Canadian Taxes on .com listings??

microrecycling
Community Member
Does anyone have a method of automatically adding the proper Canadian taxes to ebay.com listings?

They only seem to give the option of US States and I called the powerseller hotline and they are saying there is no solution.

Currently we request Canadian buyers to add the appropriate taxes to their totals but 9 out of 10 buyers don't do it and it results in a delay in our shipping waiting for a second paypal transaction of usually only 5 to 10 dollars in taxes. Is there a way to calculate this automatically or some better method than what we are currently using?

Thanks in advance!

John
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

treasure-pot
Community Member
Nothing that will properly calculate taxes - you can set your Paypal preferences to charge tax to Canadian buyers but it can only be set as a percentage and will not reflect accurately.

For instance, you can set it to charge the 6% GST but then it will not charge applicable RST to your provinces residents. Or you could set it to charge 14% HST but it will charge everyone that rate regardless of their province od residence.

eBay and Paypal have been promising a imminent "fix" for this issue for more than two years. As it is not an issue for either eBay or Paypal that will make them money it appears to be of very low priority. It gets lip service and not much else

It has been noted by many Canadian sellers that both eBay and Paypal are very capable of charging appropriate taxes for the 50 states of the Union but they seem incapable of understanding the Canadian sales tax system and addressing the needs of Canadian sellers in only 10 provinces and three territories.

If and when they ever do create a solution on eBay, it will only be applicable if you list your items on the Canadian site. If Paypal comes up with a fix, it won't matter where you list.

Bill

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

microrecycling
Community Member
I was afraid of a response like this, but I appreciate you taking the time to deliver the bad news 😉

Thanks Bill!!
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

duujogl
Community Member
We can't even count on the correct taxes on the .ca site - there's no way in the everlovin' blue-eyed world that we'll get correct taxes on .com!

I have 2 ID's - one lists on .com ('cause that's the site my listing program is set for) and for the other we use .ca. For the past four (count 'em four!) days, the .ca site (or at least our customers or maybe paypal!) have gotten the taxes right - I'm not holding my breath!!

Glenda
Message 4 of 4
latest reply