Buyer sent me a message saying he will not be paying

Hello everyone!

I'm still fairly new to selling, so I was hoping someone with more experience could help!  I just received a message from a buyer saying he will not be paying for an item.  This was a best offer listing.  If I were to cancel the transaction, would that count against me?  Or should I simply wait and open a non payment case?  There was no issue with the listing, he simply changed his mind.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Buyer sent me a message saying he will not be paying

If you choose to cancel, please be sure the buyer will accept the cancellation. EBay will ask you the reason for the cancellation and if you say it was at the buyer's request, I don't think you will have a defect.* If buyer accept, you will have your FVF credited. Both you and buyer can leave feedback.

If you go the Unpaid Item route, you will have to wait 4 days before opening the case and then another 4 days before closing it. You will have your FVF back IF the buyer does not pay. He will have a strike on his account, but won't be able to leave feedback. If he does pay, be sure to use Delivery Confirmation or at least insurance, just in case he claims an Item Not Received.

* Please correct me if I'm wrong

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hello!

Thanks for answering!  I have no problem with cancelling it for him, but not if it counts as a defect for me.  I'd like to help him out, sure but being new I can't take a chance at it ending up counting as a defect. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Another question about this issue, If I were to talk to the buyer, and we could work out a new price, could I simply do that with an invoice? If so, would my FVF reflect the new price or the initial price?  Does anyone know?

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

You can not bill the item's amount lower than the price it was sold for.

But you can deviate your shipping cost if you are willing to give your buyer the better deal and if this is not a case with FREE SHIPPING.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Because I am a cynical and nasty old lady, I would think three times and sing 'O Canada' before I made a new offer to this particular buyer.

He didn't bid on your listed price.

He made a lower offer, which you accepted. (Was this the extent of the bargaining?)

And now he tells you he won't pay the amount he offered.

Not, in my opinion, someone I want to be helpful to.

And his dog didn't die and he isn't in hospital, and he doesn't have cancer of the toenail, and he didn't lose his job. Just in case he is giving you a sob story.

But like I say, I'm cynical and nasty.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I have to thank you for giving me that laugh, I needed it!  This was his 3rd and final offer actually!  It wasn't too bad but yes, less than I listed it for!  He simply told me he will not pay for it because he didn't realize how much it was in Canadian funds.

Makes me at least WANT to be "cynical and nasty" as I feel that I've already given him a deal!

I tend to agree with your feeling on this matter, maybe I should just do the non payment?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

How could he not realize how much it was in CAD when eBay will show the automatic conversion...? I think that's a pretty lame excuse, unless this buyer is completely new at buying. 

I'd send this guy an unpaid item strike Smiley Frustrated Do you have your buyers block in place where you block people with too many strikes?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Yes I do have my listings set not to allow the  non payment buyers.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I would just cancel it using the reason that the buyer changed their mind. It is a customer requested cancellation so you won't get a defect.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply