August 20th 2014 Weekly Board Hour

Hello Canadian eBayers,

Today's session will start at 1 pm Eastern, as usual. Please feel free to go ahead and start posting at your earliest convenience. See you soon!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
A comment and a question.

Unless the seller contests a nad claim, it's my understanding that ebay will not investigate the claim. Perhaps you are keeping track of how many nad claims a buyer makes but if I happen to be the first or second seller that they've made a claim with and they go on to make another dozen claims...I would already be out the money or the item so those safeguarding methods only work with a 'serial' abuser and even then, I'm not sure that they always work.

But because our non resolved claim limit is so low, many sellers are going to hesitate to challenge the claim in case they lose even if they are convinced that they are in the right. The low limit seems to be ebay's way of  stopping seller's from fighting claims.

According to our data, buyers who act maliciously and do such things as complaining that an item is not as described when it is, in fact, as described, don't do so just once. They usually show the same malice in pretty much everything they do and don't stay on eBay very long. so, even if our detection methods rely on repeat offenses, they do work and that has been proven time and again.

Also keep in mind that sellers usually have a fair warning on their Seller Dashboard if there are issues that threaten to push them below the acceptable performance standard. Fighting undue reports of transaction issues is very important if we're going to both be able to protect good sellers and punish buyers who abuse the system.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
The question - Once a seller goes over the .3% of non resolved claims are they automatically a below average seller (or worse) or is there a minimum number allowed? For example, if a seller has 200 sales/year, (200 sales x .3% = .6)  are they allowed to lose just 1 non resolved claim before there are sanctions or is there a minimum of 2?  If there is a minimum, do the sanctions start once they reach that number or not until they go over the minimum?

As far as I know, there is a minimum of claims a seller can hit if their sales level is too low for the percentage to make sense. Can't remember what that minimum is off the top of my head, but your Seller Dashboard has that info I think. As far as sanctions go, there are some more serious cases where they may be immediate but for the most part they are applied at the next evaluation, at the 20th of each month.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Thank you for answering the question about international claims.

I don't understand though why duty/tax is brought into the equation at all since as discussed previously, the buyer can claim back the duty/tax from their own government. A seller should not be charged duty/tax on a return since the item originated in that country.

I didn't mean to say that the seller would be charged duty or tax for a return shipment, but since a return shipment may incur such charges, it needs to not be ignored and be part of our policy somehow. Hope this makes my last post more clear 🙂

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@gctks wrote:

Can you provide more information on how we can prevent item not as described claims or at least tell us the historic percentage of these claims that are adjudicated in either the seller`s or buyer`s favor?  We cannot gauge the risk(s) we are running, specifically due to Item Not As Described claims without this information.

The best way to prevent claims of items not as described is to accurately describe your items 🙂 Sorry for stating the obvious but this is really all there is. If you do that, you don't need to be worried that buyers falsely claiming they receive items not as described from you will put you out of business.

Lastly, and as I repeatedly stated to you in emails and on here, the data you are requesting around historical claims data is not publicly available and we will not share it. 

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@gctks wrote:
We cannot afford how ebay is taking care of us. If ebay does not believe a seller when they say an item was as described, why would they believe a report made after a judgement has been rendered in the buyer`s favor?

Returns and forced refunds on items reported as not as described are already a reality potentially impacting any item sold to buyers who shop on eBay.com, yet millions of sellers, mostly from the US but also a large number of Canadians, still manage to stay in business. We are confident that this new rule will not change that.

If sellers focus on providing the best possible service and products to their buyers, they will continue to make their business.

I understand what you are saying but I'm also sure that there are cases when a buyer isn't happy with an item because the color isn't the same as there monitor showed or because the size they ordered was too small or because they didn't like a movie and for many other reasons that were not the fault of the seller. I am sure that those buyers often do not request a return because they did not want to pay for return shipping. Once the rules change, there are definitely going to be buyers who will use nad as a reason for returning even when the reason really is buyer's remorse. Time will tell how often this will happen but I do suspect that in some of the more fraud prone categories, this will be a real problem.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Lots of questions from me this week 🙂

The new .ca user agreement states:

Cross-Border Trade. We updated this section to underscore that for eligible listings for which you have not previously specified an international shipping option, buyers from select countries may be shown an international shipping option

Does this mean that there are definite plans to implement a gsp like program in Canada? If not, what does it mean?

Hi pjcdn2005, 

Straight from the User Agreement:

"Many of our sites, Services, applications and tools may be accessible to international sellers and buyers. We may offer certain programs, tools, and site experiences of particular interest to international sellers and buyers, such as estimated local currency conversion and international shipping calculation tools.

Some eBay members may reside outside of Canada and some may not speak English or French as a primary language. To assist users who may speak different languages, whenever automated translation solutions are available, you direct us, to use automated tools to translate your eBay content (including your listings), in whole or in part, into local languages and, when using an eBay site as a buyer, to provide you with access to translated content. As a buyer, you may also have access to tools which will enable you to translate content as requested.  The accuracy or availability of translations is not guaranteed.

In some cases, you may be able to sell your items internationally by listing items for sale directly on one or more of eBay’s international sites. Additionally, you may direct us to display your listing on eBay sites other than the original eBay listing site, including those situations where you choose to list items with an international shipping option (such as worldwide shipping), but acknowledge that the appearance of your listings on these sites is not guaranteed. However, you may restrict international buyers from purchasing your items if you explicitly exclude international shipping from your listings and apply an exclusion list to your listings. If your item is sold to a buyer on an eBay site other than your eBay site of registration, you agree to be subject to that other site's policies and the terms and conditions in eBay's International Selling Agreement. You are responsible for complying with all laws and regulations applicable to the sale and shipment of items to international buyers."

Ryanne

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

We can only assume it`s shameful.  If not, how could disclosing it be of any consequnce.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"The best way to explain this is to use today's example. You're a Canadian seller listing on eBay.ca, but your buyer made his purchase on eBay.com. This means that if there are any issues with the item or transaction, the buyer is protected under the eBay Money Back Guarantee as it is currently in place on the US site, with all the rules implicated in that program."

OK let's go with your example.

A Canadian buyer purchase an item on eBay.com (as many Canadians do) from a Canadian seller listing in US$

The item is not as described

eBay.com rules apply.

The item was sent by mail with the seller using postage stamps, not PayPal.

eBay orders the seller to refund return postage to buyer.

How exactly would that work?  Can a seller refund more than the original amount of the transaction through PayPal? and how much postage and what specific CP service would the seller have to pay ?

Hi Pierre, good to see you 🙂

When eBay forces a return and puts a seller on the hook for the return shipping cost, we either ask the seller to arrange this with the buyer, or we provide a return label to the buyer and charge that label back to the seller. If the seller and buyer arrange the return between themselves, how the shipping is purchased or how money for shipping is provided is up to them.

When it comes to what specific CP service to use, that is part of what details are still being ironed out.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

This concludes this week's Board Hour. Thanks for participating and see you next week!

Message 28 of 28
latest reply