Benefits of using Xpresspost?

I have a rather expensive (over $300) item that will need to be shipped.  Normally I would use Expedited to get it to the customer (in the U.S.) quickly but at reasonable cost.  However, because it's somewhat delicate -- not breakable -- I'm considering Xpresspost as I don't want it roughly handled for too long in transit.  

In this instance, the delivery time for Xpresspost and for Expedited is roughly the same -- 4 to 5 days.  I've always had great results with Expedited to the U.S., but here's my question:  Does anyone really know whether the physical handling is somehow different between the two services, i.e. are Xpresspost parcels any more likely to be (somewhat) more carefully handled in a different stream from all the rest of the boxes going by Expedited to the U.S.?  Or do they get thrown into the mountains of other regular parcels just like everything else?  

The price difference is ca. $20, so I'd be grateful for any information sellers might have in this regard (not assumptions, but anyone who might know something about CP's processes). 

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Heya Rose,

happy that i can offer some info as you have always been so kind with offering up answers to questions.

I looked into this some time ago and the "official" response from Canada Post is that regardless of what mode you ship via the handling is basically identical. The real difference, top to bottom, is how long something sits around before being processed, shipped etc. between Expedited and ExpressPost there will be no difference whatsoever in the "physical" treatment of your package.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

thd

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Double box the item if it is fragile.

You will have a larger shipping cost because the box is bigger and Expedited Parcel will charge more because of the larger size and extra weight.  The extra $20 you would pay for Xpresspost would cover the increased cost to double box the fragile item and ship by Expedited Parcel.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@treasure.hunter.d wrote:

Heya Rose,

happy that i can offer some info as you have always been so kind with offering up answers to questions.

I looked into this some time ago and the "official" response from Canada Post is that regardless of what mode you ship via the handling is basically identical. The real difference, top to bottom, is how long something sits around before being processed, shipped etc. between Expedited and ExpressPost there will be no difference whatsoever in the "physical" treatment of your package.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

thd

Yes, this does help a lot, and was more or less what I suspected, thank you!  

I think I'll take 'poco's' advice, with a bit of alteration, and wrap a lot more tissue paper and airbags around the item than I normally would, but send it via Expedited.  It's a fine quality satin gown with a lot of beading, so I didn't want it tossed around too much or for too long, as agitation might dislodge some of the embellishment.  

Thanks to you both! 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I was advised, by a real CP employee, to put fragile stickers on items that are. Why? If anything is damaged, that is proof that it should have been handled better.

As an aside, tissue paper? Not bubble wrap? Bubble wrap is lighter and "snugs" better. Bubble wrap adds firmness to the box.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
I was advised, by a real CP employee, to put fragile stickers on items that are. Why? If anything is damaged, that is proof that it should have been handled better.

As an aside, tissue paper? Not bubble wrap? Bubble wrap is lighter and "snugs" better. Bubble wrap adds firmness to the box.

I used to think that as well but as the attached photo shows it makes no difference to the post how well you mark fragile. As a rule all of my packages are marked like that. A few pennies worth of "Fragile" tape and no postal goofball can dispute I did everything in my power to make it obvious that the parcel was fragile.As can be seen in the second photo the tin did not survive whatever was done to the package.So much for the lovely Queen Elizabeth cookie tin that my customer was so excited about.

tin_photo_1b.jpg

tin_photo_2.jpg

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Hi Mr. E. - Yes, I was thinking of asking for a "Fragile" sticker or two to put on the box. 

I know you ship car parts, but with evening gowns of silk satin, tissue paper is necessary to keep them from creasing or rubbing against the inside of the box.  Bubble wrap just compresses everything and creates wrinkles.  It's a fine line with these items between squishing them to protect them and causing them to look awful when they arrive, or packing them with lots of light, fluffy tissue to hope they'll basically "float" in the box and come out looking like they were just purchased from a B&M boutique store.  

Not that you're likely ever going to need this information, but what I usually do with fine garments is carefully wrap them completely but loosely in tissue paper, then gently and loosely roll them up, wrap them loosely again, place the whole contraption into a sealed plastic bag, then surround it on all sides with either more tissue paper (scrunched up), and/or air bags - nothing with any weight of its own.  The wrapping and rolling is an old trick I learned from a stewardess friend long ago to avoid wrinkling garments.  Usually I'm told by my customers that the garments pop out of the box with nary a crease -- ahhhhh!! 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Treasure, I agree with the lousiness of the end result, however, marking it fragile protects you in the event of needing to make a claim.

That looks like something fell on it. Sometimes, stuff falls. I have only ever had one incident of something arriving broken. One in 9000!

All ya can ever do, is, the best you can do.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I thought I'd post this so you can all look in wonder at how the "big guys" do their packing.  

This is a Dior dress commissioned by the ROM, and is basically the way I pack my expensive evening gowns (it's fun to watch the thing emerge out of the mountain of tissue paper): 

http://www.rom.on.ca/en/collections-research/rom-channel/opening-the-dior

P.S. If the link doesn't work automatically, you may have to copy and paste into your browser - sorry, I'm using a rather stupid old PC at the moment. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Rose, I agree with rolling up your garments. I travel back and forth to AB a few times a year and I always roll my clothes, never fold them, and they come out of my bag with very few creases. Plus, I do think they take up less space that way. They pack tighter and don't move around in the bag.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Xpresspost USA

(1) Guaranteed delivery.....  If tracking shows that the parcel was received after the guaranteed dat...  the sender will get the cost of postage as a refund.

(2) Fully insured

(3) Signature confirmation is included in the cost of this Canada Post option...The person that receives the parcel must sign for it....

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Xpresspost USA

(1) Guaranteed delivery.....  If tracking shows that the parcel was received after the guaranteed dat...  the sender will get the cost of postage as a refund.

(2) Fully insured

(3) Signature confirmation is included in the cost of this Canada Post option...The person that receives the parcel must sign for it....

Yes, these are the reasons I sometimes opt for Xpresspost for valuable articles as long as the cost isn't outrageous.  However, in this instance the size of the box and the weight (over 1.5kg) made it a more difficult decision, in addition to the fact that I am already "subsidizing" the buyer's shipping costs -- I agreed to charge no more than $27 US, silly me. 

In any event, I finally decided to send it Expedited, with full insurance coverage (which I paid for), so my share of the shipping was about $12, not too bad.  Otherwise, for Xpresspost, I would actually have been paying more of the shipping than the customer did.  

We shall see.  This is a repeat customer with whom I have a good relationship, so if anything does go wrong I'm sure it can be sorted out in a reasonable way.  (Fingers crossed)...

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whoever told you that XpressPost to USA is 4-5 days is wrong. I use XpressPost to USA often for very expensive items and it is 2-3 business days and I always ship them on Mondays or Tuesdays and if it passed the on-time gaurantee, you can file a claim for a full refund. For your informaiton to ship to XpressPost to any places in California is never on time, even Los Angeles or San Francisco. I don't know why. I usually use lots of thick bubble wrap around item like vase or cookie jar (separetly lide from the jar) and then put newspapers or tissue papers around it and to ensure that it is not moving around inside the box. I usually use a large square box like a 12-dozen egg box or sturdy strong box from liquor store which are ideal for that kind of items to ship. And of course to use lots of fragile stickers on each sides and top and bottom. It is insane that any employees at Canada Post would threw the boxes with fragile stickers when they are supposed to handle them by hands. I have seen them doing that when I worked there as a casual from time to time. I even complained to the supervisors and they just shrugged their shoulders and ignore my complaints. NIce guys!! Eh!!
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:
Whoever told you that XpressPost to USA is 4-5 days is wrong. I use XpressPost to USA often for very expensive items and it is 2-3 business days and I always ship them on Mondays or Tuesdays and if it passed the on-time gaurantee, you can file a claim for a full refund. 

Yes, I'm fully aware of all this.  However, for the location in the U.S. that I was shipping to, the Canada Post "calculate a rate" screen gave a delivery time of 4 days for Xpresspost and 4 to 5 for Expedited.  

I am located in rural Nova Scotia, which also makes a big difference -- it adds at least a day at this end just getting the parcel to the Halifax airport and off to the processing facility at Ville St-Laurent, Quebec, so 3 to 4 days from my location for Xpresspost is the norm, and sometimes it has taken 5 (to destinations like California). 

Oh yes, and update:  my parcel got to the buyer within the 5 days, and in good shape, so all went well via Expedited!

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I buy and sell many fragile and delicate items (china, crystal & jewelry).  I always wrap the item in bubble wrap.  For a night gown that is delicate with lots of beads, I would still use bubble wrap to  give a "cushion" between the beads.  But more important, I would ship in a sturdy box bigger than the item.  Fill it in the bottom with styrofoam, place the item in the middle and then fill the box up to the rim.  Tap the box gently on the floor several times to make the styrofoam settle and then add more styrofoam.  When you close the lid, the packing should be right up to the top, without any cavities, so that the box is completely full.  This way you don't have to worry about the item shifting during shipping or the box being crushed.  There should be atleast 2" of styrofoam all around the item.

Ask yourself:  Would  it survive falling down a flight of stairs?  The answer should be "Yes".

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

Ask yourself:  Would  it survive falling down a flight of stairs?  The answer should be "Yes".

You are right about this where breakables, china, etc. are concerned, but breakage or damage from bumping and dropping is not the problem with fine silk garments.  Having dealt with and shipped such items, including formal gowns with beading, for many, many years, I would strongly disagree with using bubble wrap and styrofoam "peanuts" to ship such items and would not recommend it to new sellers of fine evening, bridal or other expensive gowns, for several reasons.  

Firstly, the plastic in bubble wrap is strong enough in itself that it can easily become caught on beads or other embellishment and tear them out of place, either during transit or when the customer unwraps the item.  Bubble wrap also tends to have rough enough edges that it can mar the surface of silk satin. 

In addition, bubble wrap can pack down a silk garment enough during transit to cause wrinkling and crushing of the textile.  It might be somewhat workable for wool or cotton garments, but I wouldn't use it on fine silks or linen. There is also the aesthetic problem - in my view it looks rather cheap and unattractive to send a custom-made pure silk evening gown wrapped in that way.  The final problem with bubble wrap is that it can't be properly bunched up like tissue paper to stuff into key areas like sleeves and bodices to keep them from being flattened during shipping.  

Styrofoam beads or peanuts have a strong electrical charge and tend to stick to silks and plastics, which makes for a really messy presentation when the buyer opens the box.  They are also a bit of a problem and annoyance to dispose of.  

Lastly, although styrofoam is good at preventing contact and breakage of brittle or hard items like china, metal or glass, in terms of protecting a beaded evening gown, they're completely unnecessary, because crushing blows from shipping aren't the concern.  The main concerns are wrinkling and tearing or dislodging of delicate embellishment.  Styrofoam may even have the unwanted effect of permitting the fabric to slide around a bit among the peanuts during transit, causing wrinkling and bunching.  

No, I take my cues from the couturiers and use fine tissue paper to stuff, gently wrap and loosely roll or fold fine garments for transit, slip the whole thing into a large plastic bag, then add some crushed tissue at the bottom of the box and either more crushed tissue on top or a layer of "air bags" -- the small, light, air-filled plastic cushions that can be purchased from shipping suppliers.  

When the purchaser opens the box packed in this manner, the garment can be quickly and easily unwrapped without accidental tearing or damage to the fabric or embellishment.  The wrapping can also be made to look beautiful upon opening, which is an important part of the delivery process.  I'm not sure a buyer would be happy to open a box and find her bridal gown wrapped in bubble wrap surrounded by a pile of styrofoam peanuts, many of which would be clinging to, or find their way into, the gown itself.  

The box for such items should not be too large, i.e. there should not be a great deal of leftover space around the garment, to prevent sliding or shifting.  What is more important is that box be the right shape so that folds in the garment can be minimized.   

For anyone shipping expensive silk garments, bridal gowns or evening gowns, this is the process I'd recommend.  Take another look at the link I posted above (post #9) for the Dior dress shipped to the ROM as an example of how the top professionals pack fine silk garments.  

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

That looks like something fell on it. Sometimes, stuff falls.

At an eBay seminar many years ago, a Canada Post speaker told us that most of the post runs on conveyor belts. Because of the way they are set up, from time to time a parcel will drop from one belt to another.

Because some parcels are large, the drop might be two feet.

The next parcel dropping could easily weigh fifty pounds.

We were told to package so that our items could withstand a two foot drop followed by having a 50 lb weight fall on top of them.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Are envelopes and boxes on the same conveyor? It would be stupid to have them together and have a 50 lb box land on a 500g bubble envelope for example, nothing would survive that no matter how you package it. Might as well have a five year old jump on your mail. This is why they make the big bucks I guess. Sounds like the conveyors do a lot of the transporting for them. Same with the people who handle your luggage at the airport, they throw it around like trash. Off topic. In the USA, Michigan I believe, some USPS workers took bags full of mail and threw them in a nearby garbage container, this has happened quite a few times apparently, crazy postal workers these days. Could you imagine what they would be capable of if they made minimum wage.
Message 18 of 18
latest reply