Canadians like American Dollar listings?

I've been vacillating between US and CAD dollar listings. I find that 50% of my buyers are canadian, and in fact I cater to them by offering products that are often sent from the states by UPS ground.

I've found that Canadians don't seem to care what currency they pay in, even though there are obviously disadvantages paying US. It's gotten to the point where sometimes US buyers buy CAD dollar listings and the next day when I change currencies Canadians buy USD listings! It seems silly.

Basically Paypal is getting another 5% of our transaction costs.

Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I've found that Canadians don't seem to care what currency they pay in

Probably because they are smart enough to figure out what something actually costs after factoring in exchange if any.

If you really have so many Canadian buyers (much higher than average but understandable considering what you sell) why don't you give them the chance to pay you in CA$, let your Canadian buyers know that they can pay in CA$ equivalent, you could even offer a slight discount and still save money (both you and the buyer).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

bare_bright
Community Member
"why don't you give them the chance to pay you in CA$, let your Canadian buyers know that they can pay in CA$ equivalent, you could even offer a slight discount and still save money (both you and the buyer)."

That's a great Idea! recped you are a great asset to this board & while I am here I thank you also for replying many of times to my concern's

:)
T.J.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

That's a great Idea!

In theory of course...the problem is that buyers would have to pay from PayPal using "send money" instead of eBay Checkout.

A large number of buyers have no idea how to do this! I offer ALL Canadian buyers a chance to pay my US$ sales in CA$ but very few take me up on it even though they would save a little bit.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Canadian buyers are still able to send an e-mail money transfer from one bank to yours! Most definitely an easy way to go and saves you, the seller, the fees!

Susan
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Do the PayPal check out, issue a PayPal refund for the appropriate amount after payment is received. You NEED those transaction tracking.

Offering an item for the same number of dollars in 2 currencies with a 20% spread will ultimately lead to buyer dissatisfaction with one group or the other and could become an incentive for buyer extorion.

Pick one currency. Listing in CAD makes life easy on the back end. Listing in USD will attract US buyers because Americans don't know that other countries have their own currency, most think Canadian bank notes come in cerial boxes and the plastic Austrailian currency comes from a board game.

The thing you do need to remember is that the eBay software can't combine items listed in different currencies, into one invoice.

My rule of thumb is to list in the currency that is worth less, that way the group will bid stuff up if they notice they are paying 20% less. For BIN listings go back to the one currency model.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply