Canada’s true role in the Mideast conflict

Contributed to The Globe and Mail.

By Jean Chrétien

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/canadas-true-role-in-the-mideast-conflict/article2113834...

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Interesting reading,seems he is saying to stay on sideline of conflicts,so then we expect the USA to cover our backs ?
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Staying on the sidelines would mean the humanitarian catastrophe would continue to grow and grow. Chretien should have been asked what if all countries stayed on the sidelines. It's political hogwash he's spouting knowing that the polls support Harper 64% in sending F18s to help stem the humanitarian catastrophe.

Take on 50,000 Iraqui refreegees? Doubt the GTA could handle it. 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Staying on the sidelines would mean the humanitarian catastrophe would continue to grow and grow.

Bulltweet. These refugees are the product of the last poorly conceived war.

No doubt an Obama-led war is not going to be frivilously contrived and slackly planned as the Bush Iraq war was - but I still haven't seen anywhere near convincing analysis to show the rationale for it.

Let Canada do what it does well.

Chretien has more wisdom in his left ear lobe than the entire Harper cabinet. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Sadly the result of war is the same! We scrap get up then shake hands if were lucky to have hands to shake for peace.
I don't know the answers but do know the results of war, war breeds more wars.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

"Chretien has more wisdom in his left ear lobe than the entire Harper cabinet. "

Right on. Let the US police the world and Canada act as a hospital. No Canadian military lives will be lost. No enemies will be gained. Our land will not be open to attack and be at peace.

He knows the politics of the middle east. Harper takes cue from the US which have been at war over there for more than 10 years. More war coming soon to a theater near you.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

We're doing exactly what the radicals/fanatics want. We are their best recruiting tool. 

Photobucket
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

That may well be however if ISIS were left to run it's course can you envision what the Middle East would look like with ISIS controlling 65% world oil production, imposing and practicing sharia law the length and breadth.

Can you envision ISIS controlling OPEC? I guess the West would opt out and suffer higher energy prices.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

valve where do you get your information?

According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), in 2011 the top ten oil-producing countries accounted for over 63% of the world's oil production. As of November 2012, Russia produced 10.9 million barrels of crude per day, while Saudi Arabia produced 9.9 million barrels.

Top oil producers: According to IEA top 10 oil producer countries produced over 64 % of the world oil production in 2012. The top oil producers in 2012 were: Russia 544 Mt (13 %), Saudi Arabia 520 Mt (13 %), United States 387 Mt (9 %), China 206 Mt (5%), Iran 186 Mt (4 %), Canada 182 Mt (4 %), United Arab Emirates 163 Mt (4 %), Venezuela 162 Mt (4 %), Kuwait 152 Mt (4 %) and Iraq 148 Mt (4 %).

In 2012 total oil production was 4,142 Mt.  In 2011 the world oil production was 4,011 Mt demonstrating an annually rising trend in oil production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_oil_production

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

25% then, still scary.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Isolate the country and led there own leader deal with it or should i say force them to deal with it or fall ...

ISIS is 100% the outcome of the last war ...

Where did ISIS get all there weapons ... Oooo ya thats right those are all the weapons the US,Russia and others left there ...

It is so crazy how politics and media just suck the realistic and rational out of peoples heads..

There are 2 Solution .. We as in all countries involved take over the entire country or we stay out and let them take care of it ... Everyone talks about ISIS well what about the Assad regime what about the rest taking care of isis will not stop the murders and the **bleep** etc....

Obama Stayed out because he knew this but then the good old media and war hungry politics put enough pressure on him ... I mean really i feel bad for the beaheaded reporters but seriously if you gonna do something do it because of all the young men and women being raped and murdered by the 1000's not because 4 Brits and americans were somehwhere they never should have been ..

it is sad what are options really are but sometimes the right thing is a very tough and sad choice to make ..

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

This whole mess over there, we asked for it. "We" meaning either or direct involvement or the involvement of our 'friends' with our support, or at best silent approval.

Of course this didn't start recently, the fire was set long long ago, quietly, subtly, without a majority of us even knowing what was happening , even if we would have cared. Another place far away, out of sight, out of mind. But the flames were really fanned back in the late 1800's. British colonialism (for lack of a better word), then deals with the rich and influential, then betraying the Arab people, then the formation of a State that doesn't belong there, then the coup to steal Iran's oil and then and then and then, it goes on and on and on. We've been poking and prodding and pushing and lying and invading and stealing for a long, longggggggg time and WE created angry people, resentful people, and we opened the door to the angry leaders and those we call fanatics and radicals.

So here's the question, when are we going to take responsibility for our actions past and present? When are we going to grow a conscience for what we have done and what we have created? Until we do, more people will cry, more families will feel loss, more hate will be created and those in power and those who serve wars will become even more wealthy at everyone else's expense.

06300614.jpg

Photobucket
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@2014sportsterguy wrote:
Interesting reading,seems he is saying to stay on sideline of conflicts,so then we expect the USA to cover our backs ?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Most of us agree that ISIS is evil. But everyone needs to understand that ISIS is (in)direct result of American foreign policy and Canada should distance herself from such policy. For a long time Canada had image as peacemaking nation while USA is largely perceived as warmongering nation, although I think Canada is losing this image by participating in US lead conflicts.

The brutality and casualties of the NATO troops is often exceeding that of original perpetrator (e.g. Taliban) and this is how hatred is fueled and ISIS was born. If Canada wishes ISIS to grow, we should just do what we were doing but we should not expect different results if we keep doing the same thing over and over. America has created lot of enemies and these enemies who would normally not join ISIS are now fighting alongside ISIS. They do not have common goal, but they have common enemy.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Yes 9/11 created a lot of hatred and how soon we forget.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

The area that Isis conquered in Iraq could give the Jidhadist army excess to some 2500 rockets containing Sarin gas.

Left over from a previous USA gulf war! Saddam moved 98% of it to Syria !
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@valve37 wrote:

Yes 9/11 created a lot of hatred and how soon we forget.

9/11 was an attack by few delusional fanatics from Afganistan. USA retaliated and destroyed entire country leaving in their footsteps tens of thousand civilian casualties and millions displaced. If that does not create army of anti-american fanatics, then nothing will.

And that does not even touch on USA not minding their own business and sticking nose to Syria, where they sponsored and armed groups that are today known as ISIS. You reap what you sow.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Dip micro I agree with your post,it's not likely the USA or the planet will solve this conflict in our life time, sad.
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

I thought Chrétien's article was well thought out and based on experience.

Canada can contribute 6 Cf-18's but compared to what the American's and other's have, it's not much. He's right about that. One American aircraft ship can hold and launch 60 fighter's. So how much of a difference does 6 Canadian fighters make?

I don't mean to be-little our effort but you have to be realistic. Canada does not have the military might to make a big difference.

Canada can make a big difference. Not in a military bombing way but in a humanitarian way. We can provide food, medical help, shelter, etc. to those that are fleeing. We could take all the money we plan on spending on bombing and put it to use helping those that are fleeing.

I know it's not as glorious or high profile but it would be doing something that is desperately needed by so many. That is the Canadian way.

Unless each day can be looked back upon by an individual
as one in which he has had some fun, some joy, some
real satisfaction, that day is a loss.
Message 18 of 18
latest reply