Can I Send Someone a Pre-Paid PayPal Shipping Label?

I made a huge mistake today.

I sold two items yesterday -- one lettermail to Nova Scotia and an expedited parcel to Quebec.  I accidentally sent them both to the person in Nova Scotia.  I should have known something was up when the postage was almost $20.00 as compared to the $13.00 it would have cost to Quebec.

I contacted the buyer in Nova Scotia and asked him to kindly write "Return" on the parcel and send it back to me with postage to be paid at my end.

I explained the situation to the buyer in Quebec, offered my apologies and sent him a refund.  I told him that I would re-ship it to him as soon as it was returned but that the shipping delay would be significant.  I haven't heard back from him.

The Nova Scotia buyer was very kind and said that he would be happy to forward it directly to Quebec, pay the postage and I could reimburse him (oh, if all buyers were this lovely).  It then occurred to me that perhaps I could purchase a label and e-mail it to him.  However, I don't see how I could generate one with the correct postage from Nova Scotia to Quebec rather than Winnipeg to Quebec.

Is there a simple way of doing this that I'm not seeing? 

Thanks for your help.

(P.S. - I'm still waiting to hear back from the Quebec buyer, and hopefully not through a negative feedback, whether he's happy with this arrangement.)

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I know that can be done on the U.S. site for USPS but I don't think that we can do the same with Canada Post...at least not from the Paypal site.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Hi 'jt' -- 

I was hoping I could do the same thing last week to email a label to my sister-in-law to pay for a parcel she was sending (from BC to Nova Scotia), but she went to the P.O. before I could find out - so sorry, or I might have known the answer to your question. 

Perhaps try phoning Canada Post to see if they can tell you whether emailing labels is possible.  If it can be done, you might have to pay with a credit card using the CP site rather than via Paypal, I don't know. 

The alternative might be to get a rate off the Canada Post website for the package going to Quebec from N.S. (assuming you still know the weight and size of the parcel), and send the money in advance to that nice person in N.S. via Paypal, since I assume you'd have his email address for funds transfer.  

I hope this all works out well for you! 

P.S.  I have to add, reading your post, that this is what I love about Nova Scotia since moving here from BC (although I'm originally from Ontario) - people are generally just so incredibly nice to each other.  It's a sort of willingness to be friendly and helpful that you don't find many places these days.  So I'm actually not surprised by your N.S. buyer's offer to assist. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Okay, finally we can post again.

"you might have to pay with a credit card using the CP site rather than via Paypal"

Yes, Canada Post says I can use their site and enter the Nova Scotia address as the return address.  Then I can print the label, scan it and e-mail it to the Nova Scotia buyer who can print it out and affix it to the package.  I still haven't heard from the Quebec buyer though.

Honestly, this was a costly mistake.  $20 to ship to NS and $20 if returned to me, or possibly $15.00 if shipped from NS to Quebec. I had charged $12.95 original S&H.

Yes, rose-dee, I'm told that Atlantic Canadians are the friendliest people in the country, although you find good and bad everywhere.  Friendly Manitoba is a myth when it comes to drivers.  In fact, I have to share this Letter to the Editor in the Winnipeg Free Press which makes me laugh out loud every time I re-read it.

Over the Line

Being a Torontonian, who recently moved to Winnipeg, I must apologize to locals here for my behaviour.  In Toronto most of us are not as telepathic as the people in this great prairie city.

In recent months, I noticed that many Winnipeggers simply use their telepathy to inform other drivers around them of their intention to turn or change lines.  I know that it's annoying when newcomers, like myself, who do not have telephathic ability, come here and use "the old ways", but rest assured that I will soon develop the same telepathic ability and will stop annoying you with unnecessary flashing lights.

Once again, sorry for my backwoods behaviour and fear not, soon I will be one of you!

Zoran Stojanovic

Editor's Response:

Welcome to Winnipeg.  Forget everything you know about merging as well.

LOL

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

You can go to paypal shipping and edit your address, so you should be able to plug in the address you shipped to by mistake for sender , and the address of the buyer you want it to go to.

I can't see why not.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

When you edit Ship From address, you're allowed to add an address only. Then on your future shipments, you can select the address you want. But I would be reluctant to enter the Nova Scotia address as an option. I suppose I could add it for one label and then delete it, but it would be just as simple to purchase the label from the Canada Post website. In either case, I still have to scan it and e-mail it.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I see what you mean.  

But yes, you could add the address and delete right away............. but if CPO gives the same service and discounts then it's all the same.

Although I don't think they do.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Gets complicated, doesn't it?   They told you a scan is OK?

Good thing it only happens once in a while.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I believe I'll get a discount with my Venture One card on the Canada Post website. Well, she didn't really say that I could scan it, but when I asked if I could e-mail it to the customer, she said yes. So in order to do that I would have to scan it. I don't think it matters really because a tracking number can only be used once and, in this case, at his end. This whole issue could be moot if I don't hear from the Quebec buyer. I'm just waiting for him to confirm that he's okay with the arrangement. I don't know if he's ticked off and, with his refund, he's no longer interested. Or maybe he doesn't check his e-mail very often. If I don't hear, then the parcel can be returned to me directly and I'll pay the postage at the postal outlet or directly to the letter carrier.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I didn't realize that they can use a label that has been emailed..but that's good to know.

LOL I love that letter!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Got a kick out of JT's comment on the missing turn signals on Winnipeg cars & the inability to merge properly.

I think turn signals are an option on Winnipeg automobiles. 

Being away from Winnipeg for twenty years it was a real eye opener as i was used to signals constantly being used in Toronto, especially on the 401.

Don't get me started on Vancouver or Regina drivers though.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just got a kick out of the post.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

It's not a hijack Smiley Happy  The original issue is done, I think.

I talked to a cab driver recently who said he's driven in every major city down east but the rudest drivers he's encountered are here in Winnipeg. 

My brother just returned from Southern Alberta where he moved 15 years ago.  He's used to crawling around a small town of 1500 people and when he got here, he couldn't believe the constant honking of horns and then he realized they were directed at him. He was a nervous wreck when he got in the house.   LOL

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I ride my bike to work at HSC during nice weather but i notice the traffic goons from Academy & Stafford, across the bridge all the way to William Street.

I make it quicker to work on my bike due to the traffic snarls.

Glad i only have to take that route during the winter in my car.

Just avoid William, Sherbrook, McPhillips, Maryland before 8:30 am, after 4:30 pm when the eight hour shifts end & 8:30 pm when the twelve hour shifts end.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

i didn't read all the comments so forgive me if this is a repeat.

To send a prepaid waybill:

go to paypal/shipnow add the www. part in the beginning.

For the 'from' address, click edit, then put in the address from NS.

For the 'to' address fill in as normal for QC address

print to PDF

email to NS customer. You can get their email address from the sale confirmation email from ebay.

They print it out and attach and bob's your uncle.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thanks froogal.  We discussed the edit feature earlier in this thread where a seller could add an address, but I interpreted that as being a means of adding an alternate return address for the seller and not for inserting one-time random addresses. But adding and immediately deleting a single address after you've completed the label obviously is acceptable.

I also didn't know that you could save to file a completed label; I thought you could only print it, but I guess it's just something I never noticed.

Thanks again.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply