage cost on the label.

With the scan you get a receipt which shows that the item  wa actually mailed.  A third party insurer requires proof of shipment if there is a claim and most will accept that receipt as proof.  PayPal may or may not accept it as proof if there is an unauthorized use cc chargeback.  I only get small packet scanned if I plan on insuring it.

note - in order to scan my labels I believe that my post office needs to input it as an originating parcel, not a commercial one.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@dinomitesales wrote:

What does this mean?

What is the purpose of getting an "originate scan" for a Small Packet service? There is no tracking on Small Packet.

Stealth postage means the amount of postage paid is not shown on the label. I do not know which services Canada Post provides this for. Within Canada is possible but outside Canada postage is supposed to be shown because some countries charge duties and value added tax on the declared amount of the item and the postage amount. I think it is supposed to be shown on all international postage worldwide from or to any country.

Original scan even for untracked items might be useful for proof of mailing (not delivery) for third party insurance like Shipsurance or Insurepost which require it for their insurance on Canada Post shipments.

Edit after posting - sniped by PJ

Message 14 of 14
latest reply