Canadian dollar exchange rate discussion

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
Hi,

Like many of you (selling in US$), I am keeping an eye on the exchange rate everyday. Analysts and economists are always trying to predict where it is going and why it is changing, but most of the time they curiously don't seem to know what they are talking about - a few weeks ago, many predicted more or less $0.85 during the summer of 2009, but the complete opposite is actually happening...

As it is an important topic for most Canadian sellers, here's the perfect place to discuss about it, to share news, opinions and predictions.

I believe this discussion will be kept alive, as there's always something to say about our unpredictable currency !

So, what are your thoughts about today's exchange rate ? ([url http://xe.com]http://xe.com[/url])
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

What goes up must come down.

The markets are pricing the exchange at about 15% over the next year.

If you can wait long enough, it's not that bad. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. Carl Sagan

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
The exchange rate is $0.927 in the middle of the day (August 6), it's lowering more than what I've seen this week so far, just like oil, precious metals, TSX and DOW JONES. Can't wait to see it back to $0.90 or even $0.85, as profit margin is thinning these days on eBay... No need to say that I really miss when it was $0.78, a few months ago.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I remember when it was in the .60 range - I just loved hearing from my US distributor then. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. Carl Sagan

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

ameroindustries
Community Member
My bets CND dollar is at 1.20 in 1 year 😛

Usd dollar is a sinking ship . Why else would they quit making public the M3 Money Supply . Dread the day Chinese decide to cause world war 3 in the banking world and dump usd dollars .. Worthless currency it is .
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If China wanted to wreak havoc, they'd have done it already. It's in their own interest to keep USD high. 2 trillion USD held by Asians is a big asset to loose. Also USD is still a global currency backed by economy of the world as opposed to CAD backed only by economy of Canada.

Natural ratio CAD/USD has been designed for 1:1, this is how the currencies were designed and stayed for long. USD being higher is the result of overrating US economy and overspending in the past (spending=circulation=demand for currency) on Bush family military projects. US cut cost, stopped over-spending and USD naturally goes down where is belongs.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply