Can a seller ask for more shipping fees after the item has been paid for?

Hi everyone, hoping you can help me out with this - 

On March 15th I won an auction and paid immediately. A few days went by with no update on the status, no "shipped" message and no tracking #. Finally today I get this message out of the blue:

I double checked my email and paypal to be sure, but I haven't received any previous messages from the seller at all.

Can the seller do this? I've been buying on ebay for over 10 years and have never had anything like this happen.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Can a seller ask for more shipping fees after the ite...

Hello,

Your message was edited by the moderators because we are not allowed to directly quote communications with other members in our posts here. But I am assuming, based on the title of your post, that the seller invoiced you a higher dollar amount for postage than what you agreed to pay based on the stated amount in the listing? 

In short, no, a seller cannot ask for more money to ship an item after the listing has ended. It is their job to provide an accurate cost while the listing is active so that all buyers may make an informed purchasing decision based on total costs.

Be certain, however, that you are not looking at additional charged from Pitney Bowes. That is another matter entirely and your seller is using the Global Shipping Program, meaning that import taxes are bing collected upfront by ebay on your behalf. It is a legitimate program. Many sellers in the USA and UK would not ship outside their border without it. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

When an item is being shipped under the Global Shipping Program these words appear on the listing:

Customs services and international tracking provided

Greyed out and not visible on mobile devices, just to be contrary.

This program is only available to sellers in the USA and the UK, and are meant as Seller Protection. There is little or no benefit to the buyer.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

No, this shouldn't ever happen.

You've met all your obligations to the seller.

The seller best get the item shipped to avoid a 'Late shipment' defect and possible INR claim if the item isn't received within eBay's 'Estimated delivery' date.

Just sit back and wait.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@redberserkerj1 wrote:

Hi everyone, hoping you can help me out with this - 

On March 15th I won an auction and paid immediately. A few days went by with no update on the status, no "shipped" message and no tracking #. Finally today I get this message out of the blue:  ...

I double checked my email and paypal to be sure, but I haven't received any previous messages from the seller at all.

Can the seller do this? I've been buying on ebay for over 10 years and have never had anything like this happen.

Option 1. I'd respond to the message and ask them to what email are they referring.

Keep all messages within the eBay mail system (rather than directly), for evidence purposes. They might have mixed you up with some one else...

-.-

But, from your seller's feedback, this apparently is not the first time they have done this with an auction.

Option 2. They seem unreliable, so another choice is email and ask them if they want to cancel the sale, since they seem unwilling to deliver the item at the sale price with the delivery charge they asked for in the auction.

-.-

Message 5 of 5
latest reply